Anniston’s water is deemed unsafe

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by taylorat, Jun 10, 2003.

1. taylorat

taylorat New Member

I have lived in Anniston, Al for 18 years and today I found actual evidence of something that we have suspected for years: The water that we drink and use on a daily baisis has been found to have chemicals in it that can cause liver, kidney and immune system damage. Also at the source of Anniston's water supply is a spring that not only supplies Anniston's water, but runs into a creek (Coldwater) that area children love to play and swim in (my 8 year old son included) during the summer. No one has ever confirmed the presence of chemicals in our water system until I read the following article in the Anniston Star, which is our local newspaper. I thought this would be interesting to everyone on this site considering what damage this chemical can cause. I drink and use this water on a daily basis and have been for the last 18 years. In addition to the current threat of burning chemical weapons at The Anniston Army Depot, now we have a threat to our water supply from cleaning chemicals that the Depot has been dumping in the ground for years that we are going to have to pay for now. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 10 years ago and it just seems to be getting worse. I am in pain 24 hours a day and it makes me wonder if all the chemicals in the area of the Anniston Army Depot and Fort McClellan (which was a chemical training center but came under the knife several years ago and was closed) had anything to do with the problems that I have today. Here is the article taken from the online edition of The Anniston Star:

ANNISTON

Residents may get cards to buy water
    By Sara Clemence
    Star Staff Writer
    06-10-2003

If Anniston’s water is deemed unsafe to drink because of solvents from the Anniston Army Depot, the Army may not be giving residents bottled water – but debit cards.
    The idea, floated at a public meeting Monday night, is to issue special cards, good for buying water at local retailers, to water customers. It may be included in the Army’s revised emergency response plan for Anniston’s water.

But, that plan would eventually become unnecessary. The Army has also officially agreed to spend nearly $1.6 million to build a treatment system at Coldwater Spring, the city’s water source, announced Patrick Smith, environmental engineer for the depot. Smith broke the news at the quarterly meeting of the Restoration Advisory Board, a citizen panel that advises the depot on environmental clean-up.

Coldwater Spring appears to bubble from the ground clear and pure, but it is contaminated with low levels of trichlorethylene, or TCE, a solvent used mainly to degrease metal. A plume of TCE from the depot pollutes local groundwater.

Drinking small amounts of TCE over a long period of time can cause liver, kidney and immune system damage, according to a federal health agency.

The Army has been trying for more than a decade to get the TCE out of the groundwater, but the goo remains. Now, officials are figuring out how best to transfer the money for the treatment system. Construction may take six to 12 months, Smith said.

Meanwhile, the debit card proposal, if it made it into the emergency plan, would relieve the Army of the logistical burden of distributing water to thousands of households. It could also benefit area businesses.

"It seems like a system that’s going to work best for us at this point," Smith said.

The cards would be mailed out to all water customers, and activated if the TCE levels went above a certain point, Smith said. The emergency plan is expected to be finished in about 60 days, he said.

The TCE levels in Anniston’s drinking water have not been above federal standards.

However, monitoring wells near the depot have turned up high levels. And, in April, a monthly test of Coldwater Spring showed a result of 5.1 parts per billion, just above the drinking water standard of 5 ppb, Smith said.

The sample was taken from the spring itself. A sample taken from the treated drinking water was below health standards.

The result was "cause for alarm," Smith said, so the Army took another sample and found it had fallen back down.

The emergency plan would be activated if four consecutive samples of treated drinking water were above the standard, or if one sample was more than 16 ppb.

In the depot’s annual survey of private wells, none tested positive for TCE, Smith announced Monday.

The Army is in the final stages of investigating the extent of the underground contamination. Smith announced plans to dig six more monitoring wells. But, after a board member suggested the wells be delayed because the digging could shift water and increase TCE levels at Coldwater, Smith said the Army would reconsider the plan.

"We need this water to be safe," said RAB member Walter Frazier. "I realize that you guys have a job to do, but the most important thing is having our water safe."

About Sara Clemence New Yorker Sara Clemence is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the Columbia University school of journalism. She covers environmental issues for The Star.

Contact Sara Clemence Phone:
    Fax:
    E-mail:
    256-235-3554
    256-241-1991
    sclemence@annistonstar.com

2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

That is scary for sure. We do have a lot of members her from different parts of Alabama that will be reading your article.

Thanks for posting it.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Dear friend and all who are willing to try to do something whatever they are capable of....this kind of "poisoning of America" is happening everywhere.

I moved here ten years ago from AustinTx. (I was a musician then I had a baby boy who suffered horridly from environmental pollution) We moved to where I am now. Since moving here I slowly developed the "thing" of which we all have in common. In ten years two power plants, one electric and one gas are to my east and west; a train track which carried varied and noxious matter is to my south; to the north...oh my God! IH-10. Idiot builders are putting houses on every lot not alreadywith some form of abode and I would bet if I could, my bottom dollar in less than ten years we in this area will be condemned! The writing or better, the pollution is on the wall.

Two years ago I went door to door trying to get some support to stop these plants and all I met was apathy!

We now only drink and cookwith bottled water./Ev;eryday is an "Ozone action" Day and I have yet to meet anyone on the street (I live in a goat-roper community) who knows or cares what an OzoneAction day is! They just run around spraying steroids uptheir noses to breath the stuff! Lil'