Anne Cromwell

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Hi Anne

I didnt' know you lived in Forres, thats a really beautiful part of the country.

What took you over to the States??

I lived in Vancouver from 68 - 73 but came home, often kind of regretted it but wouldn't have had my kids if I'd stayed there. Still in touch with Canadian friends I made back then.

I see two of your sons are attached to the military, I hope they are not in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Do you still have family in UK, ever visit??

You were right, no-one knew what trifle was?? I didn't think of that.

I'd love to visit more often on porch but just cannot keep up with everyone.

2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I came over to the States after my first marriage broke up and met my DH at Cornell. He is American. We then went back to UK, as my two older boys live there.

One of them does go into Iraq as he designs weapons systems,and helps with glitches, the other no, they both work for the Ministry of Defence but not as active personnel

I was missing Uk and we went back and lived in Forres and we loved to walk the beach at Findhorn, Culbin Sands. Did you know there is a whole village buried under the sands there? RAF have a large base there for their fighter jets.

The DH missed USA so we came back here and lived very close to Vancouver. Victoria is more British than Britain for sure!

Now we live not far from Ontario where my brother and his family live. The rest of my family inc. married kids and grandkids all live in the UK plus my sibs and cousins etc. Miss them all but cannot afford to return due to property values there being so high.

Have a nephew in Edinburgh he is a doctor.

Love Annie
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you've had an eventful life. Did you go to Cornell University??

I loved Vancouver but never did get over to Victoria, have a Canadian friend who has settled there in recent years and get lots of photos sent.

It's a shame you can't come back because of property prices especially when you have grandchildren here. Property values here are incredibly high, even ex-council houses are hitting the £130,000+ price in our town. My son has no chance of getting on the property ladder,he rents a flat in town.

I did not know there was a village under Culbin Sands, I have to look that up and read about it.

Lovely day here, think I'll have a stroll in the garden.

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I just took some Brit fod over to the porch for tonites PJ party.

Nip over there will you and take some Scottish food-something they never heard of-the game is guess what this food is-you could maybe take Invercockieleekie soup?

DH graduated from Cornell, I did some post grad studies there FIL was a professor there too. Nice campus. Very expensive these days, $45,000 first year - tell that to the Brits complaining about 3,000 pound fees!

Not only that re Culbin Sands, a forest now grows there that was created by dragging in hundred of dead trees, letting them rot and growing new trees atop them. This was to stop the sands blowing about and buring various villages. The sands are very very deep. We used to love a hotel there that was remote and right on the beach called the Culbin Sands Hotel. We used to get very good meals there, even though it was a little run down.

Findhorn community is an interesting place. I think it is RAF Kinloss there, I cannot recall, but Forres is a lovely place and warm due to gulf stream of the Morray Firth. Godd train service to Inverness too.

We actually rented a house there, lovely place, from a man who was overseas in Kuwait or Saudi and he offered to sell it for 84,000 pounds, this was in 1990, I bet you that house would be selling for 4 times that now. Our small farm we had in Cornwall was sold last year for over 2 million sterling - ridiculous, the people had bought it from us in 1988 for about 80,000 streling. Talk about profiteering!

Well get over and do the food quiz will you?

Love Annie