An update ........ Healthwise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjfms, Jan 7, 2007.

1. kjfms

kjfms Member

I haven't been around a lot lately. The truth is I haven't been feeling very well and have been struggling just to make it to work and back home.

My FMS seems to be flaring yet again and although I can't prove it I would lay money it has to do with the pituitary tumor.

Of course the weather is taking a turn for the worse so that does have a lot to do with it but it seems to be a pretty bad flare coming on.

My knees, neck, back, legs, and oh good grief just about every body part hurts -- you guys know exactly what I mean thank goodness.

I would say spending Friday doing medical transcription for 12 hours did not help at all -- tape problems, key board problems, eye problems, computer problems, and OMG you name it problems and I had them.

Friday was the worse day ever since I started this job -- I swear if I do not get a new key board I am going on strike.

The one they making me use is obsolete and giving me carpal tunnel because the keys do not work half the time...aargghh

My back is still killing me and I can't get to sleep at all the weather...Anyway...(deep breath) :)

I am slowly adjusting to the news of my pituitary tumor doubling in size in just 11 months. I am trying to stop feeling so sorry for myself and to start taking action.

I have never been one to stay down for long -- mentally anyway.

I have started back on Synthroid and think this will make a big difference.

My dose has been increased to 100mcg from 88mcg of Levoxyl before that I was on 75mcg of Levoxyl and having started and been on 50mcg for way too long.

I am hoping this will stop my hair from falling out -- I have lost so much. I did however find a very good product the other day while I was at the dollar store called SunSilk Anti-Flat and it does wonders for thinning hair...YAHOO!!

It just takes one pump on medium length hair and work through from roots to end then blow dry as usual and it really gives a lot of body.

I couldn't believe it something that actually did what it said -- a miracle indeed and a little lift for my spirits (I'm easy).

2 years ago when I had a good medical coding job with insurance my endocrinologist had me on 88mcg Synthroid and I did great on it.

Funny how life changes isn't it...now have no insurance and I go to a sliding fee clinic and a free clinic and work part time.

I want to work full time had planned to find another part time job because I need to keep the job I have -- because I get an employee discount on prescription drugs.

Then I get blind sided by this pituitary tumor on top of the FMS, Chronic Migraines, and the Hypothyroidism secondary to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and all the other crap...

So I guess I will just have to play it by ear and see what happens.

Thanks for letting me share and thanks so much if you actually read any or all of my babbling heck it just feels good to ramble sometimes doesn't it?

Take care,

Karen :)

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Of course I read it all the way through...

I have a spare keyboard just sitting around and it's fairly new (a few months) too. Wish I could find a way and I'd send it to you.

I hope you feel better soon, let's hope you don't go into a full fledged flair anytime soon. Hey, while we're at it, let's shoot for putting that one off for a few years!!!

You've been dealing with a lot lately, don't be too hard on yourself.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hey, Karen!

I'm really sorry you're feeling not-so-good. I used to have problems typing, too. It helped alot when I propped up my elbows. Not just my wrists, but both. Because even if your wrists are propped, you are still using your shoulders to hold up your elbows. I would have to lie on the bed with my laptop on my lap and 2 big supplement bottles under each elbow. It was the only way I could type. I see it's just a small part of your problem but that and a new keyboard should bring some relief. Are you working at home or in an office where you could Just swap keyboards with somebody without telling them? (hee hee)

I worked with computers in my office for 12 years before I got sick and I used to get horrible pains in the neck and between the shoulder blades from holding up my arms.

good luck with everything

karen
  4. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Sorry you are having such a tough time of it lately. I'm sure the extra worry about the tumor isn't helping matters either.

I know what you are going through with the thyroid meds. I had to have mine removed in 1998 and it took 18 MONTHS to get my dose right. I look back on it now and wonder how I got through it, but we always do don't we?

We are stronger than we think and I will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Lynna
  5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I am really confused about this thyroid tumor thing. I would imagine it is causing almost all of your symptoms. Do they have to wait to remove it for some reason?

I read one of your earlier posts about this and although I don't remember the details I recall thinking the same thing then.

Hang in there, my thoughts are with you.

Shar
  6. NEWSEDITOR44

NEWSEDITOR44 New Member

Karen, sending you some prayers and lots of love to help you get through this. hang in there, we'll be thinking of you!
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

georgiac, and newseditor44.

Hi Nancy B -- Thank you!! :) Once I started typing I just started rambling and it felt kind of good ya know? Oh than you for the thought but it is my employers responsibility to get me a new keyboard. They think medical transcription is important and give us left overs and pieces of crap.

I love your thought of putting of the flare but unfortunately it is a full blown flare but the good news is I see my DO Thursday so maybe she can do something she is pretty good and I have pain medication so I'll survive :) it just hurts really as you know I am sure. It is really cold and snowing here so it is making it worse -- I just had to have my snow...LOL

Hi Karen -- Love the name BTW...LOL ;) I would love to do that but I can't do it at work no arms on my chair unfortunately. Yeah typing is hard on my neck, shoulder, and back too. Thanks for you good wishes I really appreciate them :)

Hi Lynna -- It is so nice of you to send me well wishes and you are so right the thyroid is though enough without the pituitary tumor messing with and making my TSH to keep raising but yes we are stronger than we realize. I will accept those good thoughts and I really appreciate them :)

Hi Shar -- Yes it is confusing. Let me see if I can clear this up for you just a little :)

You see I have Hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is an autoimmune disorder. My body thinks my thyroid is foreign and antibodies attack my thyroid.

As for the the tumor -- it is a Pituitary tumor in the pituitary gland located in my head. The pituitary gland controls the thyroid gland and that is why I am having so many problems. That and the fact that I have no insurance which makes everything a little more difficult. All of this affects and makes my FMS worse very much worse...

There are several different kinds of pituitary tumors and the endocrinologist isn't quite sure what kind mine is (because my hormones may be fluctuating). A few have been ruled out but is still a possibility that is may be one of three or four and that is where the treatment plan which include -- Drugs. Surgery and Radiation. Drugs and radiation.

It started out really small 4-5mm and in 11 months it grew to 1.3 x 1.1 x 1 cm about double in size. This was discovered just before the holidays and I have an appointment on the 24th of this month to find out more.
    I hope this helps. Thanks.

Hi Wake -- Oh sorry you are not feeling well either and that is odd you sound like me down to the dark circles. I have an appointment on the 24th can't be soon enough. I am going Friday to do the blood work. He want another CBC which I just did 2 weeks ago and this concerns wonder why he is wanting another I will have to wait on this one. This endocrinologist will not allow copies to be released until he discusses the results with you and personally I think that is the way it should be -- save a lot of confusion. He is also doing some other test to see what if any hormones is being put out by the tumor.

Yeah I work but just part time 3-4 days a week but at the rate I am going I am not sure how long that is going to last. That is why I am want some sort of treatment with this tumor I know I will feel better with it under control. Thanks sweetie :)

Wake I sure hope you feel better soon too. I don't know what the heck is up with us but I sure am tired of it how about you?

Take care of you too :)

Hi Georgia -- Oh I am so glad to hear you are doing better. Wow 300 mcg that is a lot isn't? Was you TSH pretty high? Thank you so much for taking time to think of me and to wish me well :)

Hi newseditor44 -- Thank you so much for your prayers I really appreciate them and the love you are sending my way. I hope you are doing OK :)

Thanks again all for cheering me up,

[This Message was Edited on 01/09/2007]
  8. kjfms

kjfms Member

Thank you so much for the hugs so I haven't answered -- I have not been ignoring you :)

I hear you on the broccoli I haven't been to the store lately but will get some on my next trip.

I got all of my blood work done today for the endocrinologist so he will have the results for my appointment on the 24th.

Thanks for the support.

9. kjfms

kjfms Member

I know what you mean I feel the best if mine is at 0.9 at last check my was 1.42 still too high so we went to 100 mcg

I will keep you in my thought and hope all is well with you tests and that you do not need an increase :)

Thank you I am not great but hanging in there I will be seeing the endocrinologist soon and hopefully will at least get started on a regimen that will help a little with the fatigue.

Cold? Oh yes Buuuuurrrrr but it is going to be in the high 40s over weekend Wooohooo heat wave for us. It has been in the low teens and 20s to cold.

I feel so sorry now for the people in the mid west OMG we did not have it nearly as bad as what they're getting -0 to -35 or so I just cannot handle right now.

Take care Georgia.

10. findmind

findmind New Member

Twelve hours!? I would have to go to the ER after that! Poor thing, I hope you get some good rest and time off to stay warm and maybe a good Epsom bath!

I type with a sokabawa (or is that sobakawa?) pillow on my lap! It molds itself to my wrists and lower arms and is so, so helpful.

Can you sit back in your chair, prop your feet on a low drawer of desk or even a cardboard box filled with files or something and hold the keyboard in your lap on a pillow or beanbag type one?

See what you can do to get that new keyboard; a person with a disability is supposed to be "accommodated".

Hope this cold weather clears us soon; it is very painful and my muscles freeze up!

((((((((HUGS)))))))))
    findmind
  11. kjfms

kjfms Member

Yes 12 hours and believe me it took a few days to get over that and I got a "new" used key board -- yahoo so much better than the one I have it is like a new thank goodness. I really do not care if it is new or not just as long as the damn thing works properly.

I guess I spent too many hours there and they finally decided to find me one that works...LOL

No I can't set back in my chair or prop my feet up or anything like that. I am a medical transcriptionist and have to work a foot pedal in order to do my job properly but hopefully there won't be anymore days like that -- keep your fingers crossed.

We have to do what we have to do -- don't we?

((((((((HUGS back at ya)))))))

Prickles -- Oh thank you so much and I hope you are hanging in there too. How is school going? How many new friends have you made? A couple I hope :)

I will look into the flax seed but it seems I have read it isn't too good for the thyroid but then I may be mistaken I will have to look that up and see.

Thanks prickles for the suggestion I really appreaciate it and your support. I checked out your site -- WOW!! You have a lot to be proud of and you have worked very hard on it -- way to go :)

Take care.

12. kjfms

kjfms Member

Wake -- did you ever get anyone to compare the two MRIs of your pituitary? If you haven't I wish you would because you symptoms sure do sound a lot like mine -- headache, no energy, etc...

I am a little concern for you see if you can get someone to compare the two OK?

I am hanging in there -- got dishes and some laundry done today so that is good :)

I hope you feel better soon and please take care of you and hugs to ya sweetie. Try alternating heat and cold on your neck and head that helps sometimes.

Talk to you soon,

prickles -- You're are more than welcome I actually checked it out quite a while back and even signed you guest book if I remember right.

Oh well prickles it is their loss because you are a great person and their missing out. I should say you aren't the least lonely you are so busy how would you have time...LOL

You wear me out when I just read you threads-- in a good way...LOL

Oh sweetie don't let them get you down they're not worth it and you are probably better off without them.

I will agree with you on the boredom -- I rarely get bored myself. There is always a good book to read, laundry, and amy number of thing to liven up one's day.

I haven't had a chance to look up flax yet but will let you know when I do.

Take care,

13. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I'm sending well wishes your way!!! YOu deserve a break!!

bigmama2
  14. kjfms

kjfms Member

Prickles -- Thanks again sweetie and it may not sound like a lot but when one is ill it is quite a lot in reality isn't it? :)

TC -- Karen :)

Bigmama2 -- Nice to meet you and thank you so much for taking time out to send me some good wishes. It is very kind of you and so appreciate them.

Take care -- Karen :)