AnnetteP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CAgirl, Jan 21, 2003.

1. CAgirl

CAgirl New Member

I have a question about hypothyrodism. I went to the doctor today and my synthroid is not working. He raised my level to 0.125. I asked him about adding a T3 medication and he said it woudln't do any good since my T4 is so low. He also isn't open to switching me off of the synthroid and onto another thyroid med.
    What has helped you?
    Thank You
    Laura
  2. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Armour (1 grain, 2x/day) and cytomel. I have experimented with cytomel and now I'm taking 1/2 of the smallest strength it comes in.

My advice to you is get out of the situation with your dr. You will get NOWHERE with someone who is NOT open to exploring other options. But, before you leave him, you need to educate yourself so you can make an informed decision as to which dr. IS right for you.

The first thing you need to do is go to Mary Shomon's thryoid site. Read, read, and read. Then, get a book or two that she recommends (often you can find these at the library). You can also checkout Dr. Lowe's thyroid/fm site.

Once you are educated in this area, you can call around with the right questions to ask a potential dr. such as "do you prescribe Armour?" and "which thyroid tests do you order?" When you, yourself, know which tests need to be ordered, you will be in the driver's seat and can get exactly what you want.

What I have learned though the past couple of years of my journey with alternative approaches (and yes, believe it or not Armour thyroid and lab tests that insurance even pays for are often considered alternative! go figure!) is that I am an educated consumer and never again will I naiively turnover my healthcare to anyone! I am completely satisfied with my dr., because I know that she and I are on the same wavelength, so-to-speak. She explains everything to me, even if I don't ask. Plus, she NEVER dismisses anything I suggest.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  3. CAgirl

CAgirl New Member

I have been doing some research on hypothyroid. I'm going to look at the sites you suggested. I'm also going to change my doctor. I live on a military base so I have to stay with one of the providers here, but I don't have to stay with him.

Thanks Again