Another credit card scam to watch out for

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Aug 26, 2009.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

After seeing Pippi's post about the phone scan I felt I should also mention something that happened to me this week.

I pay several bills on a autopay from my debit card. McAfee, paypal and a few others. I got a email from McAfee this week stating that my credit card had expired and I needed to contact ASAP by clicking here.

Well "here" was a redirected address, you can hold the mouse over the address and see where it will take you to without going there. I knew my card doesn't expire for 4 more months and my account is paid until Mar 2010, so knew it was bogus.

If you get these NEVER click on it. Go to the verifed website for that service and contact customer service and they will have you forward the email to them. It is the only way to keep the scammers at bay, but they will still try. Some sites have a place to click on just for these scams.

They do a very good job of copying a sites logo's and such and looks legit but they are not. ALWAYS go to the real site and never go by clicking on a email. we can never be too careful these days in the high tech world-Carla

2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Too many people believe these look alike e-mails ARE from their banks, from their credit cards, etc. and when they see the exact logo they believe IT IS THEIR BANK, CREDIT CARD, ETC. but it is not.

Some of the banks and other places have real web sites that you can send an e-mail and "attach" these fake ones so they can begin tracking where it is coming from then get it disabled through the server.

I constantly get e-mails that my Wells Fargo account is terminating unless I renew it online--I don't have a Wells Fargo account and it is a false phishing e-mail.
  3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Thanks for the reminder!

No matter how savvy we are (or think we are), it's always good to be reminded!!!!!

4. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Go info.