Another Klonopin question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CockatooMom, Aug 20, 2006.

1. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I started taking Klonopin (well, the generic) two weeks ago, and I can't tell if it's helping or not!

It was Rx'd for RLS, myoclonic jerks during sleep, and to help me sleep in general.

I took the 1 mg tab the first night...didn't notice anything different.

I took the 1 mg tab the second night...noticed I didn't want to get up in the morning, but I was still tossing, turning all night, and staring at the ceiling.

Doc told me I could take 2 tabs (2 mg), so I tried that for a few nights...I remember waking up feeling frustrated in the middle of the night that I could not stay asleep.
    But found it even harder to get out of bed in the morning.
    (Thank heavens I'm not working right now.)

So I went back to 1 mg a night and added a vicoden...still not much difference.

Maybe I do not know what to expect with this drug.
    I also became VERY depressed this week, and now wonder if the klonopin had anything to do with it? Hmmmmm???

I will be calling my doctor Monday morning.

ANY THOUGHTS FAMILY??????????

I'm glad it works for many of you. Looks like I may have to go back to my zanaflex!

Hugs,
    E

2. tracii

tracii New Member

I've been taking 3 2 mg Klonies at night for years now though I know I slept much better on Ambien. I'd never fall asleep at all w/o the Klonies.

On the other hand, I've been on Serzone for YEARS & NOTHING works when docs have tried to switch it. I also took a gazillion of other meds before the Serzone finally "took".

Trying to get off all meds (other then the estrogen replacement) so I'll be ready to get pregnant (if I can get pregnant).

Also remember it takes a few weeks for your system to get used to new meds.

Good luck!
  3. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Hi Cockatoo Mom, I have also taken Klonopin for years to sleep. I feel it is very addicting as other reply because if I don't take i don't sleep AT ALL. However I do sleep with it. I take 1 and 1/2 mg. I also take serzone if that is zoloft. Tried to cut down and couldn't. Tho I do okay on it. Intermittent depression, but if it is side effect no idea which drug. I think I wouldn't do over again--BUT sleep is so important.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

For sleep, I take a half mg of Clonazepam (generic version of Klonopin), plus a teaspoon or two of powdered magnesuum dissolved in water, and usually 3 mg of melatonin.

I found out through an Adrenal Stress Index/Saliva test that my adrenal glands have a tendency to produce too much cortisol during the evening and around midnight, so I also take a product called Seriphos, which reduces cortisol output and helps calm my body so I can sleep. The magnesium helps with this, too.

If I don't overdo during the day, my sleep cocktail works pretty well. But if I overdo, I feel wired and shaky during the evening, and then NOTHING will help me sleep.

Have you tried other sleep meds: Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata, etc.?

Many of us know how miserable it is to not get sleep. I wish you luck and SLEEP.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2006]
  5. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Yes, I’ve been on Lunesta, Rozerem, and Ambien CR.

The lunesta works great, but I can’t stand the metallic taste leaves in my mouth, so I quit taking it.

The Rozerem didn’t work for me.

The Ambian CR worked OK for the 4 nights I took it, but all of them are too expensive.

I had mentioned going back on the zanaflex muscle relaxers, but they are over $80.00 a month!

I have NO insurance, and we are tight financially, so I have to be careful what I get, even supplement wise. My doc knows I like herbal supplements.

I take a powder Magnesium supplement too, but try to take it in the early evening as it keeps me awake.

As a matter of fact, I took my Klonopin at 10pm, and it’s after midnight and I can’t fall asleep! I’m so frustrated.

I HAVE to get this under control before school starts! Or, it will get ugly.

Keep those sleep wishes coming….
  6. labrat

labrat New Member

Have you tried trazodone? Don't know if its an option for you, but many people take a low dose for sleep.
    Good luck.
    Tracy
  7. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I was just about to post about this myself! I just tried klonopin for the first time (well, the first time in years - I took it about 15 years ago) the other night and it did nothing to help me sleep either! I had to take my Ambien CR on top of it in order to get to sleep! Also, I was much more depressed the next day as well. Grrrr... it is so frustrating when these drugs do not work as we expect them too.

Ambien CR is the best thing I have found for sleep. I know I am dependent on it, as I don't sleep at all without it. But I don't care right now. I desperately need my sleep. It's expensive, but I'm willing to pay it as long as I can for some sleep.

My doctor recently gave me a script for Pamelor to try for sleep, but I don't do well with AD's so I'm afraid to take it.
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

E:

Did the myoclonic twitching stop? Or the RLS.

I take it for those reasons and also seizures.

It helps me doze a little at night, but the FM doc just added in Restoril (off of Ambien).

I think Klonopin and you might eventually make a happy pair.

It does not make one feel 'high' and has a long half life.

Maybe you need more of it. I am on 4mg./day and with the other meds get some extra sleep than I was before.

I hope you work it out between you and doc.

I think of it as a 'wonder drug'. At least for me.

Good luck with it,

nyrofan
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

My Rheumy started me first on 10 mg of gen Flexeril before bedtime. That in itself did not seem to help much but then she told me to try adding .0.5 mg of gen Klonopin and that seemed to help. You might want to try that. However, as you probably already know, everyone is different and drugs and combinations of drugs may work very differently in every person. However, it might be worth a try for you.

BTW, I have FMS and CMPS and was getting up half the night it seems thinking I have to go to the bathroom., which I did. However, I don't have to usually if I take then about an hour or so before bed, go to the bathroom before bedtime. During the day I have a bathroom problems also but mronings are worse cause I also take Hyzaar with the enalapril for my hi b/p.

Blessings,

Granniluvsu (Marilyn)
  10. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I don’t know if the twitching and jerking has stopped because my hubby and I now sleep separately, but the klonopin MUST have been helping with the RLS.

I woke up at 2AM with my legs feeling all wiggly-weird, so I took a half of a klon and went back to bed.

I woke up at 7am feeling like I may want to get up, but rolled over and slept till 9am!

But I didn’t feel as lethargic this morning.

I am going to try taking a half pill tonight with the muscle relaxers.

Thanks,
    E
  11. albany

albany New Member

I just wanted to mention that I have always heard from my doctors that the generic form of klonopin is not the same and to always get the wafer brand name.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2006]
  12. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi, I thought I had responded to this thread, but maybe there were 2 klonopin threads.

Anyway, I take 1 mg klonopin (generic) at night. I used to take ambien, then I lost my insurance and I couldn't afford the ambein, so she gave me the klonopin.

It did help but I had to go back on my 75mg of pamelor. I stopped it when I went on ambien. The klonopin helps put you to sleep and the pamelor keeps you asleep.

Now I have ins and went back on ambein cr this time. I tried to give up the klonopin because my ins won't pay for it. I cut back to .50 for a couple weeks then every other night.

That was the same time I got really sick in April and May, I don't know if it was related or not but I went back up to 1mg.

After I started taking it about 2 years ago i noticed my treamors stopped and my over sensitivity to niose, I hated Walmart, the loud speaker, people talking, etc. That stopped after I had been on the klonpin.

I have taken vicodan in the past for my back pain, but it always kept me awake. I think there is a samll amount of caffeine or stimulant in it. They make you tired and groggy sometimes but not enough to help but hender sleep.

I hope you find the right combination to get a good night sleep- Carla