Annoyed By TV Show "Charmed" Making Light of CFS . . .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Feb 19, 2003.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I was flipping channels the other day and came across a T.V. show called Charmed (I have Dish TV, so I'm not sure what channel it was on) . . . I had never seen it before but started watching it. Evidently the three women in it are supposed to be witches, but one of them became ill and was in the hospital with some deadly virus . . . before they diagnosed her she said "Oh, I probably just have some trendy disease like mono or Epstein-Barr" . . . I hate when television portrays things like this. People already think CFS is chronic epstein-barr or people complaining about being tired . . . the producers of this show don't even know epstein-barr and mono are the same virus. I am also so sick of people calling CFS "trendy" . . . I was disappointed to see the Dr. Andrew Weil even calls it trendy on his website . . . good lord, we must be the hippest group of people there is . . . makes it sound like it was the cool thing to get, so we all went out and got it. I have a girlfriend, who when she learned I had CFS, told me to watch the Golden Girls because one of them had it and then they didn't have it in the next show . . . good grief! Terri
  2. Dayle

Dayle New Member

on target, Terri. YOU said it all. Dayle
  3. evileva

evileva New Member

everyone is so ignorant about this disease! I wish just one time those idiots could walk in OUR shoes for awhile, I seriously doubt if they would think that it was "trendy" then. Sorry, but this p****d me off royal! I am also in a "trendy" flare, so don't mind me. You said it well, Terri.
    Eva
  4. philsr

philsr New Member

That episode of The Golden Girls is what helped me figure what was wrong with me before the Dr did. A few months later, he walks in and says,"I think you have CFS." I had asked him about it then and he really just didn't know anything about it. Now he treats several PWC's.
  5. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I have not actually seen the Golden Girls episode so I have no idea how they portrayed the disease. With that comment I just meant my friend seemed to think that I didn't need a dr. & I could learn all about it from a t.v. show that was made back in the 80's. I just always wonder when people say these things what they would be doing if they were sick like this. My husband maintains the attitute that if I would just relax and forget about it it would go away, under no circumstances should I talk about being ill and if he was ill he would still be working . . . Terri
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

I know just how you all feel. My sister told me all I need to do is get up in the morning and take a hot shower and then I'll be OK and could go to work. My daughter thinks I just need to exercise and everything will be OK. Oh, how I wish we transfer our pain and fatigue into them for just a 24 hour period. I have a friend, best friend for over 40 years, who no longer calls or comes around because she got tired of me cancelling plans that Iwould make for her. It's sad that it takes something like this to help week out those who are truly friends and those who are not.

Dara
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

The show they did on CFS was excellent. Rose even empathized to Dorothy that she didn't "look" sick, so that's why nobody was taking her seriously. It's a good show, and I hope anyone that hasn't seen it will run across it eventually. It's on twice a day here in MN.

Marilyn :)
  8. TerriM

TerriM New Member

did she magically recover in the next episode? I'm glad they did a good portrayal, but if she didn't continue to have the disease I tend to think it still may be misleading. I'm glad they mentioned the issue of not looking sick . . . my friend after she told me about this said "on the golden girls they say there is no cure, so that must be true . . . " This is a friend I have had for 25 years. Its weird sometimes how people think everything on T.V. is the truth . . . that's why I was mentioning the show was an old one and there has been changes in what we know over the past several years. Thanks! Terri
  9. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

how ignorant people are. The writers on some shows should think before they put pen to paper, but they don't .

You would never see people making fun of others who have obvious physical conditions.

I get so angry at some of the writing in show that I can't even watch them anymore.
  10. philsr

philsr New Member

Terri,

I don't think it was ever mentioned again after that one episode. But just the fact that it was mentioned is a good thing. It made a very good point about some Dr's not knowing or caring and how unknown this DD is. And, she told the Dr off. Every time I see that episode, I want to say "You go girl" to Dorothy. It would have been better if they would have kept it going in the other episodes though. I think someone involved with the show probably had the DD, or knows someone who does and was trying to help get the word out in some way and that is what we need. Someone the public would listen to and realize how bad this is. Oh well, maybe one day.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It was an excellent show. Obviously, this sit-com tackled different things every episode and so this theme did not show up in other episodes. It was not a show like Ally McBeal with an ongoing story line.

The main thing which made this so good was that Dorothy didn't understand what was wrong with her and had a hard time getting a diagnosis. One of the docs was particularly arrogant and she had a chance to tell him off at the end of the show. She did find a caring doc who was able to tell her what was wrong.

This was years ago and still, our illnesses don't receive the recognition they deserve. To make matters worse, our illnesses are often trivialized. "Trendy?" Lord help us!

Love, Mikie
  12. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I am glad the the Golden Girls producers did the show and especially the statements of not looking ill and telling the unsupportive dr. off who didn't believe in the disease. As I said, I have never seen this episode and would love to . . . I wasn't really saying anything bad about it since I haven't seen it . . . I was just appalled at some of the other press I've read. There was also a mention in some articles I've read about "depression" & "getting exercise" like we are all just lazy, depressed & tired. I would love for anyone to show me someone with a chronic illness that hasn't gotten depressed at one time or another . . . its simply human.

Yes, the show this week mentioned "trendy" and Dr. Weil's site actually called it "faddish" . . . Terri
  13. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I am glad the the Golden Girls producers did the show and especially the statements of not looking ill and telling the unsupportive dr. off who didn't believe in the disease. As I said, I have never seen this episode and would love to . . . I wasn't really saying anything bad about it since I haven't seen it . . . I was just appalled at some of the other press I've read. There was also a mention in some articles I've read about "depression" & "getting exercise" like we are all just lazy, depressed & tired. I would love for anyone to show me someone with a chronic illness that hasn't gotten depressed at one time or another . . . its simply human.

Yes, the show this week mentioned "trendy" and Dr. Weil's site actually called it "faddish" . . . Terri
  14. JanetNC

JanetNC New Member

I didnt see this tv show and I really cant remember the golden girls show but I probably saw it as it was a favorite of mine back in the 80s.

But I have to have read the funniest article back last summer in ELLE magazine. Funny in a really sad way. It was on fibro. If you think calling our disorders trendy is bad...omg....this magazine described fibro as "the thin, successful womens disease". I rolled. To think...all these years I thought I was fat and unsuccessful.
  15. TerriM

TerriM New Member

They used to claim that CFIDS affects mostly upwardly mobile caucasian women, but later found out that they were the only people being counted by their doctors . . . it obviously affects people of both sexes and all diffent ethnic groups. They probably saw some old info when they did that report . . . what ever happened to responsible journalism?
  16. IngyW68

IngyW68 New Member

Hi there,

Yes, I agree that so many people just don't understand but that is their problem, not ours.

Please read my post about Seabiscuit and the author Laura who has CFS. She gas gotten great press and really good articles have been written about her and the disease.

Also you can do searches on "The Book Seabiscuit" or Laura Hillenbrand and it comes up with all the articles written so far.

One of them talks about how they should change the name to something more scientific since it sounds so contrite.

But, WE all know it exists and is not fun for anyone!

Take care,

Ingrid
  17. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I have a couple of comments. First, the reason they did the episode was because the lady who was the creator of the show got CFIDS and had to stop working on the show because of it. I never watched the show, but did see that particular episode because my mother had alerted me that it was going to be on. I don't know the character's name, but it's the Estelle Getty character, she went with Dorothy, and made a lot of annoying ethnic remarks. The doctor happened to be Chinese, and Estelle Getty kept making remarks about Chinese food which I found in extremely poor taste. I didn't think the episode was good at all. Just my opinion.

Hippo

[ advertisement ]