Another night of no sleep!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Molly B, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Molly B

Molly B New Member

4 nights in a row. Toss and turn, only to wake up in pain.

I bought a sleep number bed a while back. 3rd bed so far since chronic pain and fibro took over my life. Worked great at first, not so great now. I think I actually avoid going to bed...hmmm
    Trying so hard to not to have a Pity Party (which I'm apparently real good at, according to my worn out spouse)

Been taking Melatonin for over a year, but just read the bottle and says not to take daily for more than 2 months. Take a break for at least a week. (go figure...this is my week off).

Just needed to vent instead of watching the clock.

PITATOO Member

I think the sleep thin is the worst. I have FMS/CFIDS Osteoarthritis etc. I've had a fever the past few nights - not sure why - this is how my FMS/CFIDS first started 15 years ago - it scares me that I will incapacitated again. I have to do a weeks of classroom training in El Paso, I am from Youngstown Ohio, My flight is at 6am. Had to get up at 2am to make this flight - feel like I could die. Trazadone does help with my sleep, but I have to take a break for a week or so otherwise it quits working, remeron helps but I put on 40 lbs with it. Melatonin and valiarian is like taking candy - does nothing. Tried ambien, lunest, SOma works but only for about 4 hours and it can be quite addictive. But if you don't sleep you get worse and worse. Just missing one nights sleep makes me hurt twice as bad and I get very emotional.

We all need to vent. No one really understand unless they have FMS/CFIDS. Even my therapist really does not get it. I took me 3 days to pack my luggage for this trip. I can only do a little at a time. Thank goodness I can still work - I would lose my mind if I could not - but this traveling is awful - I dont' have to work until Monday - so I leave two days early to recoupe from the flilght, at least my company pays for First class tickets, I am a big guy, 6' 3" and 240 lbs so if I don't get first class it is horrible.

I am so tired right now. I get into El Paso at 12:44 pm Mountain Time and was going to sit by the pool but I won't be able to do that with a fever.

Hope you get some sleep soon. Bobby
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

when all else fails 100mg of seroquel and 150mg of lyrica knock me out into a deep sleep for quite awhile, small hangover for an hour or 2 then im fine, otherwise 15mg avanza with 25mg baclofen and 1 zopiclone.

4. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I am up until anywhere from 1:30 to 5:00 A.M. Then I either tose and turn, if I do go to sleep I either don'e wake til near noon or I am awake again about 6:30.

In the past 72 hours I have had about 6 hours sleep.
  5. simonedb

simonedb Member

put 30# on me over a summer too pitapoo (forgot how u spell yr name sorry if slaughtered it)
    I was only taking a fraction of a tab too and dont think I really ate much more but blew up, did something to metabolism.

I use benadryl most of time now to try to sleep but i think it is also making it harder to keep weight off. the benzos work but worse hangover than benadryl if do regularly, plus afraid to do regularly. maybe will try trazadone again. most stuff hasnt worked for me, tried a lot of stuff y'all mentioned, except seroquel, that could be interesting. the fibro sleep drug sounds interesting but tricky and expensive, whats it called sodium something,its featured in another thread now.
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

the thing with meds like remeron/avanza and other meds that make people put on weight is not to use them every night but intermittently and this helps reduce side effects and keeps the med working for sleep. Other nights use a benzo or zopiclone or zolpidem etc. Using different meds all the time is what has been helping me with sleep for awhile now and on occassionally have bad nights, touch wood.

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

People with CFS and/or FM "don't feel much better the next day when we get to bed at 10 pm". That is what differentiates us from people without CFS and FM.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Yes, sleep issues are a classic issue/symptom with FM. People that dont have it, don't get it. I've gone on about 10 hrs of sleep in a 72 hr hour period and let me tell ya it's tough. My pain is so much worse when you don't get enough sleep.

Last Sat. I was up all night long. Not one minute of sleep. I sleep on the couch now because I am up and down so much that I don't want to wake up husband. The couch actually supports my back as well.

Most mornings, my husband comes down and his first words are "oh no, did you sleep at all?" I wake up between 3:00 and 3:30 most mornings and usually don't fall asleep until midnight or so. I have to work so the days are very long. I do fall asleep sitting up very often for a few minutes, sometimes a half hour during the evening. The fatigue is horrible!!

It seems like the weekends are meant for crashing. I try to nap. Sometimes I do get in a good two hour nap which is absolute heaven. Sometimes I could sleep all day and do. I feel like I'm trading a day of life for a day of sleep which makes me mad truthfully.

Vent away, many of us feel the same! It's beyond frustrating. Either waking up with pain or just waking up or being unable to fall asleep certainly doesn't help in the way we feel during the day!

9. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

After almost 3 days with 3 hours sleep I took a 3 hour nap at 7:30 this evening, now I hurt and I am wide awake again. Hate this.
  10. simonedb

simonedb Member

have you taken like a whole benadryl? it sucks but it works
  11. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I have such a tolerance for meds I could take 4 benedryl and not sleep.
  12. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I wish !!!
    Sleep is a real problem for me.I have been sleeping on the couch for about 2 years now and although I am more comfortable than in bed, sleep still eludes me!!

It is hard to explain to people that you can be awake all night when you have fibro....cos they will say...Oh I had a bad night last week etc.

Thay have no idea what it is like for us because it causes more pain and means that we cant funtion at all next day and have to try to nap(which can be impossible too).

Tired But Wired ...thats me!I hate it but dont want sleeping tablets as they are addictive for me.

13. Molly B

Molly B New Member

I just dont want any more of them in my body. Plus my pain mgmnt doc won't put me on anything else.
    Tonight I do feel like sleep will come :)
  14. Molly B

Molly B New Member

A good anti gravity chair sounds like a great idea. I'm gonna check into it. THX!
  15. Molly B

Molly B New Member

the next day is hardly ever great.

Let's persevere!
  16. Molly B

Molly B New Member

I wasn't too right in the head when I took sleeping pills. LOL! Lesson learned.

Yes, sleep seems to be quite an issue for us all.

It's 1 a.m. my time, so time to sign off.

Hope you get some good ZZZzzz's.
  17. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

It is now 3:32, no sleep and I am beat.
  18. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Have you had your cortisol levels checked? If they are high when they should be low, this can cause severe insomnia. This is also very common in people w/CFS.

There is a saliva test called teh Adrenal Stress Index Test which measures you cortisol levels throughout the day and into the evening. I had it done several years ago and it was extremely helpful. I had had severe middle of the night insomnia, nothing would help, and the test showed I had high cortisol at night which was causing this. I started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine - non-prescription) and it helped almost immediately. I had to take it for several months but eventually my cortisol levels normalized. I think if I hadn't addrssed this issue, nothing would have helped me sleep. I also found it was very important that I take the Seriphos in the morning, not at night, although it didn't make me sleepy in the morning. And it took a little while to get the dose right. But I had no bad side effects taking it in the morning, and I'm very sensitive to meds. It also made me calmer.

Any doctor can order the test, or a naturopath. The first time I had it done was through Clymer Healing Research in Pennslyvania - they're on-line. We did everything via phone, e-mail and snail mail.

19. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I take 25 mg of Elevil but was told I can take 50 mg and 2-3 Ibuprofen. I take this 3 hours before sleep.

Over the years it was another anti-depressant and melatonin.

Even if it is a psychological thing with me, it works.

I also have my 17 mo. old grandson during the day and that wipes me out.

When I was first dx'd in the late 80's I didn't know I wasn't sleeping well. The Dr. said it was like having one foot out of the bed at night. That's the first symptom they address, sleep is so important.
  20. Molly B

Molly B New Member

Never heard of this test. I know my primary doctor won't order it, but maybe my endocrinologist will.

THX mbofov "Mary" !!!