Anger and FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allamerican7, Jul 30, 2008.

1. allamerican7

allamerican7 New Member

Over the weekend I had a situation where as described to me, "A switch just turned off" while having a few cocktails in a social setting with some friends where I just went from laid back and laughing to kinda mean and literally a matter of seconds.

I remember everything up until that point and very little after that and I also became physically sick...........

HAS THIS EVER HAPPEN TO YOU?????????????????

This has never ever happen to me..........I am really freaked out about it!!!!!!!!!
  2. allamerican7

allamerican7 New Member

but it isnt where I had that much........REALLY

and I am not that guy where that happens........

3. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

It can do some nasty things inside you without warning...

Consider yourself as having been warned though.

If this happens once it can and will happen again! I believe that each time it does happen it will get worse and worse.

Please for your own good and for those you love don't ever have even that first drink ever again.
  4. gws

gws New Member

for me i can't touch alcohol, it is a lethal combination with the meds i take for fibro/gws etc.
    be careful
  5. allamerican7

allamerican7 New Member

just something that has never happen before......i just find it such an extreme oddity that something could just punch up out of nowhere.......but reality is that with FM that happens all the time........
  6. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

Many people with fibro develop an intense intolerance to alcohol. Where one or two drinks might have been nothing prior to FM, they now might be very damaging.

The same can be true with prescription meds. Best to tread lightly until you see what you can tolerate!

7. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

I have done the same thing. I don't drink but have flipped out before while out with friends. One of the things I have to be careful of is my energy levels and sensory overload. In my case they have the same effect.

Do your friends know about your health? as hard as it was I had to have a discussion about these things with them and they have been able to help defuse situations by keeping me calm.

it comes down to making sure you are safe and not having adverse reactions to meds and drinking.

good luck,
  8. CKater

CKater New Member

Sorry AllAmerican, but alcohol can do that to you at any time whether it's never happened to you before or's not the FM. And mixing it up with meds is NEVE a good idea. I know when it happens the first time "out of the blue"'s like "where the heck did that come from"...but it's still the alcohol.
  9. Iam1ShadyLady

Iam1ShadyLady New Member

It makes my chest hurt and makes me sick even if it's just one drink. Never had this problem before fm. Used to love my margaritas, even had a little club "the margarita mommas". Now I can drink what I call my wine smoothie, 6oz red wine mixed in a blender with fresh fruit, juice and ice but I think it is because by the time I add all the extras I'm only getting a little alchohol. I usually split it with hubby and make it for the antioxidants. I accidentally took a drink of one he had made with rum though and it made my chest hurt and made me nauseous. He doesn't drink liquor anymore now either so I won't make that mistake again.
  10. jole

jole Member

I've had FM since childhood, and never understood why in my late teens, early 20's I could never drink alcohol without getting terribly sick...almost instant migraine, panic attacks, etc. It wasn't worth it and I never had another drink since I was 21.

It took a loooonnnng time to find out I had FM, after suffering w/it for over 45 years. This was when I found out about the alcohol connection. At that time I wasn't even on any meds. Can't imagine what it would do to me now!

I agree with the others...alcohol is NOT a good thing for most people with FM!
  11. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

But for others with FM alcohol is not a problem. I've also had FM since childhood. I do drink alcohol and could easily drink a 6 pack of beer nightly and still get up for work hangover-free the next day.

I have the opposite problem - regardless of how much I drink, it has zero effect on me (and, no, I never drink and drive - having already been in one fatal car accident where I lost my best friend from childhood - neither of us were driving nor drinking).

Lightning quick mood changes could be a sign of something else if you had under 5 drinks. Definitely keep your eye on the mood changes, it could be something else like a bad reaction to meds.
  12. allamerican7

allamerican7 New Member

On the Mayo Pain Rehab no pain meds.........but they said no alcohol too..