Another MRI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janie056, Oct 31, 2006.

1. janie056

janie056 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I've been having some sign on issues, but now it has been fixed, I hope.
    I had back surgery in April, and thought I was doing ok for a few weeks, then the pain came back almost like I never had the surgery at all!
    I have to go in for another MRI on Thursday, and I am scared to death! This would be my fourth back surgery and I do not want it!
    Please keep me in your prayers that it is something like horrible arthritis, which I already do have in my back, at least I won't have to go through that again. I am afraid my spine is falling apart!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Love to you all,
    Jane
  2. huska

huska New Member

YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS FOR SURE.
    PLEASE KEEP ME (US) POSTED.

(((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))
    OLGA
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

I'm so sorry you have pain again after your last surgery! Poor thing...

Let's hope it is something other than more surgery, oK? Try not to get too stressed out overr it, you know it will just make the pain even worse.

Do you have any p.t. that is recommended for your back? Hot tubs, warm pool, TENS unit, etc?

I take Osteo Bi-Flex for my arthritic neck...it is wonderful! Over the past year, it keeps me almost free of neck pain...better than ibuprofen for me!

I'v heard it rejuvenates the cartilage for better cushioning in all the joints.

Will pray you have good findings...maybe the surgery has you tensed up and the muscles are causing the pain..

There's always hope!
    findmind
  4. janie056

janie056 New Member

I had a call from my neurosurgeon yesterday about the MRI, not good!!
    I have nothing in place of the L-5 - S-1 area but a bunch of crumbling disk! He was hoping that the surgery in April where he removed some disk, bone, and scar tissue would give me releif for quite some time, but it didn't.
    He wants to do a spinal fusion, he does minimally invasive spinal fusions, which still is scaring me to death!
    I don't know what to do, think or say. I just can't think about another surgery so soon after the last one!
    Has anyone had this type of surgery? Please help, I am so stressed I can't even think.

Thanks,
    Jane
  5. janie056

janie056 New Member

Anyone at all out there who may have had this procedure?

I need to talk to someone!

Thanks,
    Jane
  6. winsomme

winsomme New Member

i know nothing about this surgery, but maybe it is worth getting a second opinion.

just a thought. maybe it would help you feel a little better about having the procedure.

thanks
    bill
  7. janie056

janie056 New Member

I've had second opions, and actually the first surgeon I went to prior to my surgery in April wanted to do the fusion, that's when I went to another neurosurgeon our family has dealt with in the past. I really feel comfortable with him, I just did not think I would have to face another surgery, and this soon as well!
    I'm stressing to the max and feel horrible, and I live in CT and am flying out to NV to help my daughter next week to drive home. She married someone in the Airforce and he now wants to make this his career and she can't take it so they are getting a divorce! She has no one else to help her get home, and I can't let her and my grandson drive home alone, I would feel horrible. They are making me a little place to lay down in the back when I need to!
    My life is just upside down right now!
    My husband said little if anything yesterday when I told him, he really is not the supportive type when it comes to illness. His answer to everything is "Shake it off" IT MAKES ME NUTZZZZZZZ.
    Well once again, thanks for letting me vent, and rant.

Love to you,
    Jane
  8. janie056

janie056 New Member

bumping, need to find someone who may have had this surgery to talk to.

Jane
  9. janie056

janie056 New Member

I know some of you have had low back surgery and no one can answer.
    I'm a little upset that people can answer about a show on TV or red wine and weight issues.
    I have a real fear and need some freinds here, please.
  10. 143alan

143alan New Member

I am so sorry about your back. Unfortunately I'm facing the very same surgery. I'm scared to death too so I don't know that I can offer a lot of help or encouragement.

We can find out things together and share information..OK!!
    I have to have a spinal fusion surgery to remove L2-3, L3-4 and L4-5. I have learned that single level disc is not that bad but the risk factors and % of full recovery reduce as the # of levels increase.

I know 3 people who had some bone taken from their hip to use in the compound for their fusion material that replaced the disc that was removed. They had horrible results and more pain from the surgery to the hip to remove the bone. I've heard this is the worse type to have and most Drs. don't harvest the bone from the hip anymore.

A co-workers' daughter is having the same surgery but her dr is going in through her abdomen and then after removing the disc and putting in the wafer puts a plate in. Not quite sure about that one. I read some case studies on it and it's the latest type of back surgery. I don't think you can have this kind of surgery if it's more than 1 disc involved. The recover time was great for this one though, about 3-5 weeks. She's a school teacher and she's having the surgery over Thanksgiving break and the Dr. told her she would be back to work after the Christmas break.

I go back to my Dr. 11/28. I've been putting off my surgery for 3 years and now have so many problems because of it. I'm at the point where I'm tired of being in pain and don't want any more damage to be done than already has.

The disc that you need surgery one often affects your bladder or bowels. I know people who could not control their bowels because they put off that surgery.

Not sure I helped much but please respond and lets talk some more. What kind of back surgeries have you already had done?

Please take care and know that I will be praying for you.
    I'm scared too so I know what you're going through.
    Take Care
    Nancy