an exercise question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Aug 6, 2003.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

ok, folks, I really need some input here. I've been faithfully getting on my treadmill about 3 times a week, 4 if I can, for 30 minutes and about 1.4 miles. My goal is increased fitness level and weight loss. The problem is that often the treadmill time uses up whatever energy I have. Darn. Exercise is supposed to energize, not drain me! What is going on here? Yes, I have fibro, but exercise is supposed to help, not hinder.

My school year starts again at the end of the month, so I'll be going back to work. I am a school nurse in a very busy high school health office, which requires focus and energy from me. I am not sure if I can manage working and treadmilling too, but hate to lose whatever fitness benefits I've accrued so far. This is very frustrating.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you,
    Beth.
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

My suggestion is to cut back the amount of time you walk on the treadmill each time. If you do 15 minutes each time, you'll still be working your muscles but won't exhaust yourself. A little bit is better than nothing. Remember, those of us with FMS have to reserve our energy. We have to spread it around, and we have less to spread. So instead of stopping, just cut back your time. I hope this makes sense and helps you!!!!

Annette2
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We need to exercise, but if it zaps all our energy, it is too much. You might try 15 mins. on the treadmill and another 15 doing some stretching and flexing exercises to retain strength and flexibility.

Love, Mikie
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

show that you can even break up your exercise. That is, two 10-minute sessions of exercise are as beneficial as one 20-minute session. Maybe you could go down to 15 minutes as suggested, then if you have the energy later in the day, do another 15 minutes.
  5. IngyW68

IngyW68 New Member

Hi there,

One thing that works for me when I am too exhausted to do aerobic activity is some light weight lifting. I do leg and arms sets, lunges, and sit ups and then I am done. It takes about 15 minutes and gives me energy. Also, I have been taking Green Tea Extract supplements from the Vitmain Shoppe along with Chromium Picolonate which has helped with weight loss. THere are no side effects or reactions to medication with these two. At least that is what my Dr. and Pharmacist said. I hope this might help some.

Take care and I hope you have a low pain day.

Ingrid

6. Drea

Drea New Member

People with FMS have low levels of a hormone, DHEA. When we exercise the little bit we have gets used up, therefore causing lingering fatigue after exercise. My suggestion, like many other people have suggested, is to do small intervals instead of using one big burst of energy. Hope this helps.
  7. RedB

RedB New Member

before or after your school day to walk the halls?

We have walkers in several schools by us, in addition to our malls. I don't know if it is as physical, but it seems to me that it would be close enough.

Kathy
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

thank you all. I'll try breaking down the walk sessions to 15 minutes. Might be easier to get motivated, too, as this is not my favorite thing to do.

Good idea to walk at school. The school is new, has an interesting design. The main classroom building is enormous, has long hallways that go in a big circle. At lunch, since I take my lunch (when I get a lunch break!) while the kids are in class, I could walk those halls. If the weather is nice, a hike up the hill to the playing fields would be good, too. Great suggestion, as then I wouldn't have to force myself to walk in the evenings when I'm worn out. A brief walk mid-day would probably (hopefully) wake me up and energize me for the afternoon.

I knew I could count on the wonderful folks here for encouragement and help.

Peace,
    Beth.