ANA test...anyone have this come back elevated??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Sep 30, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Every time my doc does an ANA antibody test it comes back elevated but the Rhumi says I don't have Lupus. I know this can be a sign of lupus but was just wondering if anyone else has had this come back elevated that don't have lupus? Thanks Mick!!
  2. TerriPB

TerriPB New Member

My ANA has always been 1/1200 ever since I have gotten sick in 2003. My Rhuemie says I do not have Lupus. You must fill a certain criteria of blood work to be diagnosed with Lupus. Have you had an entire lupus panel done? Those would be blood tests for Anti-RO, Double-Stranded DNA, Sed Rate, etc. Have your Doc do so if he hasn't.
    Good Luck,
    Terri
  3. dr32164

dr32164 New Member

My endocrinologist also says it can be the result of immune thyroiditis (i.e. Hashimoto's disease). Any number of autoimmune diseases can caused it to be elevated.
  4. TerryS

TerryS Member

Mine is elevated for at least over a year now - currently 160, was 320 last year.

My rheumy has definitely ruled out lupus. But he did give me a diagnosis of FM.

Also, rheumy called last week and told me I have positive anti-smooth muscle, positive Epstein Barr, positive anti-mitochondrial antibody M2(AMA M2), low B-12 and low vitamin D.

Just found out about the AMA and am seeing a GI doc this Monday. Apparently, this almost definitely indicates autoimmune liver disease.

I'm halfway decent in the morning but exhausted by early to mid afternoon. My arms and legs get weak and hurt horribly.

Good luck with a diagnosis. If I had left this all to my PCP, I wouldn't be anywhere near a diagnosis. My rheumy was very concerned and treated my positive AMA very seriously. When I showed my PCP the AMA results, he just shrugged his shoulders (again)...said "I don't know that that means anything." (Same thing he says about ALL of my abnormal blood work).

I'm just going to let the GI doc handle it. Liver disease is nothing to mess around with.

TerryS
  5. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I know what youare saying. My husband has been dealing with liver problems for awhile now. I just wonder if the ulcerative colitis that I have has anything to do with the ANA test. My drs. don't seem to say much about it but I guess I never asked my GI doc if it from the colitis.....Thanks to everyone for your responses....Mick!!
  6. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I dont know this for sure but can only tell you what my doc told me. Mine always comes back elevated but was told I do not have Lupus. Doc told me that if you have any auto-immune problems it will show up as a high ANA. I also have arthritis, Raynouds Syndrome, and Neuropathy. So I guess mine is because of one of these conditons.