anorexia/bulimia and CFIDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeunefille, Nov 26, 2005.

1. jeunefille

jeunefille New Member

Has anyone else ever heard of a correlation between these two disorders? Recently my great-aunt said she read an article where people who used to be anorexic have a greater risk of developing CFIDS later in life. I had known recovered anorexics had higher risks of brain tumors, but I didn't know about CFIDS and this seems to make sense to me.

I was anorexic at age 15-16 and developed CFIDS at age 20....but I kind of suspect it was dormant and I was only seeing symptoms of a shoddy immune system and then the fatigue just flew on in.
  2. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

There is a subset of Pt's who have FMS, that are underweight.

I have always been underweight, then gained around 90lbs when I first started noticing the FMS/CMPD symptoms.

A few years later, I lost around 70lbs practically overnight.
    Went through all the test's. nothing wrong that would explain the weight loss.

I just am not Interested in Food any more, most of it makes me sick, I mean SICK.
    So I have hardly anything that I can really eat.

I get real tired of others judging me, because it'sNot Fun to be this Thin. It's Not Healthy to be this thin, that's for sure.

I see my Rhuemotoligst next Month, and she will notice right off the bat, that I am back down to 113lb, when a few months ago I was at 133lbs.
    I have been under Huge Stress, so it's Understandable.

BTW, I live in the Long Beach area, I see your from SO Ca. too. Sorry you have CFS, I have Fatigue, but it's different than what you experience.
    But Fatigue is Fatigue right, and when you can't Fuel the body, it's bound to Hit you.

Sincerely,
    sharonk
  3. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have lost my appetite and have started having the same thoughts I use to have when I was anorexic back when I was 15.When I do eat I feel sick.I force myself to eat and then I think about how much weight I have lost(70 pds) and I then I don't push the need to eat.I have 40 more pounds to lose.But too, when I do eat I feel sick.So that is helping me not to eat all awhile I am thinking of how much weight I am losing.Anorexia never leaves you.It's a matter of keeping control of those thoughts but it is very hard when you hurt and food makes you sick.Family and friends say things like "wow you have lost so much weight".I say thanks but they don't know that this is mostly due to not feeling well and a slight bit of that old anorexia thoughts flowing through my head.Like right now,I don't feel good.I can't think of anything I would want to eat.I will go hours with my stomach growling and still not eat.Food rarely appeals to me now.And then I will think don't eat if you don't feel good and you will lose alot more weight.But once I reach my goal weight I am afraid I won't be any better,I'll keep losing weight especially if I still feel bad like this.I am concerned about the weight lose but I have to admit happy to be going down in size just wish it wasn't this way.
    Thanks for posting this,I have been concerned about this myself.
    Sheila
  4. KelB

KelB New Member

My first spell of CFS in the early 80s, was accompanied by anorexia. No signs of it this time thankfully.

At least now I know to be aware of the potential risk - I hadn't really linked the two. Thanks for the heads-up.
  5. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Had anorexia around 14-15, lost tons of weight. CFS didn't start until I was 27. That's interesting.
  6. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Who has been anorexic for about 16 years - was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue about 4 years ago.......Kathi
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Garth Nicolson has found a higher incidence of eating disorders in people with our illnesses. In my own family, there is a member who had annorexia and now has FMS.

Love, Mikie