ANIMAL SONG GAME, VOL. 2

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, May 26, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Here's a little history for you. "The Music Man" takes place around 1912. The most famous
    horse in America at the time was Dan Patch. He was pacer or harness horse. Pulled one
    of those flimsy looking carts called a sulky. (Lucy "drove" one on one of her long shows.)

Anyhoo, in the song "Ya got trouble" there is a reference to Dan Patch.

And, more history, Beethoven wrote a piece of orchestra to commemorate "Wellington's
    Victory" over the French. The piece contains some popular tunes such as "God Save
    the King" and "The Bear Went Over the Mountain".

And then, from my yute, a Disney theme song: M I C K E Y M O U S E.

I think Three Dog Night is a band. Is it also a song?

Rock
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rock for starting the new thread. Here's some I moved over from the end of the old one.

"Rockin Robin" recorded by Bobby Day in 1958, later by Michael Jackson.

"Alley Cat" made famous by Bent Fabric,
    (real name Bent Fabricius-Bjerre) a Danish pianist and composer. Released in 1962.

"Cats in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin, 1974.
  3. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Rock your post helped me remember another horse song.

A horse is a horse ofcourse ofcourse
    and noone can talk to a horse ofcourse
    that is ofcourse unless the horse
    is the famous mister Ed :p
  4. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

Anybody remember BLUEBIRD, by Paul McCartney & Wings???

Diane
  5. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Never heard that one Diane, nice!
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Diane, I've not heard of that one either. It's pretty, so is the bird!

Reminds me of another song, "Bluebird of Happiness" by Jan Peerce, 1934.

and in the song "April Showers" ... Just keep on looking for a bluebird and listening for his song, whenever April showers come along.

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" ... If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why oh why can't I.

"Zippity Do Da" ... Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder, it's the truth it's actual, everything is satisfactual....a song from the movie Song of the South.
  7. rockgor

Hi Kids

Used to have lots of Jan Peerce recordings including Bluebird of Happiness, GB. He used the
    same title for his biography. Saw him in a concert in the 60s. Chatted with him and got
    an autographed program afterwards.

Don't know any McCarthy and wings songs, Diane. Saw a few bluebirds when I was
    a kid, but they had reddish orange bellies like a robin. Very likely there are different
    versions; like decaff or regular.

Soul, the Mr Ed theme song was written by Livingston and Evans who wrote some
    giant hits. I have posted about them before. They also wrote the Bonanza theme.

Here's a song about a horse by Wilf Carter aka Montana Slim. He was a sorta goofy
    lookin' guy who was a great C-W singer. Sometimes called Canada's father of C-W
    music. Although Wikipedia says he made a lotta albums for RCA, I only had
    two in my collection 'cause that's all I ever saw.

Adios, Pards
    Rock
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, You sure did meet a lot of celebrities. I'm envious!

Jan Peerce is a name I recall but I don't think I had any of his records. I'll have to look him up.

I have heard of Montana Slim. That's a cute song, reminds me of Gene Autry and Roy Rogers. I know Roy's horse was named Trigger but I'll have to look up the names of the other two.

Who said 'Hi Ho Silver"? Was it the Lone Ranger? GB
  9. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

I liked to watch grizzly adams, I don't remember if they had an opening song or just a tune...

Looked it up, not an actual animal song but still :p
  10. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Jump on it has a dog:

Granny's on the front porch spittin' in a cup
    Tryin' to fix a nightgown that the dog tore up

We could've had a dryer or a sewing machine
    But daddy went and bought us a trampoline

And we jump on it every chance we get
    Mama and daddy and all us kids
    We ain't got much but we got this and we jump

And just because it's nicer to look at animals then humans on the trampoline here's another vid :p If you play the top one with sound and the bottem one without you get the perfect combo :p
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  11. rockgor

Nice Grizzly Adams video, Soul. 3-D movies were new 60 years ago. Now with no
    special equipment or remodeling of a theater we can have 3-D at our fingertips.
    I just couldn't bear to miss it.

Gene Autry's horse was Champion, GB. I saw Gene and his horse 63 years ago at a
    wild west show. They both looked great.

A decade or so ago Dave Barry wrote a column about the Lone Ranger and what he
    said to his horse. Was it "Hi-Ho" or "Hi-Yo"? Dave asked a buncha folks who were
    writers and "language experts including William Safire and Stephen King". They
    agreed it was "Hi-Yo".

Other animal songs: Old McDonald had a farm.
    The Unicorn sung by the Irish Rovers.
    Hickory, Dickory, Dock.

And now Goodbye from Rock
  12. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

And what do the seven dwarfs sing Rock? I always thought Hi-Ho but could very well be wrong.
  13. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi Rock, Soul, and all --

I always thought the Lone Ranger said: Hi HO Silver. But I think I'm incorrect. Hi YO Silver sounds right.

And I now realize I'm mistaken about the Seven Dwarfs! I always thought it was "Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to work we go...."

But it's not. It's:
    ".... Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho
    It's home from work we go ...."

Speaking of "animal" shows and themes -- anybody ever watch LASSIE??

You'll remember the opening segment:

Good memories, fun, trivia, etc. on this thread!

Diane :)

[​IMG]
  14. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Diane, (glad to see you posting) ,et al,

Yes, I still remember so many of these. Before that Lassie show there were the episodes with Tommy Rettig as Timmy and a much older cast. Do you remember that Rock??? Anyone else, of the more elderly generation remember that one :)!!? I love so many of the old shows that I wish were still on.. I remember all those cowboy shows, not to many other things were on at that time. I did love the singing too ! Yes, "I'm Back In The Saddle Again" . I know some of you know who sang that one. At least Rock :)!!

Have to go back and play a few of them that were posted.

P.S. I just found the segment with the older Lassie team with Tommy Rettig on here. They were really OL.D but I do remember them. They usually also had a moral to each story. Yes and that Heigh Ho was cute to watch again with the Seven Dwarfs. Diane - I think you were right with "home from work we go".

Love you all,
    Granni
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Granni, I do remember all the old westerns, I especially liked the Lone Ranger. I think it was that mysterious 'masked man'! :)

Never cared much for Roy Rogers or Gene Autry. On tv, I used to like Zorro. I wanted to be Anette Funnicello. She got to do such adventurous stuff on the show. Also loved the show Sky King.

I guess I liked the adventurous stuff. All the Tarzan and Jungle Jim movies. I still like adventure. The only books I seem to read are mysteries.

Diane, Those are great photos. I wanted a pony SO BAD when I was a kid. I loved horses. My neighbor had an old broken down horse named Buster. I rode him down the street once, bareback, and had no idea what I was doing. It's a wonder he didn't throw me. That was my first and last horseback ride! I was terrified. Think I was about 9 years old.

I watched all the episodes of both Lassie shows. My fav was the older show. I like Tommy Rettig and Jan Clayton who played his mom. You could always be sure that Lassie would save someones life before the show was over. "Lassie! I think she's trying to tell us something!!" Bark, Bark!

Heigh Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Yo to Rock and Soul! Soul, I didn't see Grizzly Adams but I do remember Gentle Ben. That was filmed in Florida.

Rock, I always thought it was Hi Ho Silver. How do they know if it was Hi Ho or Hi Yo? GB
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  16. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

GB66- Can't talk now.. DH needs the computer but I thought it was Hi Ho Silver too. Great stories and pics.

Love,
    Granni
  17. rockgor

Hey, Kids

Around here we always refer to Jan Clayton as Lassie's mom. Did you know that she (Jan)
    could sing? She was in the original "Carousel" on Broadway. Used to have a recording of it.
    And you can see her on Youtube in a clip from "Snake Pit" singing "Going Home".

And did you know Lassie was played by a male dog? I've read a couple different reasons
    for that.

GB, what do you mean, how do the experts know? Experts just know things because they
    are experts. Ha Ha. I think it's just a matter of listening and drawing whatever conclusion
    sounds right to you. I first thought "Hi Yo" was silly. But after listening, I decided that
    it was right. You can see excerpts, maybe some complete episodes of the Lassie show
    on Youtube.

Yup, Granni. Used to listen to "Melody Ranch" starring Gene Autry on the radio. Think it
    was on Sunday nights. Anyhoo, they always included a brief adventure of Gene catching
    rustlers or something. Nowadays it would probably be graffiti vandals.

Diane, glad to see you were up to posting. Hope you and Hubby are feeling better.

Soul, I haven't seem a Disney movie in decades, but I used to look for them on Saturdays
    when I took my little boy to the movies. One could count on a great kid's picture that
    adults would like too.

Happy Trails to You
    Rock
  18. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I thought about that movie 'Snake Pit' when I was posting. I remembered Jan Clayton being the star. She was really good. It was a sad movie.

I know who the experts are. They are "They". "They" always say this, that or the other. "They" try to tell us what to eat, how to dress, what we should do, etc. I've never paid a whole lot of attention to "They". :) GB
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  19. rockgor

"They try to tell us we're too young
    Too young to really be in love
    They say that love's a word
    A word we've only heard
    But can't begin to know the meaning of

And yet we're not too young to know
    This love will last though years may go
    And then some day they may recall
    We were not too young at all."

Nat King Cole hit when I was in grade school. The songwriters agree with you, GB.

:D:)
    Rock
  20. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, Well if Nat said it, it must be true!

Question: Are "They" the same ones who try to convince us that we're not really sick? That CFS, FM, and MCS are all in our head! GB