Anemia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Christyd7, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Christyd7

Christyd7 New Member

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone else out there suffers from chronic anemia with your fibro. If so, what treatments have you tried and what worked best? Have you seen a Hematologist?

2. fibrojewel

fibrojewel New Member

I wasn't aware of it untill I had all my testing done last year. We re tested in March and I was still anemic. I have tried everything and I can't seem to raise it...Help Madwolf.......What can be done?

*jewel*
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

You probably already know this, but just in case. Iron--either take iron supplements or eat iron-rich foods (don't ask me what they are).

What has your doctor had you try? How about Procrit?
  4. judywhit

judywhit New Member

Hi,
    I am anemic and have been for years. I am now taking Iron by IV. I do this once per month. Iron supplements kill my tummy so it is a real catch 22 for me. The iron IV's are risky I have been told. You can go into shock from them because it goes right into blood stream. My doc does this in his office which freaks my other Docs out. I guess it is done in a hospital setting most of the time. This is the only way I can keep my ferrotin levels up. Went 5 months without IV and was back down to 9. Can you imagine how it would feel to have a full tank?? Actually when I do get my levels up I do not have any more energy.
    Judy
  5. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

Christyd7: I'm surprised that other doctors think it's not safe to administer IV iron outside of a hospital setting. I'm a home health RN, and I've given it numerous times in patient's homes! LOL

As for the anemia, I don't have FM, but I have been diagnosed with CFS due to hypothalamic dysfunction. My doctor now thinks my anemia is a separate issue due to very heavy periods I've been having for the past 18 months or so. I now believe I'm probably pre-menopausal, even though I'm only 37 (Yikes!).

My doctor put me on a regimen of Chromagen once a day for two months. My ferritin levels are still below 30, so I'm now on Chromagen Forte 2 times a day. If you haven't had your ferritin levels checked, I urge you to have your doctor check them. I am told that this is the most accurate test for anemia, because this value tells you what your body's iron stores are. Many times, your hemoglobin and hematacrit (or H & H) won't drop until your iron stores are depleted.

All the best,

Cheryll