ANA test came back positive...what does this mean?? HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by JennO, Oct 24, 2008.

1. JennO

JennO New Member

Hi all it's been a while since I have posted anything, I have more less been reading as much as possible since I found this site. Anyway for the past year I have been being treated for Fibro with TONS of meds and I HATE IT. I keep going back to the doctor, Physical therapy, aquatic therapy. None of the Meds, except for the narcotics have helped. When I was at my last Dr. appointment she suggested that I get another blood work up since it had been a year. So I did and I received a call 2 days later stating that my ANA was positive???? So from what I have read does this mean I have LUPUS?? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS ALL
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

It's like the pigeons and doves relationship: all doves are pigeons but not all pigeons are doves.

All people with Lupus test positive but not all people who test positive have Lupus.

That said, I'm not sure that "all" people with lupus do test positive but most do.

I do know that many people who do not have Lupus do test positive.

I have tested positive in the past. I have friends who test positive, who do not have Lupus but who do have problems carrying pregnancies to term because of "sticky blood".

A positive ANA can mean many things or nothing much.

I bet this doesn't help at all!

I hope someone else will have something to add that will.

Rafiki

ETA: Google "positive ANA" and you'll get lots of info re the many reasons one might be positive.
    :~)

[This Message was Edited on 10/24/2008]
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Understanding the positive ANA test

What does a positive ANA mean? Unlike a pregnancy test, which if positive generally means only one thing, a positive ANA can mean many things. There are many illnesses and conditions associated with a positive ANA, including rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, and lupus, as well as infectious diseases such as mononucleosis, subacute bacterial endocarditis, and autoimmune thyroid and liver disease.

Certain medications can cause a positive ANA, and many healthy people with no associated illness or condition have a positive ANA. In fact, about 5% of the general population will have a positive ANA. Thus, at least 95% of the people who have a positive ANA do not have lupus! A positive ANA test can sometimes run in families, even if family members have no evidence of lupus.

The ANA is only a test and, like a high cholesterol value, a positive ANA doesn't necessarily equate having a disease. A positive ANA is only an indicator which points in several possible directions, and indicates that further investigation and analysis may be needed.
  4. JennO

JennO New Member

Thanks for your feed back...I am seeing the Rheumatologist on Tuesday, anxious to see what he says. This is my second screening, the first being a year ago and showed neg on the ANA with a slightly elevated Rheumatoid. And this new ANA showing positive with a Rheumatoid staying the same level. Thank you all again for helping me understand the "ANA TEST"!!