Another ? on VITAMIN D... Sublingual Tabs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Jul 10, 2008.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Can we stand one more thread on Vitamin D???

Well here I am, day after finding out my D levels are 'deficient'...

Instead of just taking my lil yellow colored tabs that I have, I am going where no woman has gone before...;)

Being that I have a fat malabsorption problem and vitamin D is fat soluble, how on earth am I going to get my D through my poorly broken down liver to where it needs to be...

Got an idea?

Sublingual...Dissolving under the tongue, just like all my other remedies...

Started looking into it and it makes perfect sense to me to avoid the liver phase effect and goes directly into the bloodstream and dispersed properly...Maybe?

Now the tough questions...

What dose? Where to get good quality for a good price? And how to avoid all the goodies they add like bha,bht and propylene glycol...I sure don't want to add anti-freeze with my D...That's counter-productive...

I have read all I am going to read on the subject today and thought who better to ask than all of you lovely knowledgeable people (have you noticed that I am buttering you up for info)

Any input would be appreciated...I know JB and Andrew brought up the malabsorption issue too but now that I have proven that it is real for me through the CDSA, I cannot very well ignore it and go taking supplements that aren't going to benefit me...I need to do things correctly from here on out, no more mistakes...Can't afford them, come too darn far...

Thanks in advance for any ideas~MamaDove
  2. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I was leaning toward Solaray...

Will wait and see what others have to say...Likely not much since we seem to be one of a small bunch of D worshippers :)

Thanks again hon for the very quick reply as always!!!
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes, we can stand another D thread! lol It's very important.

I've found that if I bite into a capsule and squeeze out approx. 1/2, it works well for me. Tastes awful but oh, well. Take it with food.

I began with 1,000 after the prescription dose of 50,000 IU but had to cut back. Even 400 IU daily was too much, thus the biting and squeezing.

The lengths we go to......

4. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

years ago, I saw an integrative doctor. I didn't care for her much but she gave me some good ideas.

She told me to take all of my fat soluble supplements at night before bedtime and to take them all together. She said the liver works at night so these supplements are most effective when the liver is working.

This includes milk thistle and other liver protecting supplements. I don't if that's true but I have done that for years.

Another thought - I take digestive enzymes (prescription) and they contain lipase which is a fat metabolizer/dissolver. I have seen formulas that are just lipase, could you take that with your fat soluble supplements to help break them down so the body can absorb them? (Like taking acid supplement, betaine, before taking minerals).

Our bodies need fat - the good fats so this is an important deficiency to look into as well.

Just a thought.
  5. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Great info everyone...

I am considering pancreatic enzymes (lipase) so that just may help with my problem...I so need to address the Fat malabsorption issue, I believe that is MY only problem, if I fix that, I have it licked ;)

Yes, I did see Shellys post...Can't recall which D test was done tho, was it the D25 hydroxy, have to go look... My D25 hydroxy was the low one, the other was acceptable...Good thing I didn't listen to my doc and learned online about the difference...My doc was miffed with the results, nothing new ;)

I have lots more work to do but at least I began my multi and my usual D yesterday...My legs are much stronger today, noone can tell me we don't benefit from certain vitamin intakes...I gotta have my 'D'!

Thanks everyone, let you know what I decide and how it goes.