Another newbie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LanaJ, Oct 26, 2002.

1. LanaJ

LanaJ New Member

Hi. I've been reading the posts here for about 2 weeks and have gotten a lot of info that I plan on talking to my dr(s) about.
    Two years ago I hurt my neck at work and, even though I had some problems off and on before from 2 whiplash type car accidents, everything got worse. It was 9 months before an orthopedist suspected a disc problem after viewing my original neck e-rays. A MRI confirmed it and I went through all the conventional treatments. Meanwhile, I was having a LOT of aches and pain, not just in my neck, but was getting new ones all over all the time. My PCP thinks I have fibro, and from the way I feel, I am really starting to think he is right. I did have disc surgery the end of May, but just am not getting the old me back - no energy, endurance, strength, etc. I do have osteoarthritis in my back.
    I'm going to try to not let it get me down, eventhough I get tired of being tired and hurting. My oldest son is getting married next May and I plan on doing all I can to be able to enjoy it. Can't wait till you get the diet board going. I need to lose about 50 lbs at least. I know I can do it with support. About 2 years ago I did the Sugar Buster diet and lost 20 in 6 weeks and felt really good - then I started cheating, and the rest is history.
    Anyway, thanks to the moderators for putting their time into this. We all need encouragement.

2. LanaJ

LanaJ New Member

Hi. I've been reading the posts here for about 2 weeks and have gotten a lot of info that I plan on talking to my dr(s) about.
    Two years ago I hurt my neck at work and, even though I had some problems off and on before from 2 whiplash type car accidents, everything got worse. It was 9 months before an orthopedist suspected a disc problem after viewing my original neck e-rays. A MRI confirmed it and I went through all the conventional treatments. Meanwhile, I was having a LOT of aches and pain, not just in my neck, but was getting new ones all over all the time. My PCP thinks I have fibro, and from the way I feel, I am really starting to think he is right. I did have disc surgery the end of May, but just am not getting the old me back - no energy, endurance, strength, etc. I do have osteoarthritis in my back.
    I'm going to try to not let it get me down, eventhough I get tired of being tired and hurting. My oldest son is getting married next May and I plan on doing all I can to be able to enjoy it. Can't wait till you get the diet board going. I need to lose about 50 lbs at least. I know I can do it with support. About 2 years ago I did the Sugar Buster diet and lost 20 in 6 weeks and felt really good - then I started cheating, and the rest is history.
    Anyway, thanks to the moderators for putting their time into this. We all need encouragement.

3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It sounds like you have a positive attitude and that will go a long way toward helping you deal with this illness. I hope you find lots of info here.
    I found the no sugar diet really hard to stick to, and after losing 46 lbs.on it, I gained back 54. But, now I'm on a plan where I have eliminated ALL foods that raise blood sugar, not just sugar, but all bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, juices, jam, carrots, corn and beets. I am finding this almost easy to do because there is no huge rise in blood sugar after eating, therefore there is no big increase in insulin (which leads to extreme hunger all over again). I've been on it a month and lost 15 lbs. so far. I know you can do it too. Best wishes,
    Klutzo
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

So nice to meet you! I am fairly new here too, and have found it a great source of information and support. Sounds like you are taking control, and being your own advocate. Welcome--and Best Wishes,
    Karen
  5. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

Figuring out what IS wrong(and as you know, it can be more than one problem!) and then who can help you deal with it is a major chapter in one's life story. For many of us, everything is either BEFORE Fibro and AFTER Fibro...I don't mean that in a morbid sense. The mood on this site is both upbeat and very, very honest. You're in good company! Al
  6. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

Welcome Lana! I am fairly new myself. This is a great place!
    Hugs,
    Duff
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Welcome....put your seatbelt on and enjoy the ride~~~it can get bumpy at times, but I love it here! Lots of support and many boards for many needs. Prayer on Thursday nights on the worship board (and any other time), chitchat on the chitchat board, chatroom for talk...this is just too busy for me, though....I love this board the best! I can't read fast enough for the chatroom!
    Love and empathy,
    Kady
  8. I am a fairly new newbie too! Sorry you have fibro but good you found this place!!!
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Welcome! I, too, have cervical disc problems. My neck pain is better after a couple of rounds of injections, but definitely the FM/CFS was there before & after my neck issues. You will find this is a great place, I, too, have gotten a wealth of good information and support. I think we all feel better with knowledge & encouragement from others. You have a positive attitude & that can go a long way. Good luck with your diet & hope you feel better!

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Welcome. You'll get as much from this site as you may need or want. Interesting site.

Hope you are pain-free by the time of the wedding.
    Soft hugs (as hugs can be painful at times we know).
  11. JP

JP New Member

Hi Lana,

Welcome...and I certainly hope that you do not have FMS, and if so, this is a great place for information, support and self-discovery.

As for the weight loss, I find that following the weight watcher plan works well for me because it is similar to the foods I had as a child. I use it everyday as a measure for moderation and healthy meal preparation. I really enjoy sweets and if I give them up completely, it is counterproductive to my efforts. I make and or buy low sugar, low fat types of sweets. My metabolism is a mess due to thyroid disease. I eat about 6 times a day and avoid filling myself. I see food as fuel and try to listen to what my body needs. I grow some of my food and herbs, just for the fun and health of it. I avoid most supplements. They seem to cause me more harm than good. I pay attention to what I am eating so I can obtain the vitamins and minerals that I believe that I need.

I also started a weekly support of 3 other good positive friends. We all prepare and bring a portion of a dinner meal and share the recipes. The food we prepare is low fat, low sugar types of foods.

You will do great with your goal! Keep it in front of you a day at a time. Remember each new moment/day is a new opportunity to choose again. Keep coming back for support. It makes a world of difference.

Take care,
    Jan

12. LanaJ

LanaJ New Member

Whatever is going on with me, I'll learn to live with it, like ir or not. I'm thankful for what I am still able to do, since I can always look around me and find someone a whole lot worse off. I think a person's atttitude makes a difference.

Lana
  13. KellynZ

KellynZ New Member

Hi Lana
    I am new here too - and have found this to be a very upbeat board and a good source of information. The chat room is fun too -
    Kellyn
  14. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Laura, welcome to the board. Glad you have found us.

Lots of information here, and many great people too. Hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]