Annl and Annette 2

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teach6, Jan 2, 2003.

1. teach6

teach6 New Member

I see that you both are or were working for the NYC Public Schools. My son is now employed there as a Pre-K teacher in the South Bronx. His fiancee is a speech clinician in a middle school a couple miles away from him.

Ann, my other son went to art school at Pratt in Brooklyn. Jaimy's brother also studied there. What a small world we live in!

Barbara
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

Bumping for Annl and Annette2

Barbara
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Barbara, I wasn't a teacher in the NYC schools. I worked as a Secretary for the Assistant Superintendant in charge of Curriculum in District 10 in the Bronx. District 10 oversaw 26 elementary and junior high schools. This was back in 1972-1973. My husband is an Audiologist, and at that time was working in a school for the deaf in the Bronx. Also, my cousin went to Pratt about 30 years ago - she got a full scholarship! It's an excellent school. I haven't lived in New York since 1979. I miss it terribly - the last time I was there was in 1996. I'd love to go back again and visit - it's the greatest city in the world!!!!

Annette2
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

Isn't amazing what a small world it is? It's kind of like the way my son and his fiancee met last eyar.

He went to grad school at Univ. Of Illinois at Champagne/Urbana where he got his Masters in Early Childhood Education. Then he somehow decided to go to Orlando to work. I never understood why he chose Orlando out of any place he could have gone. As you probably can imagine men in early childhood who are actually good teachers can write their own ticket wherever they go.

He met his fiancee at his school in Florida. To make it more interesting she had sworn she was not returning to the school after her previous year there, but for some reason decided to stay when they offered her a different job as a Special Ed. Pre-K teacher instead of speech clinician.

For them it was love at first sight. While all their friends were worried they were going into things too quickly. When she told me about not knowing why she even went back to the school the second year I looked at her and said, "I know." It just seems they were destined to meet.

She went to school at Queens College while he was at Rutgers. They both developed a love for the city and therefore decided to return there this year. It's just amazing how many similarities they have.

She is half Nicaraguan and therefore bilingual. She always wanted to teach her children Spanish. When they had been dating for only a month they were already discussing this! My son was so excited because he had studied Spanish and hoped to use it in Florida, but his students were mostly from Haiti and he had no Spanish speaking children in his class there. Her mother really loves it when he talks to her in Spanish. It's especially funny because she and her daughter speak in English only.

Now I'm rambling again. It's so amazing how many little coincidences there are in life.

Barbara
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I really believe that! My sister and her husband met in Orlando too. We were living there and the Navy was transferring us to Jacksonville. My sister wanted to move out of NY and decided to come to Orlando. She had visited us there while we lived there and liked it. She was very unhappy and lonely though. Anyway, it was there that she met her husband-to-be. They got married and decided they didn't like Florida, and now live in North Carolina. They are both so happy! If she hadn't moved to Orlando they never would have met! Where in NY does your son and his fiancee live? I'm glad they're happy there - it really has the most a city can offer and is just wonderful! You can give your kids so much! I'm happy for them!

Annette2
  6. annl

annl New Member

Barbara, I'm sorry that I didn't answer sooner but I haven;t been on the computer - just too tired returing to work after time off.

Your right - It is a small world and some things are just meant to be. Things always happen for a reason. We sometimes don't know the reasons at the time. Barbara. I'm so glad that your son met someone who he can be truly happy with. It's rare to see couples so happy in marriages today. I just loved reading about it. It must really make you feel good knowing that your son is doing so well.

Anette, you're absolutely right about NYC - ther's no other place like it in the world - especially during the holidays. I went to the city 2 weeks ago to meet my sister-in-law and brother-in law who were in from Colorado. They gave a trip to the city as a Christmas gift to 2 of their grandchildren. They were so excited seeing all the people and the decorations(especially the tree at Rockefeller Center}. You can't beat NYC!

MaryAnn
  7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Oh, I envy you! I really love NY at Christmastime! Everything is so special! I hope I get to go back soon. I have a cousin living on Long Island and I can probably stay with her! If I do go I'll let you know! Have a good weekend.

Annette2
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

They are living in a shoebox size apartment on the Upper East Side. They weren't thrilled with the rent, but had only a couple of days to look for a place and found little available to them at the time. I know they plan to live elsewhere (cheaper) next year, but for now they are enjoying life in the city to the fullest.

I plan to go up there to visit them sometime soon, I hope. I haven't been there since they moved at the end of August. I am a bit concerned though about getting around the city. I really don't care to drive, however I'm not sure how I'll get around. In the past I have always taken the train and then the subway to Brooklyn, when my other son was there. I have NMH and am only able to stand for a few minutes at a time and can only walk very short distances now, so that could pose a problem.

Barbara