Anal Fissures? Sorry for the gross topic!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Sep 15, 2005.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

Does anyone else have anal fissures? I think this is what I have.

Pain during bm like a piece of glass is cutting my rectum, no blood in stool but sometimes a little blood streaked on stool, some blood on toilet paper.

This comes and goes. Or is this hemorrhoids?

Thanks,
    Meow
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I occassionaly get a little blood on toilet paper and it is always bright red which I thinks means its from my hemorroids.

Blood in your stool should always be checked out by doctor, I think you should to be on the safe side.

Rosie
  3. Cycie

Cycie New Member

Sounds like Fissures to me, I have had them twice and had a 6 inch stretch to get rid of them, awfully painful but once the stretch is done they are fixed, like magic and the relief is wonderful, the main thing to keep them under control is not to let your stools get too hard, keep BM in the loose region. It is a tear on the outside of the rectum and it forms like a little bubble in the creases around the anus and when you evacute it hurts like hell, there are some creams that will ease it for a short time but please go see your Doc and find out for sure.

Lotsa Luck and loose stools hehe
    Cycie
  4. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Yes, I know the feeling of buring jagged broken glass scraping on a sensitive area. I had a fissure develop after having 2 impacted colon experiences in the ER. Tried 2 doctors & various high fiber diets & medications to fix things, but needed to do the surgery after a year of trying to do alternatives. Even soft stools don't help with fissures.

If you're in the Philly area I can recommend a surgeon at UPenn. My surgery went very well & I've had no other tears even with my severe IBS. Still take Zelnorm which helps now & then. Wish it helped now & now...

best wishes.
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

It really bothered me for a while, and so I went to the doc, thinking I had hemmorrhoids. He checked and said I had a fissure. He gave me some suppositories which soothed them, and except for some blood when constipated (at times), I haven't had many probelms for a few years. Guess mine either healed or I don't know what. It just doesn't give me the trouble it did at first.

Yours seems like mine...comes and goes.They are painful. You mihgt want to check with the doc as the suppositories I was given did help with the pain when there was a flare. Don't remember what they were called.

Blessings,
    Sue
  6. spasco

spasco New Member

Anal fissures are very common with IBS/IBD. Do you have either? It could also be hemmorhoids. They can be excruciatingly painful and bleed too. I agree though, that if you find blood you should be checked.

God bless! Stephanie
  7. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I have IBS, alternating diarrhea and constipation.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I know that internal hemorrhoids can bleed and be extremely painful!!!
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Meow,
    this is an important topic for us, not gross at all, just a fact of life w/ the FM/CFS/IBS package. And I thank you for getting past your shyness about it to post so others can benefit. I get them occasionally, and diet changes that help w/ bm's clear them w/out meds, they are caused by straining. Finding out exactly what food sensitivities are contributing will help alot as it did for me. It's why I rarely get them now. If you aren't taking a probiotic you really need one, that's an essential building block of clearing them.

Cycie,
    I'm impressed w/ your concise and unselfconscious answer. And really w/ anyone who contributes in these types of threads that people can have a hard time discussing.

May all your peristalsis' be smooth and regular.

Jeanne
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Could be either, but I'll tell you my anal fissure story...

I was living in Omaha at the time & my doctor was affiliated with the University of Nebraska Med Center, a teaching hospital. My doctor did a very easy & quick procedure to fix it, called cauterizing----but in front of about 15 young, cute med students who were all busily looking & taking notes as my butt was hanging out for all to see.

That will humble you (or maybe humiliate is the right word)!

The cauterizing did fix the fissure for good, though all the diet recommendations you've received are good suggestions. But my problem was gone.

And I had the added satisfaction of having helped a new generation of medical professionals in their quest for knowledge.....!

Good luck,
    Pam
  11. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I can't tell you how timely your post was for me. It encouraged me to do some research and figure out how to deal with it. My last bm almost made me pass out from the pain. Thanks for being brave enough to put it out there.

Francie
  12. Dukate

Dukate New Member

Hi Meow,

I had a rectal fissure many years ago after I had my second baby. The pain was unbelievable when I had a B movement. I went to a proctologist who was wonderful. He said the surgery for that was very painful and he would like to try and heal it without surgery. Since I had a new baby 6 weeks old and another 20 months I agreed. As I remember I had to eat very soft foods and took a medication that coated everything and made it go through my system with a mimimun of pain. That was a long time before I got cfs/fms. It took awhile but the fissure healed and I have never had any problems since. If you are taking pain meds like oxycontin for instance they will make y ou very constipated so it a constant strugle to eat the right foods, and get fiber in your diet to help. I live with a lot of pain and have for many years so its a struggle.
    I would go to see a gastrolagist and have them go in and take a look. That is the only way you will know if its hemmroids or a fissure for sure. Hemmroids can be very painful so its important to know what you are dealing with. Try to stay away from surgery. You can get a fissure to heal without it and you can deal with the hemrroids also so you are not in so much pain. If I can be of any more help e mail me at Borene1@aol.com.

Good luck,
    Dukate