Ankle Swelling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tammy1024, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Tammy1024

Tammy1024 New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new here, but not new to the issues of CFIDS/FM. After 4 years of searching for answers, I was diagnosed with CFIDS, MPS, IBS, RLS, and recently Raynaud's Syndrome. It has been a very long, hard road.

My question is about swelling. I looked through a lot of posts, and only found one about retaining water. The swelling I am recently having is mostly limited to only 1 foot and ankle. My right has swollen a little, but no where near as bad as the left. I first thought about it just be fluid, but can that affect only 1 foot? I always thought water retention would affect all limbs / extremities. It is also causing a lot more pain than usual. I have been in a "flare" for almost 2 weeks now, the worst one I have had in years. The pain I am in is constant, but lately been almost unbearable. I am on meds, Kadian, Lyrica and Tramacet, and have been on them for a while. Could this be related to the meds, or could it be Arthritis rearing it's ugly head?? I am really unsure about this, and I do hope that someone else has had this experience (not that I am wishing it on anyone) and can offer some insight!!!

I look forward to any help,
    Thanks a bunch!!!
    Tammy
  2. Tammy1024

Tammy1024 New Member

Thanks for your response Sam,

However, getting to my dr isn't an easy task, he is an hour drive away and I would have to drive it!!!! I do have an appointment with him in April, only a month away. I don't want to go into an emergency clinic at the local hospital either, I have had VERY bad experiences with the medical community in my quest to get a diagnosis, so my faith really is only in the one dr that I see....he has been the only one to even attempt to help me. I was really hoping that someone would say that you can retain water in only 1 foot.....guess not eh??

Thanks again Sam, and thanks for caring!!! That is a great feeling for a "newbie"!!
    Stay strong,
    Tammy
  3. Tammy1024

Tammy1024 New Member

Actually, there is.....thanks!!! I totally forgot about them!!!!!

I will do that later on today!!!!
    Thanks again,
    Tammy
  4. msmac

msmac New Member

I to am having left much more than right foot swelling and pain, but doctor yesterday told me he felt it was due to the Lyrica, a side effect. I get it to ease lying on a padded floor with my leg (s) up on a big exercise ball, and sort of massaging my calves with the ball under them. Do check with a healthcare provider or healthline, as we are all individuals, and have similar though different problems. Best wishes!
  5. hoodnanny

hoodnanny New Member

i have arthritis and fm...my right foot started hurting first and swelling..then went to the left, then to the ankles. it did not do it all at the same time. weeks in between...my feet swelled up like i was pregnant. and so painful to walk....went to dr. he put me on predisone. in time that took the swelling and pain out.....it took several months...actually the pain started in hip and lower back...
    if it continues you may have inflamation in your body...i hope that you can find out and have peace.
    shirley