Anemia/poor circulation?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Nov 23, 2008.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I haven't had this problem before, but about a month after I went away to college (maybe earlier) for the first time, I started having problems with being cold all of the time. My hands and feet are nearly always cold.

I also noticed that I bruise constantly. I find new bruises every day, and sometimes they're not always ones that you can see on the surface, but I can feel them underneath the skin. The rheumatologist I'm seeing now told me last week that this is because I have hypermobility syndrome, though.

It's hard to tell whether it could be something like anemia or if it's just the FM/CFS. I've never had trouble with being too cold before, but I'm almost never warm. The heat's not working well in my dorm room, either, so sometimes I'm in four or five layers just so I'm not freezing. I can't imagine that being cold in my room is ONLY because of the FM or whatever I've got going on, as I swear sometimes it must only be around 20 degrees in there, but I know my hands and feet are cold sometimes when everyone else is perfectly warm (not only in my room, either).

Is there a way to differentiate between anemia and normal symptoms of FM? CAN circulation problems be a symptom of FM/CFS? I've looked at the symptoms of anemia and a lot of them overlap with FM/CFS (i.e. being tired all the time), so it seems nearly impossible to tell without a blood test.

I'm seeing my doctor in december, so I guess I'll just have to bear it till then, but if any of you actually do get cold frequently from just the FM, what do you do when it gets reallly bad? I'm sick of being so cold I can barely move, or being glued to my heater in my room. It's driving me insane, and it's getting ridiculously cold.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Well it's good you're seeing your doctor, because there could be many reasons for your "heat control" being off.
    BUT, I am always cold. I hate it. My shoulders go up into my head (neck disappears) and it causes muscles spasms in that area cause I'm so darn cold. I sit on a heating pad whenever I'm home and have a blanket on me all the time.

Def bring this up with your doc - have you had blood work done recently? If he writes it off as FM - ask about other possible causes and ask for blood work.

I feel your sucks being cold. =(

3. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I'm sorry your heat isn't working in your dorm room... That sucks. You can go to Wal-Mart and buy a little heater that blows hot air right at you for under $20! I love mine. I stay cold all the time. My hands and feet are like ice too.

You should definitely ask your doctor to do blood work to be sure there is nothing else wrong... but most likely it's the FM/CFS.

Oh and be sure to unplug the little heater when you leave the room... :)
  4. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

hi! i have the same problem, i have cfs but my doctor said that im also slightly anemic due to my cfs.. and im ALWAYS freezing, so like wendy said you should def invest in a portable heater! im actually at my office with my heater right next to me :) and they don't cost very much so you can't go wrong