Another Awareness Day project (knotted ribbons)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kalina, May 2, 2003.

1. kalina

kalina New Member

I just thought I would share a project I participated in last year for Awareness Day. The project, sponsored by Change Inc. and New York Support Network, was called "Forget-Me-Knots." We were asked to contribute quipus (a quipu is the way the people of the Andes kept records, using knots tied in cotton cord), with each knot to represent a year we have each lost to these CFIDS, FM, MCS and related illnesses. Some of the quipus that were contributed to the project had only a knot or two; some had well over 20.

Hundreds of quipus were collected and attached to one cord, and were put on display so people could see and feel the impact of the years lost to these DDs. We had to use one-inch wide ribbon, but were allowed to chose whatever color we felt best represented our illness. People sent in quipus in all colors, so I imagine the finished piece was quite impressive.

I created my quipu from several different colors, in shades of purple and red (to represent my pain and fatigue) and white (to represent hope). After knotting all three ribbons together, the result was rather pretty.

I submitted one quipu and made another one to wear the week leading up to Awareness Day. Several people noticed it and asked what it was, so I was able to educate a few people this way.

I still have last year's quipu, but I had neglected to leave enough room for more knots (silly me!). I'm making another quipu with one more knot this year just to wear, and I also want to print some small cards explaining the purpose of the quipu and adding a few facts about CFIDS and FM.

If you like this idea, please use it and spread awareness!

Kalina
    [This Message was Edited on 05/04/2003]
  2. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

What a wonderful idea! I am sure that it was a huge length when they were all linked together. I am impressed!
  3. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Most people never think of our illness in terms of lost years, that is except for all of us. What a great way to give recognition to the loss that comes with our host of other problems. I do believe I will take you up on the offer to do this this awareness day. Thanks! love, Rebel
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The knots represent years lost to illness, but the symbolism of our "knots of pain" is also not lost on me.

Love, Mikie
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

another of the things we can all do.

I posted a topic too just to remind people that we can all do something.

Most people are not aware of how much power they have.

Taking some action, no matter how small, can make us feel we are taking more control over our lives and benefits the the CFS/FM community as a whole.

Cheers

Tansy
  6. kalina

kalina New Member

Just bumping in case anyone who would be interested in this missed it. I posted this Friday night, and...WHOOSH...it was lost and gone!
  7. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

What a terrific idea! I'm going to get started on my right away.

Spreading the awareness! Lisa
  8. celina

celina New Member

Amazing idea. What day is Awareness Day?
    Celina
  9. kalina

kalina New Member

Awareness Day is May 12!

May 12 is the birthday of Florence Nightingale, who had an undiagnosed, debilitating disease for many decades.

Kalina
  10. kalina

kalina New Member

Just trying to keep this thread on the front burner for a little while longer this week. I've been working on my Awareness Day e-mails and letters today, and I'm pooped!

Kalina