Another crazy/insane

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaminhealth, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just reinforces my belief that no one, outside the police and military, needs assault weapons. I would have more respect for the NRA if they would, at least, give on this point.

My heart goes out to the families of those killed and injured in this tragic shooting.

Love, Mikie
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

there are just TOO MANY unstable people here who have access to these weapons...

now more killings in the Portland mall. i have very little info on all that now.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are very difficult to protect oneself from. We should not have to feel unsafe at the mall or movies. Will we have to go through scanners like at the airport soon? Even if I were armed, it would be almost impossible to defend against someone armed like these mad men.

I take my gun with me to the mall in town. Some very tough-looking characters ride the bus there and hang out. The bus stop used to be outside Penney's but they changed it to the outer edge of the parking lot so they aren't hanging around intimidating customers at Penney's.

I also took my gun with me when I left Barb at the bus stop for her cruise bus. It's in the parking lot of McDonald's. It was dark out. By the time we got there, it was getting light out and more cars were pulling up to get the bus.

There are soooo many armed people in FL that I think a crook is nuts to try something. Crooks are different, though, than these crazies who do the mass shootings. Just watch, this newest shooter will have left a trail of clues as to his violent nature.

Again, my thoughts are with the victims.

Love, Mikie
  4. jaminhealth

many are blaming the violent videos in the hands of people today....some are blaming this a lot.

Thinking thru all this violence, for one BIG ONE, so many people and so many with no jobs,,,they are desperate. None of this went on when we had so much industry in our country. Not that I knew of anyway....

Just hearing about a 14 yr old girl who was shot in the face by a gang kid walking on the street, the gang kid was attempting to "rob" the girls....

A huge mess for so many, the rich just sit back and rack in the $$$....
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What causes a person to do something like this? All this kid's friends are saying he was "so sweet" and that they were shocked. Somewhere, there had to have been signs of things to come. Some people of abviously mentally unstable while others seem to be OK and then, just snap. We need to understand the mechanics of how this happens. Early intervention could save lives.

I think bullying plays a big part in some of the violence. It is rampant in the schools. The jury is still out on whether violent games and movies are a factor but I doubt they are healthy.

My DGS is well regarded by his classmates. My DD has gone out of her way to encourage him to befriend all kinds of kids, especially those who seem different. He sets a good example and the other kids seem to follow. I'm proud of them both.

Love, Mikie
  6. bct

bct Member

It's all about guns. U.S. has more guns in private hands than any other country in the world except Yemen. Who wants to live there?

Born in England, and living there many yrs, when we moved to the states when I was finishing high school i was amazed, even then, about all the stories about gun killings. Didn't get exposed to that mind-set in England.

With sadness,
    Barry
  7. jaminhealth

and words being used are massacre and people are NUMB....

Newtown, CT, population 27K+[This Message was Edited on 12/14/2012]
  8. jole

jole Member

All these innocent babies, teachers, principle.....and now some family members being found dead also.

Have any of you noticed the ages of these shooters? Early 20's. I've read many mental illnesses seem to hit young men around the age of 15-20. Not saying it was the case here, but most parents know their child has severe problems. Some come down extremely hard on their kids, some ignore it thinking it's a 'phase' they'll outgrow, and some are responsible parents who try to intercede with mental health care. Unfortunately, if the patient is of age and declines care, they can walk out.

My personal opinion is.....get rid of all assault weapons (impossible) or get the mental health laws changed. It won't stop all incidents, but may save someone's life.

On another note, I read there were 20 (ish) kids in a school in China yesterday that were knifed.

Wish I knew the answer to all these deaths/suicides. Another sad day for our country.....prayers being said for the kids and families.
  9. jaminhealth

our hearts are broken...mine sure feels broken over this.
  10. jaminhealth

were all injured and not killed, how true I'm not sure...had they been shot, who knows how many would be dead.

Talking to my male neighbor, he's 45 or so, we were talking about this and he said this was never heard of many yrs ago, before video world....there have always been guns.

So who knows what triggers all this madness. Drugs, desperation of no work, videos, too much easy access to guns...all seem to be at the hands of young boys/men.
  11. jaminhealth

4 killed including gunman and state troopers injured near Harrisburg, Pa.

And what were the words from the Pres of the NRA today:

"The only thing to stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun",,,,words to this effect....

Truly sick sick sick mentality. Then he allegedly said something to the effect every school should be guarded with a guard with guns....

I'm so foreign with guns and the NRA, but someone on the radio said that the NRA was formed for gun safety, if this is true I don't know, then the big money took over and this is what is has become.....
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It was a tradition in many parts of the country, mostly the South, that when a boy turned 12, he was given a 22 rifle. The NRA has always had a gun safety program for youngsters.

Now, though, they have turned into a wealthy lobbying entity in DC. It is fear of, and money from, the NRA which keeps our reps. and sens. from passing reasonable gun laws.

As y'all know, I keep guns for target practice and protection. I refuse to join the NRA because they are part of the problem. Sane and law-abiding citizens, like me, are not the problem. I told a friend of mine that I'm a good shot; I don't need a 30-round clip to hit the paper targets. No one needs big clips and assault weapons. Those are not for sport nor for hunting. They are for one thing only and we don't need that.

Love, Mikie
  13. jaminhealth

and it's usually in May as I recall, but it's been bumped up and a couple thousand guns have been turned in for food cards... That's such a drop in the bucket of all the guns out there...but it's better than not.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2012]
  14. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

--Remember the man who set fire to the house then ambushed the first responders by killing some, then wounding others, then killing himself. Turns out he could not get the weapons he had because he was a felon on parole. The neighbor's daughter bought those weapons and gave them to him. She was arrested as it is illegal to buy weapons for another. Will be interesting to see if they can charge her in any way for his use of the weapons.

--Since the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting, our news has been reporting a massive increase in weapons sales and assault weapons sales, in anticipation of any future potential laws. Thus the weapons will be grandfathered in as they were bought prior to the laws.
  15. jaminhealth

mad, a fringe of it anyway...gun sales going out of control.

and a fringe that believes sandy hook was staged!!!!! that's what I hear on my radio programs...greeeeeeezzz
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The President's Executive Orders. He wants more mental health care to be covered under insurance, including Medicare and Medicaid. Also, he wants mental health workers to be able to report unstable patients who should not be able to buy weapons. He also wants to make it easier for gun sellers to access the database for those banned from buying guns. There are provisions for schools to have police presence at schools.

Our sheriff just authorized more deputies to be at all our schools in the county. Used to be they only protected middle- and high-school bldgs. While on duty at the schools, after all the kids are safely inside, the deputies will teach what to do in emergencies, teach anti-bullying classes, and talk about drugs and other dangers to kids. I think this is excellent.

None of these things address assault weapons and large clips but they do address other contributors to dangerous situations. I still think we need to address the gun issues. The Executive Order to make vetting buyers of guns easier does address part of the gun issue. In the Columbine Massacre, a girl legally bought one assault weapon legally for one of the killers. This is known as a straw buyer and, I believe, she was prosecuted.

I respect those who do not want anyone to have guns but at this point, it's unrealistic to think that will happen here. Only criminals would have them. Some of my friends don't want to have them but I would bet they would like to see me coming with my gun if their lives were threatened. It gives me more security to know there is a retired cop across the street who owns guns.

One final thought: There are too many gun owners who do not know enough about gun safety. When one gets a permit to carry, one has to take classes about what owning a gun entails, legally and regarding to safety. What is dreadfully missing is classes on handling, loading, unloading and shooting their guns. How many people are shot by guns which the owner thought was unloaded? Gun owners need to know their weapons and how to use them and, especially, when NOT to use them.

As I've said before--I hope and pray to never have to draw my gun against another. I am appalled by the lunatic fringe's reaction to any limit on gun ownership. I would guess they would buy Stinger missles if they could. Justice Scalia has gone on record as saying the Second Amendment has its limits. I have yet to see the fringe element express any compassion for the victims, or their grieving loved ones. All I've seen is anger and disrespect. Sad.

Love, Mikie

17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I can say pretty much is I agree with all you have said MIKIE. So much of the bad gun violence is connected to either drugs or mental health issues and many of us now are now arming themselves just to keep themselves safe. Those are really the issues that need to be heavily addressed, especially the mental health problems which no one really seems to be addressing properly. Others also like to hunt too and that is something else .

It is all very sad with the tragedies that keep happening but trying to take away everyone's guns is not the answer, I feel. However, I also believe that no one needs to have assault weapons in their homes either unless they are military or maybe police personnel ..

More maybe later on.

Love,
    Granni
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, I forgot the hunters. I've never heard of a hunter who uses assault weapons to hunt.

There is a viable reason for some to be able to use assault weapons--military and police who need to practice. The police and military provide those weapons. Also, there is competition using these weapons. It has been suggested that gun clubs keep the weapons and those who need to practice can rent them. This might not set well as competitors like to have their own guns, but it would get them out of homes. Of course, they would only be as safe as the gun clubs would keep them.

Just found out that the NRA has written the laws under which the Dept. of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives work. They have essentially neutered this dept.'s ability to monitor the one percent of gun sellers who are the problem. They also do not make sellers keep inventories and they do not do audits of these sellers except every 17 years. Yes, 17 years! Getting rid of providers of guns to people who should not have them would go a long way in getting guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

The NRA has been untouchable and doing just as it pleases. It puts out report cards on senators and congressmen and women. Without a high NRA rating, these people are in danger of losing their seats.

It's time we stop letting lobbyists for powerful entities write our laws. The NRA has done it before and so has Big Pharma when Medicare Part D was written. Even most NRA members want guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. It is the powerful people within the org. who are calling the shots, no pun intended. Only a groundswell of grassroots activism is strong enough to overcome this kind of power. We, the people, need to be heard.

We scoff at corruption in other countries' govts., but corruption is alive and well right here. Only we can stop it. If not now, after innocent children were killed en masse, when? The new executive orders have provided for increased mental health care. Even before this tragedy, mental health workers have been begging for help, especially for mentally ill children. Under the new healthcare program, mental health must be addressed just as any other health problem.

The problem is so huge but we can't just throw up our hands. We have to start somewhere. Just saying, "Enough is enough," to the NRA is a start.

Love, Mikie
  19. jaminhealth

for any guns, even the toy children's...rarely use the word kill and hate, but this is me and my mindset....

And I'm sure MOST of these mass killers were on cocktails of drugs and mainly anti depressants.....
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2013]
  20. jaminhealth

and who I learn so much from her....talked today about the shootings every day that never get reported, 100's....mentioned about 2 little brothers in FL and one was showing his brother the gun and it went off and killed the other...

Then there is the school shootings today at a Houston Community College...

It will never end.....the addiction to these killing machines.