Another Look At the Paleo Diet for Newbies - CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

This subject has been discussed in the past but I was reminded of how important it can be for some of us when I had a physical this week.

I have avoided all sugar, bread - even whole grain - and all "white stuff" for several months. I'm amazed at how much clearer my thinking is and how much better I sleep. (Anxiety is a different matter but that's not caused by the diet. I'm sure it would be worse if I wasn't sleeping better.)

When I asked my doctor about it, she said that some people do much better on the Paleo diet like our caveman and women ancestors ate - no grain and no sugar. Hmm. Can it be this simple? Not a cure but certainly a step up for me.

You'll have to try it for yourself if you haven't. At first it seems impossible but only if you buy processed food. If you're like me, you'll soon have more energy - which you can use to prepare all your food! :~/

I also want to caution you to be aware of the HABIT of fatigue. I find that I'm often wary of increasing my activity in order to avoid a crash, but in doing so, I'm not stretching myself. We must never stop trying if only just a gentle bit.

2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yep, I've been there and it's a Catch 22. The worse we eat, the worse we feel and the worse we feel, the harder it is for us to shop and cook. One thing that helped me when I began is that if I had to eat grains or pasta (frozen dinners, those time and energy savers), I made sure it was only at night.

I hope your cave dries out and you can come out soon. Meanwhile, here's a flashlight. :>)

Hugs to you,
  3. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

I've been thinking about doing this diet or eating plan for the last couple months, but I have some issues and concerns with it.

First, I am severely underweight, and I just don't think I can eat ENOUGH calories sticking to the paleo diet instructions. The veggies and fruits just don't provide enough calories at a time, and my poor shrunken stomach just can't handle that much food anyway. I would literally have to eat ALL day and still probably not get enough calories.

Second, honestly, I just don't have the energy to prepare those foods. Nor the motivation. My hubby makes dinner at night, and if there's leftovers, I can heat that up for lunch, but trying to make food for myself when I'm home by myself is so hard. It just takes so much energy to even stand there and cut up fruits and veggies.

Third, there are not that many different types of fruits and veggies that I actually really like, so I tend to get burned out on them really quickly. Or my poor brain forgets what I have in there and they go bad before I get around to eating them.

Fourth, my cravings for salt and sugar keep getting the best of me. Especially the salt cravings. That has been my weakness for as long as I can remember.

I'll go through periods of being really good about what I eat, but I just can't seem to keep it up. Maybe its the burn-out on the good foods, or the lack of energy for it, or maybe just that I get overwhelmed by all the things I'm "not supposed" to eat. Its been worse lately, because I had a guest in town and so we ended up eating out the entire time she was here. I'm trying to get back into that mode of eating better, but the salt cravings keep catching me. They get especially bad around my periods.

Fortunately (and unfortunately), my state disability is running out, so at that point, we'll have no choice but to stick to basics, which means buying very very little junk food.

Does anyone know, though, if quinoa is as bad as all the other grains and white stuff?