Amytriptillin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by iamhueyok, Nov 17, 2005.

1. iamhueyok

iamhueyok New Member

I have been on a low dose(10 mg.half in afternoon and half at night) which is really helping me to sleep through the pain better. I used to use Tylenol PM but could not shake the blues that it caused. I think the key for me is to use this antidepressant for sleep and try to stay on the lowest dose as then I will not get side effects. I feel much more positive about things now and can accept stresses much better. I am 69 and have had FM and OS since my 30's.
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I used to take Amytriptillin at night as an AD and to help prevent migraines. It helped me sleep alright - all through the night and most of the next day. Plus if I had to get up to go to the restroom or something it was like I was drunk or something but worse. I felt like I had no control over my body and I would run into stuff, etc. My doctor had warned me to be careful if I had to get up after taking it, but it was terrible. Maybe I was just really sensitive to it though. Maybe I was on too high of a dose!!

I'm really glad that its working for you. It is GREAT to get through the forest of meds to finaly find something that works for you!!
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

That was one anti-depressant that got me out of my blues and my terrible bout of anxiety when I had lost my 3rd family member last year & my hubby was in the hospital @ the same time!

It is a good feeling when you find what works especially when it can help you have a more positive attitude because that is what keeps us going!

Thinking of you!
    Kelly
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i use that i now have 50mg at night, i find it gets me off to sleep and i dont wake up too easily
  5. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

I have been taking amitriptyline for years. I have gone any where from 250mg at night to completely going off of it (with Dr. involvement). I am currently on 50mg at bedtime and it does help he sleep through the night. When I was completely weaned off of it my restless leg syndrome was really bad - that is actually why I went back on it again. It also helps me not to pee as much too. I know that sounds weird, but if you research it you will find that low doses of anti-depressants are prescribed for Urge Incontenance.
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hey ! ... it helps my nervous bladder too ! I bet there are a few of us that are grateful for that benefit !
    I take 100 mgs at night .. but my sleep is still poor .. even with zopiclone ( Lunesta ? ) .. but over all the amitriptilyne does help a lot.
    Fudge : )
  7. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I too take amitriptylene (100 mg) combined with 40 mg of chlordiazapoxide (Librium). Most nights I sleep great; but there are those occasional nights when I'm just too wound up to sleep.

I do not wake up feeling groggy in the morning, but, yes, getting up in the night to pee can be dangerous! Drives my dh nuts that I walk all over the house without turning on any lights - he doesn't get it that I have light sensitivity.
  8. Txslady

Txslady New Member

I started on 25mgs at night and the next day I felt drunk until about 3:00. I cut it in half for the first two months and then went back to 25mgs. It has worked wonderful for me. It has stopped the headaches and muscle aches. I also take Librax twice a day for IBS so this combined with the Amitriptaline is a good combination for me. You can actually get the two drugs together in one pill.

Shannon
  9. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Not only do I take 80mg at night to help me sleep, but my bird also takes .01cc to help with her obsessive compulsive disorder. At least hers is Tutti Frutti flavored!

I've been able to get into a deeper sleep since I started, and my bird has stopped plucking out all her feathers since she started!

It seems to serve it's purpose pretty well.

~Amanda
  10. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Maybe I should give it another try but with a much lower dose to see if that helps with the drunk/groggy hangover feeling. Hmmmm. Thanks for the thread!!
  11. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I take it too, I guess the generic version. 25 mg at night with 1 Ambien and 1 Mirapex. I have RLS also. I dont feel hungover the next morning. I dont really have any side effects either. Its like clockwork though..I take them at 8 pm, I get sleepy at 9 pm, I am in bed asleep before 10 pm!
  12. Joshc

Joshc New Member

I was on this medication for 3 years. I worked very well for gettign to sleep, but it cause me to have a whole bunch on side effects including sleep hangover, constipation, restless leg syndrome and irratability. I switched to ambian for a month which caused me to sleep walk each night and now I'm on 75mg a noght of seroquel, If you haven't tried seroquel and are unhappy with your sleep med I would highly recommend it I have been on it for 3 years now and it has retained it's effectiveness, The only symptoms I have of FMS still are the muscle pain and weekness this solved my depression and sleeping problems.
  13. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I find it truly mind boggling how we all react so varied to the meds. I have been on Elavil since the end of September. Started at 10mg and have slowly moved up to 75mg at night - I take it at 7:00 p.m. every night and for the past 2 weeks - I have slept through the night except for one night. I take a low dose of Zoloft too before bed.

I also wake up easier since I stopped taking the Tylenol PM. My doctor also switched when I take my flexiril - now I take one in the morning and one when I get home in the afternoon from work. For the first week I was a bit groggy but miracle of miracles, I experience little pain through out the day just like the doctor told me I would. I take no pure pain med any more (anti-inflammatories or otherwise)and I realized today that I feel almost normal.

Dare I say this out loud...maybe for the first holiday season in a long time, I will feel good enough to keep all of my committments without getting sick!

Good luck!