ANOTHER Herxing question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amejia, Oct 17, 2005.

1. amejia

amejia New Member

I just started ab's last week and now I am herxing. I have went thru the past posts and read up on it. But my question is how long might this go on???

Right now I am on minocycline mwf & clarithromycin (sp) tuesday & thursday with the weekends off both of them. I am glad i was home this weekend when I started it because I spent a good portion in the bathroom.

I am drinking peppermint tea now but still have a slighly upset stomache but nothing too bad..

I just want to know will this last a week or two or a month or two??? And if any body has any other suggestions out there????

Thanks a bunch...
    Ang
  2. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

My herx's last a few days (3-7), and happen about every 4 weeks or so.

Peppermint tea is good, so is ginger (or you can combine the two... the taste is interesting, but it works well).
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And the severity and length of Herxing depends on how efficiently our bodies are at eliminating the dead pathogens and how many are being killed off. The type of ABX can make a difference as can the type of bacteria being killed off or starved out.

I Herx hard and fast. My Herxing usually lasts between 24 and 48 hours with pretty severe diarrhea and sweating. When my body kills off bacteria, my torso has a burning sensation. When it's viruses, I have chills in my torso.

If Herxing becomes too severe for you or lasts too long, ask your doc about lowering the ABX dose or taking it every other day. Typically, as the number of bacteria decreases, so does the severity of the Herxing.

Probiotics can help a lot with the effects of the ABX on the gut's good bacteria and should definitely be taken. Drinking a lot of water helps the body rid itself of the dead pathogens.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  4. amejia

amejia New Member

I really appricate the fast responses!!!! I have been looking around to get all the info I can on how long I am going to feel this way, thanks alot...

Ang
  5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Can totally relate. I've been on doxy and biaxin since July and it's kicking my butt. The doxy is managable but the biaxin is one powerful drug.

Is your pain increased? Mine has. Yesterday I only took one because we are moving and have to function a little. Can't lay in bed. Going full guns on these antibiotics aren't going to work for me. Have to take this slow.

I've been on the probiotics and dyflucan and other immune boosting supplements plus the hormones. Have to say I've been herxing since starting but everyone is different. Yes I have that sick to my stomach and the anti-nauseau pill doesn't help me.

I've been drinking the water with lemon, I did test positive for yeast and possible Lymes (IND).

Cindy