Another B12 injection question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Oct 14, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

My pharmasist told me that I can give my shots in my thigh. I have been doing that for the past 3 days but it seems like I bruise no matter where I give it. Anyone have any idea why I would bruise so easily from the injection or is this normal with B12? Thanks Mick!!
  2. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Thanks....Hugs...Mick!!
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

If you've ever noticed, doctors give these kinds of shots in the patient's butt. That's in large part because it doesn't bruise back there.

After a while of having constantly bruised thighs, I started giving myself the B12 (and other shots) on my hip, as far back as I could. I rarely got any bruising.

If you a family member etc. who's willing to give you the shots, further back might be even better. I found the back hip to be fine though. My doctor was aware of this and did not object.
  4. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I used to bruise all the time. Now I only bruise some of the time. I guess you just get used to it...or learn what bruises and what doesn't.

I'm very gentle. I place the needle against the skin and gently push...I don't play "darts" like some nurses do.

I think we bruise because the veins and capillaries are so close to the surface, not like our butts.

The bruises are worth it. B12 helps with energy (although it takes a while to notice it) and it's a whole lot cheaper. If you go to the docs it costs (me) $10. I can get a year's worth of B12 and the syringes for about $40.

Don't give up!

God Bless.
  5. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

I inject b-Complex in my butt/hip region. Rarely do I bruise.

Love & Light
  6. dahopper

dahopper New Member

and wish someone explain exactly the best way for me to try and give my shot to myself. I find I never feel like getting out and going to let my sister-in-law give me the shot. How much and how often is it safe to take the shot?
    Thank You for any help you can give me. I know I felt better when I was taking the shots. Hugs Debbie
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

My doc started me on one shot a day for ten days. Not sure after that but I will let you know when I find out. I give myself the shots in the front part of my thigh. I can reach easily and sit down while I am doing it. Just not sure why sometines it bruises. I guess a bruise is ok as long as I feel better in the end. I am on day three and really don't feel much change yet but hopefully I will see a difference soon...I HOPE>>> Good luck and I would talk to your dac about how often you can take the shots. I am curious too...~hugs~Mick!!
  8. dahopper

dahopper New Member

How many cc's are you doing a day at the moment? And Thank You for your reply. I was doing 1cc a day awhile back and felt so much better but I only did that for about four days and then went back to once a week. Hugs Debbie
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I used to do 1cc (I think that was the amount) 2x per week.
  10. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Deb....I am doing 1cc per day for ten days. Then I am not sure what he is going to have me do after that...Hugs...Mick!
  11. pepper

pepper New Member

the kind of B12 you are giving yourself. Cyanocobalamine is not nearly as potent as methylcobalamine.

My doctor orders pre-loaded needles that are very very small - minimal chance of bruising.

I used to bruise when I was injecting daily Cyanocobalamine in my thighs. I had to stop when I ran out of unbruised sections on my thighs.

Now I am injecting tiny needles of methylcobalamine in my buttocks twice a week. If you do inject in your buttocks make sure that you inject in the UPPER OUTER quadrant of your buttock.

Pepper
  12. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

what is the difference between these 2? I am in Canada, and started B12 injections 1/wk for 10wk and have had 3 so far.

I am taking the Cyanocobalamine, and asked the nurse about the different kinds, and she didn't even KNOW that there were different kinds! This seems to be all they use where I live! I saw all the different bottles for other people that are getting B12 shots and they where all the same kind.

Where I live no one (that I or the nurse is aware off) gives themselves the shots. We don't have to pay anything to get the shots, just pay for the B12 itself.

I get them in the arm. The first 2 didn't hurt at all, but this last one burned like a bugger! I am getting 1 mg per shot.

Raz
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2006]
  13. FM58

FM58 New Member

My doc gave me a script for Insulin Syringes - they are 1/2"(12.7mm)length needle, 30 guage needle.

I take 1cc subcutaneously 3x a week. My B12 is Cyanocobalamin.

I was taught to inject myself into my abdomen, it does not hurt & rarely leaves a mark. In fact, I have been giving myself B12 injections since January, and I can remember only 1 time that I left a mark.

I also give myself Magnesium injections, I started giving them into my thigh- but had too many problems. I was always black & blue, sore or left a lump. My doc showed me how to inject into my hip, rear end area. I use a different gauge needle for that.

So, you may want to try the B12 in your abdomen, but check w/ your doc first. Good Luck!

Patty
  14. rose52

rose52 New Member

Could you please expalin why?? your doing the B12 injections??
    This is an interesting topic to me.. does it have to do with the fibro??
    Just needing to know.. bringing back something a dr. told me as a younger woman.
    thanks
    Rose
  15. hob

hob New Member

I gave myself the shots in the arm and bruised less. Dr. only had be do the shots for the ten days to boost my energy then had my go to an oral version.

hob
  16. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Iam taking it beacuse my level was pretty low. My doc told me that my B12 level should be around 1000 and mine was 400 when first checked.Now it is up to 600 and I am feeling a little less tired every day. Just a tiny bit better daily but anything is better than sleeping 12 to 16 hours a day. If you are tired all the time you should have your PCP check your levels....~hugs~ Mick!!
  17. deliarose

deliarose New Member

but I have found a 1cc shot is a waste of time for me.

I am going to ask my doc to give me the compounded variety that is about 10,000 mcg per shot.

Some european studies have indicated u need mega doses to see any therapeutic effect in CFS.

Check out pianowoman's posts..she is getting this kind of dose...

delia
  18. The only thing the rheumatologost has offered is provogil and exercise! Provigil didn't seem to do anything for me and he keeps insisting on sleep meds. I seem to not to be able to make him understand, I am a 45 year old single mother of an 8 year old and after 8 hours of work, my energy is all used up and need help functioning in the evening for my 8 year old. As it is now, as soon as we get home I fall asleep! Would B-12 help or does anyone have any other suggestions? HELP ME PLEASE
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
  19. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I have been taking b12 shots for 6 days now and I am starting to feel a little better. Have your doc check your levels. If they are below 1000 have him try you on them. Its worth a try and it can't hurt.Good luck~hugs~ Mick
  20. suexi

suexi New Member

I take them because i get anemic after my periods. i inject in my thigh at least once a week. used to bruise; don't anymore. During the summer i feel at my worst w/cfs and it doesnt seem like anything helps; not even the shots but i keep doing them cuz im afraid i will feel worse.
    susan