Anne Cromwell: About that kitty litter.....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marta608, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Annie, on the porch awhile ago you gave the name of some good, light kitty litter. I dutifully wrote it down and now the piece of paper has disappeared imagine that.

Could you tell me again? I think it rhymes with terrific?

Thanks! Hope you're doing OK.

2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

is cederific. manufactured by nepco web is

I just carried in the whole big bag to the computer. It is 7lbs and equal to a 30lb bag of clay, plus it lasts longer and is recyclable(just scoop the poop first and that is also easier. We and the 4 kitties just love it and the only smell you get is cedar.

Hope this is acceptable to say as it sure is good for those of us with aches to carry etc.

Love Annie C
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I really appreciate it you taking the time and energy. I'll track it down.

4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I've used it before and Cederific really is Cederific! Love it. That big bag costs about $4 in my neck of the woods.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2006]
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks! So far NY seems to have a corner on the market as far as I can find. With something that good, seems like they'd get it out there.

6. elliespad

elliespad Member

Gee, that's rotten they don't carry it out your way. I might be visiting my sister outside of Detroit after Christmas, If I do, I'll throw a couple bag in my trunk for you :)
  7. mezombie

mezombie Member

I've been using silica cystal litter. I think TidyCats makes it, as well as several others. I've found it in my local grocery store of late, and PetSmart as well as Petco definitely carry it. Petsmart even has their own brand of it.

This litter consists of small crystals or pellets made of silica gel. They absorb the urine, so you simply have to scoop out the poop and stir the litter.

Four pounds will last 4-6 weeks for one cat.

I love it!

Like you, I can't find Cedarific around here.
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm delighted to have all this help finding a litter that won't put me in bed after lifting! Thanks!

Elliespad, don't worry about throwing any in your car, just let me know where you found it. Hopefully it will be a chain store and I can find it further west of Detroit. Thanks.

Mezombie, ah, so the crystal litter is good too? I've seen it but it looked so unabsorbable - is that a word? - that I didn't try it. I'm sure I'd have to made a gradual switch from the regular Tidy Cats litter that the shelter uses (cheapest) to anything else but I'm determined not to hurt myself. If I can't find Cedarific, I'll take a closer look at the crystals. I had a friend with a lot of cats who tore up newspaper but that's not for me. Thanks.

9. mezombie

mezombie Member

Hi Marta,

Yep, the crystal litter works very well. The urine gets absorbed into the crystals. It's best to stir the litter around once a day to make sure the urine on the bottom gets mixed into the litter. The crystals turn yellow after urine absorption. Once absorbed, the crystals are dry. Needless to say, kitties appreciate this!

The only drawback to this litter is the dust it creates. I also would make sure to get the type that is small and granular. The round crystals will roll all over your floor when inadvertently kicked out of the box by a cat.

I adopted two cats this year, one several months after the first. Number Two didn't like the litter at first, so I mixed the cheap stuff with the crystals until I got him weaned of that heavy stuff. It didn't take long.

By the way, I sympathize with your wish to get a dog. When I moved to a condo, I made sure it allowed dogs because I figured I would get well enough to walk one some day. That was ten years ago!

Some years ago I offered to walk a neighbor's dog during the afternoon. I soon discovered I could manage that, but only at the cost of not being able to do my own "stuff" (laundry, cooking, etc.). So I broke down and got a cat.

Unfortunately, she passed on at the tender age of four and a half due to a congenital heart condition. She was a wonderful companion and it took me quite a while to get over her death.

Since then I've adopted two shelter cats, both about a year old. They are a handful! It's a bit like having two toddlers around.

I'm telling you this because it sounds like you're leaning toward adopting a cat from the shelter.

Have you considered fostering a cat first? That way you can find out if the two of you hit if off. I also would recommend getting a cat that is at least two years old. Mine are really a bit too energetic for me. I also had planned on only getting one cat. Frankly, I got the second to keep the first occupied!

Anyhow, just thought I'd pass my experience on to you. I think it's great that you're able to volunteer at the shelter and give those poor furbabies a little love!

Good luck!

[This Message was Edited on 12/07/2006]
  10. mezombie

mezombie Member

Seriously, think twice before you get a young cat!

My tree has been knocked down twice already! I only put it up yesterday! Luckily, it's fake and only 4 feet tall. Also, I'd only put three ornaments on it. Two were clearly used as cat toys. I guess I bettter look for the third...
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I can't believe how conflicted I am about the cat thing. I even have all the stuff for a cat, and no cat yet.

There is a four year old cat at the shelter that my granddaughter says I should adopt ("because you know nobody else will"). The cat is four, smart and wants everyone's attention. Thing is, when anyone picks her up, she growls and she's not a cuddly cat.

I considered fostering at first but I'm such a softie, I'm not sure I could stand to return them if they didn't work out. On the other hand, if the cat bit, I could zip them back in a heartbeat! I won't have a biting cat and so many of the older cats there do. Poor things, they've had a rough life.

As far as things like Christmas trees, believe me, every time I put a plant or flowers on a table or windowsill, I marvel that I can do it and not worry about losing a plant, a cat or having a vase dumped over. I can actually leave things around without knowing that the whatever will become a toy or a bed or food. It's been sixteen years since I could do that and I like it! And I haven't had an indoor Christmas tree for that long either.

Interesting, though. I could have a tree this year but I'm not.

[This Message was Edited on 12/08/2006]