and yet another question...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeavenlyRN, Feb 1, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

How do y'all deal with restless leg syndrome? When I have an episode of RLS kick up I am usually able to handle it by getting up and walking around the house for a little while.

Last night I had the weirest thing happen. I had Restless LEFT ARM syndrome!! I just couldn't get it to stop. I massaged it, shook it and squeezed it. Nothing helped. I must have looked like a mad woman..............I certainly felt like one!

I was finally able to get to sleep after my dear husband gave me a back, leg and arm massage. He used one of those little battery operated massager with the 3 balls on it.

Has anyone ever had this happen? If so, what did you do?
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

For me, the trigger for RLS is caffeine. If I dare to have coffee or even some decaf coffee, OMG, my legs are all over the bed that night. Once I cut that coffee completely out of my diet and I rarely ever have a soda with caffeine, I don't seem to get it anymore.
  3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Thanks folks. Very timely advice, as I'm having a real problem tonight.

I had heard that about magnesium but had honestly forgotten all about it. Good idea. I'll give it a try. And thank you for the reminder about the diarrhea. As I already have IBS, I'll have to keep a close eye on that. And of course.....caffeine. I haven't been very vigilant about that, but I guess I had better be.

Sounds like the solutions are all up to me! Thank you both for the reminders. :)
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I used to have what I "think" was RLS when I was pregnant with my 2nd child where I had that incredibly strong urge to move my legs. I mean I couldn't stand it. HAD to move them when I was falling asleep, at night, napping, sometimes just resting. I would get up and walk it off.

Now what I've had for the past few years, is Jerking body Syndrome. WOW - my body jerks so violently, it hurts sometimes. Does anyone else have that? When I'm just about to fall asleep, and sometimes when I'm asleep, it's not just my legs (although usually), but my arms sometimes. Once my stomach jerked. Talk about a weird feeling.

When my husband has laid next to me he's said that he has felt almost a current running through me before - like it starts up by my shoulders than runs down. He asked me if I could feel it. It must have been like small tremors or inner 'jerks' that I didn't feel.

What is this? Anyone else jerk like this?
    Oh sorry... answer Heavenly's question too (Sorry Heavenly!, didn't mean to ask another question on top of yours!) =)
  5. cpdwife1519

cpdwife1519 New Member

Thats exactly what I do get up come downstairs walk around and get some water.
    Look at email and then come back to bed its usually a mind game w/mine!
  6. loto

loto Member

try stretching the body part that is acting up when it acts up?? I don't have RLS EVERY single nite, but when i do have it, it is awful!
    Sometimes the stretching helps. I'll just stretch out the body part and hold the stretch for a count of 20, then relax it, and repeat many times. I do this for sciatica pain also that I do have every day.
  7. loto

loto Member

try stretching the body part that is acting up when it acts up?? I don't have RLS EVERY single nite, but when i do have it, it is awful!
    Sometimes the stretching helps. I'll just stretch out the body part and hold the stretch for a count of 20, then relax it, and repeat many times. I do this for sciatica pain also that I do have every day.
  8. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

.....yes, I do stretch....as long as my joints will allow it! And it does help, a little bit. Last night I was sitting on my bedwith my computer on my lap and I could feel the beginning of the creepy-crawlies! So, I got up and went to sit on my massager thingee. I sat there for about 20 minutes and felt like a new woman when I was finished. I just love that thing - it's been a life-saver for me.