Amitryptiline instead of Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BEARANDBUGSMOM, Jul 15, 2006.

1. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

I went to my primary yesterday and told her that I didn't like the Cymbalta that I was taking and she prescribed Amitryptiline, which is an older antidepresant that makes you sleepy so you take it at night and it's supposed to help fibro patients? Has anyone taken this I would like to find out some info from folks who have used this.

Thanks folks!
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi i use amitriptyline and take it at night. it doesnt make me sleepy at all but it acts as a muscle relaxant and has the added plus of keeping the pain and knotting away so i can stay asleep.

i am on 50mg which seems a small amount compared to some ppl here but its the right amount for me

goodluck xxxx
  3. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

I have been taking amitryptiline for a little over a year. Started on 25 mg. now on 75. I can't sleep without it and it has helped alot with the pain. I did gain 10 pounds, but I needed to do that anyway!!
  4. rainbow2006

rainbow2006 New Member

Hi! I used to take Amitryptiline when 1st diagnosed with FMS, now i'm drug free taking natural vitamins you can drink and absorb within 5 minutes. I will never take another drug if I can avoid it! I was diagnosed in 1993 after a serious car accident! Now I have no symtoms of FMS! So you can lead a normal life! Educate yourself Please!
  5. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I actually take both Cymbalta and Amitryptiline -- the cymbalta was prescribed to help with pain (from Lyme - lots of FMS type pain) and then the ami. added for better sleep.

I do find that the ami. helps with sleep and I seem more relaxed overall-- I haven't had any bad effects from either one (except a dry mouth, which makes me drink more water).

It is one of the older drugs, as you mentioned, so its safety record is better established than the newer ones. It also works as a migraine preventative for a lot of people, from what I've read and heard.

6. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

This was one of the first drugs my rheumy put me on( as I often say) back in the dark ages (I was DIAGNOSED about 25 years ago.)

It did not help that much with the pain and as my body adjusted I thought I might need more, and as a result of being on the drug I developed tinnitus (constant ringing in my ears.)

I did not increase the dose, she started me on the lowest dose.

Good luck, hope it helps

June
  7. hangten52

hangten52 New Member

I've been on it Amit. for about 6 years now. It's actually the only medicine that the doc hasn't changed. When Cymbalta came out, I changed from Paxil to Cymbalta but did not feel the Cymbalta worked both anxiety & depression I suffer. Only helped w/depression. I am now on Prozac and Amitryp.

I take the Amitryptiline 12 hours b4 I plan on getting up in the morning, so if I'm planning on getting up at 6am, I take it 6pm night b4-that way I wake up refreshed without that groggy feeling. I'm on 50mg-have tried higher dosages but when I do go above the 50mg my legs ache really bad.

donna
  8. maxsy1221

maxsy1221 New Member

Rainbow....
    Can you please elaborate on your protocol to wellness?? Also, how long have you been pain free??? Thnx!
  9. nancylovescats

nancylovescats New Member

I would love to be off all the meds I am on. thanks
  10. BonBons

BonBons New Member

It does work vrey well, but I went from normal to looking like a big hog after taking it a year. Don't know which is worse. I took 60mgs. Bonnie