Anne Patchett Book Club

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Can't remember who in bookclub suggested Anne Patchett - Annie, Rock, Ken??

Anyway, I managed to get two of her books from the local library and have almost finished Truth & Beauty.

AP is a beautiful writer, it's a sad story but warm too, I'm loving it though I know it's not going to be a happy ending for her friend.

I can't believe the twins have gone, such nice, kind and decent people.

love
    Rosie

Rosie
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

hi i THINK i MISSED SOME POSTS OF YOURS SAYING SOMEONE WAS ILL? hOPE ALL IS WELL NOW.

tHE JUNE BOOK CHOICE IS iVAN dOIG, THE wHISTLING sEASON

His early books about the settlers in Montana were riveting and it looks as if this more recent book may also prove an interesting read.

Glad you enjoyed Ann Patchet. You may also enjoy Carol Shields (Canadian writer) and Elizabeth Berg who have a similar style.

Carla has my email if you ever want it.

Oh MY birth certificate and British pension claim finally showed up in Newcastle (been missing in mail for 2 months) Yeh!!! So who knows, it may get sorted and I may have money to EAT!!!

Love Annie

Love Annie
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thanks for info and for new writers - I struggle choosing books, twice I've bought 5 books recommended by Richard & Judy and frankly was really disappointed.

Yes having a bad time just now - see porch.

That would be nice getting your email address from Carla, thanks very much.

I'll be applying for my pension end of next year, wonder what will happen to my disability payments then. Yes, eating is getting so expensive over here, always was but now its ridiculous.

Rosie
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I mentioned Ann Patchett because we were discussing her mother Jeanne Rae, author of Eat Cake. Haven't read anything by Patchett yet, altho I'm trying to get her book Bel Canto.

It's always nice to discover a new author.

Annie, re: your comment on love as depicted in the movies, just read a book on that topic. It's by James Robert Parish who has written dozens of books on the movies.

I forgot the title. Something like "Love in the Movies", I guess. Tried to find out from the Los Angles Library computer, but that was, as usual, a losing battle.

I suspect it's for the best if Reni and his gal break up, Rosie. Drama is ok when you're young and fit, but as a steady diet it generally leads to ulcers and heartburn. Marriage should be comfortable and supportive. Ha! Try convincing young people of that.

Rosie, is your brother fighting back against depression? He might want to read my profile and see what helped me.

I am still hoping to accomplish the errands I had hoped to do last week.

All for now

Rock