Another newcomer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tigger5, Nov 26, 2005.

1. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

What a wonderful sight! I have not been officially diagnosed with anything yet but have gotten sick enough that I can barely work and am having to finally admit that I need help (which is hard for a very independent single mother)...so I've begun some research before I blindly reach out. Based on the symptom list I believeI may both CFIDS and FMS and I think I've been struggling with them for about at least 15 years. The only symptom I don't see listed is hair loss? I've been losing it for about a year now and am starting to be concerned about it. Anybody else have this problem?

Does anyone have a doctor to recommend in Eastern Washington? I really prefer the alternative route and am really hesitant to start taking a bunch of manufactured drugs...I just think they do more harm than good. What is the "FFC" that some of the posts here talk about?

Also...I feel like I'm in a catch 22 situation. I don't have insurance (I had to go part-time 2 years ago due to illness and lost it) and am unable to afford a bunch of Dr visits and tests. Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone?
  2. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i'm relatively new here as well; about 2 weeks or so. but i'll tell you, it sure is wonderful to be here!

sorry about your situation. i too, am divorced & single mom of one son. the more you delve into this site the more questions i have....guess it's a 'symptom' of being new here!

i don't have any philosophically correct response or a solid medically correct response to your questions. i just believe in supporting one another and becoming much more aware and educated about cfs and fibromyalgia (was diagnosed w/fibro in summer).

so welcome to you!
  3. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

read the new 'glucosomine' posts here...glucosomine is harmless to boot (according to my md who uses it)
  4. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

Thanks for the welcome...

Glucosamine...I've always wondered about it and how it worked but figured it was only for "old" people and I wouldn't need it for awhile :)
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I don't know any doctors in your neck of the woods, but I surely am glad you found us so we can get to know you.

There are people who know all about alternative medicines but I'm not one of them. The hair loss might be a result of a low thyroid level...that's one possibility.

Anyway, hope you find out lots of answers here and can find a doctor to help. That is a great challenge for all of us.

Welcome again!

Sue
  6. maripat

maripat New Member

Can't help with a doc. sorry. But when i read your profile i saw you like huckleberries. had a huck pie for thanksgiving we live in montana so we have a lot of huckleberries here. I also have not been albe to get insurance. At $70 or more for a doc visit and labs are usually $75 to $200 I just can't afford to go. I already spend $300 a monthe for Rx.
    glad your here.
    maripat
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

WE have another Tigger on the board.Hope you find your doctor.Linda
  8. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Tigger5,

Wish you luck in finding good doc in your area. I know that some docs are really understanding when you don't have insurance... and will give med samples until you can get scripts filled. Maybe if you ask around you can locate a good primary doc that does this!

MamaR