Another question about cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DVoit, Sep 26, 2005.

1. DVoit

DVoit New Member

Hi. I haven't been online for a while. I have had a terrible bought with a chest cold.

Need advise. If I am doing pretty okay on effexor xl do you think I should switch to cmybalta? I am so afraid of new medicines. It looks like cymbalta has many side affects. What scares me is when I started taking wellbutrin I became hysterical about the fifth day. I was so scared. I just have a big fear of taking new drugs. Once I do and I don't die, I am fairly okay. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Donna
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I know it helps me both as an antidepressant & with my FM pain. I haven't had any side effects from this one.

I do know there are others that do not like it. I would just talk to my doc if I were you - it is spendy.

Hope ya have a great day!

Kelly
  3. dakotasweett

dakotasweett New Member

I have been taking Cymbalta for about 3 months. It hasn't helped my pain, but has helped me sleep a little better. I also haven't had any side effects. If the effexor is helping enough (and that is totally a personal decision) I would probably stick with it...personally I wouldn't change a med that was working for me. I just wouldn't want to risk feeling worse (although that also means I can't take the chace of feeling better). But you should definetly talk to your doctor, they can better advise you on the pros and cons of trying something new.

Hugs,
    Vanessa
  4. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

Cymbalta is supposed to help more with pain than Effexor. I too did not have any bad side effects when I started Cymbalta, just a little dizzines and nausea.

I continued taking small doses of my other antidepressant when I started Cymbalta to prevent anxiety. I gradually stopped the other and now take Cymbalta only. I have been on it since it first came out.
  5. DVoit

DVoit New Member

Thanks for your imput.

Do you who are one Cymbalta now for a while think it is helping the FM in addition to depression? This website is so valuable for help. Thanks again.

Donna
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

For me, I have noticed a slight decrease in the everyday type of pain. It also helps, a little, with the bad fibro days.

Sometimes I don't notice the changes, due to battling with chronic fatigue for the last several months.

All drugs have basically the same side effects. I have noticed nothing.

Cymbalta did fatigue me if taken in the mornings, and made me dream like crazy at bedtime. I take it early evening and it works well. It has helped with low level depression, too.

Good luck,

Kim
  7. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

I started 60 mgs a month or so ago... dont notice any difference yet as far as FM pain.

Do have peroids every day of excess sweating, and I do believe it makes me a little hyper, hard to sleep. And I take it in the am.

Called rhumy about this and she wants me to keep taking it.
    I use to take lexapro, which did not help me at all.

Still take Elival 50 mg at night along with soma three times a day and sonata, sleeping pill.

rrsbaby