Another letter to the Editor Printed in my hometown paper

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoenixrising2, May 22, 2006.

1. phoenixrising2

phoenixrising2 New Member

My friend wrote this and it was printed in yesterday's (Sunday's) editorials. I didn't even know she was going to do it until it was already done. This is her take on what is going on with me.

My letter to the editor was printed last week and she did this to support me. What a great friend!

Chronic Fatigue is Serious Disease

Editor:

I am a firsthand observer of how Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, better known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, has affected a close friend. It is time this disease be recognized as being more than "just tired" or "the workings of an overactive imagination"

While the symptoms do not manifest themselves as spots on the body as chicken pox does, the symptoms vary according to what part of the body is being attacked at the moment. The best way I can think to describe what occurs is to think of how mononucleosis affected me when I was in my late teens. That ailment is not one I would wish to repeat.

Most people have heard of or have had mono. If you were to ask them if they would want it to last their lifetime, I suspect the answer would be an emphatic "no". That is what the CFIDS patient faces. While we as a people seem to understand what an immune dysfunction is, we conveniently drop that description from the name when referring to chronic fatigue. Maybe we'd rather just think of this as a disease that is not serious. If it attacks you or one you love, you will discover, much to your chagrin, that it is indeed a serious disease with daily life-altering reminders.

Sincerely,
    (Her Name)
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

What a wonderful friend to have! Thank you for sharing.

Sofi
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Loved it...tell her thanks from us for supporting you!!!

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  4. phoenixrising2

phoenixrising2 New Member

Yes, she is a dear friend. We lose so many when we can't keep up with everyone. I treasure her.

She and I try to go out for coffee and the library once a week when I feel like it. She drives for me when I'm not able. She's always trying to "save my energy" by doing things for me. I know she's just a telephone call away, which is a comfort.

She's the only friend that has stuck by me to that extent over these long years. I'm a lucky person.

I will tell her thanks from all of us brooksie, and thank you for wanting to thank her.

Love,

Phoenix