Another Bladder Infection

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2float, Apr 30, 2009.

1. luv2float

luv2float New Member

I am in so much pain today! All over.

I keep getting bladder infections about every 2 months. This one is the worst yet. Went to my Urologist yesterday, he said my urine was full of blood and pus. Last time I went there with the same thing, my culture came back with traces of e-coli. He wants to do further testing on me to determine the cause but my insurance is wanting their co-pay of $1500 up front! Don't have the money so now he wants to put me on a low dose of antibiodic to help prevent them, not crazy about this option.

I've read that people with fibro can get multiple infections, any of you affected by this? I'm worried that I may have a stone but can't get the test. What were your symptoms.

Please help, any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  2. spacee

spacee Member

I used to have recurrent uti's. Horrible, awful. On Antibiotics as preventative. Bladder streched 4 times, told I had interstitial cystitis...I think my bladder was inflammed.

Then I started taking NADH from Prohealth. It was for more energy. NO MORE BLADDER PROBLEMS!! (all caps for emphasis, not shouting...though I could shout about it).
    This stuff is pricey though.

Later I learned about D-mannose. That is an "filler" in the NADH. So it wasn't the main ingredient in the NADH, it was the stabilizer.

You can get 90 capsules of D-mannose for $19.00. At first you will need it several times a day but later after your bladder gets better, you can probably cut down.

I cannot believe this stuff isn't sold my urologists! I have found a couple of articles written in the Journal of Urology where they are using this when they treat kidney stones and they like it for that (?).

Mannose is a simple sugar but the body does not process it like regular sugar (ok for diabetics). It keeps the e coli from sticking to the wall of the bladder.

I agree, a bladder infection. my whole body would be in pain from it.

My 10 year old neice is started to get them and we are looking into this for her.

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

First, I think Spacee is right. I've read a lot of very good things about d-mannose for bladder infections, so I would definitely give it a try.

Also, unsweetened cranberry juice (Trader Joe's is a good place to get it) can help. It doesn't taste as bad as it sounds. Health food stores also carry it.

Also, drink plenty of water, and add lemon juice to your water. The lemon juice helps cleanse the kidneys and other organs. Avoid sodas - carbonated stuff is really hard on your kidneys. And go easy on caffeine - again, hard on your kidneys.

One more thing - I used to have trouble with my right kidney, but it improved a fair amount when I started drinking filtered water. The tap water was not good. I use a Britta pitcher with filter, so it's inexpensive, but I really notice a difference if I start drinking tap water again, which I won't do.

Good luck --

4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I recently recovered from two infections that I had at the same time. One was respiratory and one a bladder infection that I got a week later. I took doxycycline tablets for 3 weeks and it seems to have all cleared up. I had no adverse side effects from the antibiotic except toward the end of treatment, I got a little rash on both cheeks so I cut back on the amount of doxy and it cleared up. This antibiotic seems to be for a lot of different types of infections. It is the only one so far that I can tolerate 'cause I have lots of medicine allergies. Hope you find some help soon. It is painful.

They also prescribed an external cream for the burning and soreness. GB66
  5. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Food sensitivities and allergies can cause bladder infections. I had recurrent bladder infections and found out that being gluten intolerant can cause them if you continue to eat gluten and when I really sat down and thought about it, I realized I usually ended up with a bladder infection after I ate a lot of gluten products. You may want to see if you are eating anything you may have an intolerance to.

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You poor thing!!
    My Mom was getting them every couple of months - the antibiotics they were giving her were making her so sick, by day 3. (levoquin) - never again for her!
    Peridium? was great for pain relief - localized to that area.
    They finally prescribed macrobin (din?) a preventative and no more UTI's!!!

No matter what route you choose, finding a preventative med is something I would highly recommend.
  7. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

My mom has been getting bladder infections as long as I can remember. She has to take a very strong antibiotic for it. Also, docs always told her to drink cranberry juice to make the urine acidic. That never helped. Then a doc said to do the opposite & make the urine alkaline. She does this with a 1 day long regimen of sipping baking soda in water. Mom says this does work.

Mom is diabetic & the baking soda in water doesn't have any side effects for her.
    If someone has high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. where they have to watch their sodium, it might not be as safe.
    I'm just telling what works for Mom.

You sure have my sympathy! Bladder infections make Mom absolutely miserable.
  8. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Just wanted to mention that many people with chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection have repeated bladder infections (or other infections such as sinus).

Here is some good info you can look at. there is a great symptom checklist in the back. You don't need to have all the symptoms...but if you have numerous ones, consider borrelia infection as a cause.

Many people who had a CFS or FMS diagnosis, later found out the cause of their symptoms was a chronic infection by the lyme bacteria and related coinfections.

If you want more info you can leave a post for me on the lyme board.