Another Question about SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1975jet, Jul 14, 2006.

1. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi all, I finally had applied for my first time in June-
    I had my first appt. where they ask you more specifics-
    Today I received a questionaire page about all my activities and how everything affects this, that and all.

I kinda of looked at it- I feel a little confused about how to answer the questions- I wish someone could video tape a normal day and let them see it.

Any suggestions would be wonderful- I would have my DH help but his mind is worse than mine is-

The questions are like what is your day like from time you get up, etc... About shopping, money, - there are days I can funtion some and that is when I try and get some things done mentally and physically but I can only give it so long..

Please any advise would help- I am lost.

thank you guys
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

1975Jet:

I Would say as lttle as possible. Say very litte on their forms, but you have more time to 'craft it' (if you know what I mean.

nyrofan
  3. TAM

TAM New Member

HI,

I would explain how much pain your in daily, that's important.
    And explain how you don't get out much to run errands because you feel to bad or if you stay gone for long periods of time it increases your pain.

If you don't shop much which i doubt you do (who feels like it of coarse most of us would love to shop for a few hours but you just can't anymore not with 24/7 pain).

If it takes you awile to do housework or if you are no longer able to do housework anymore its very important to let them know everything.

Alot of times AS WE ALL KNOW people who don't suffer the same type of pain as you don't understand they can't comprehend the extent of our pain.

So if i were you i would make sure that i explained exactly how i feel try to list all your symptoms and let them know that your life is nothing like it used to be explain how things have changed for you since you have become ill and how you are unable to do most things anymore.

Good luck to you, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

TAKE CARE, TAMMY
  4. jvrealty

jvrealty New Member

Hello
    Describe your worst day and your worst days are every single day. Do not give too much information on what you are doing to help yourself because they will use this against you. Stick with the worst case scenario and stay focused on this.

hope this helps

jv
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

ou write like it is your worst day ever...like you used to be able to cook 3 course meals but now you have resorted to microwave meals, fresh fruits and veggies protein shakes or bars...

hurts to stand on your feet...just throwing out some ideas...

have someone else take the groceries in the home and put them in the car for you...

if you are married or have someon else living with you they can say they do it for you as well..

my ex husband wrote in my behalf...he liked telling them a was a crazy person.lol can't do my laundry or carry the basket son does it.,.stuff like that..

jodie
  6. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

Jet,

If you say you eat fast food make sure to note that someone else has to bring it to you.

Be careful of the questions. They will ask the same questions more than once but they have different wording. When you get to question 10 or so (arbitrary number) look back and see if this has already been asked and keep your answers the same but maybe worded differently the same as they do.

You can't hold your blow dryer up for a long enough to dry your hair or to roll your hair, can you? So you have to let your hair dry naturally and that affects your appearance, right? For that matter you can't hold your arms up long enough to put on makeup, right? Keep everything consistant. If you have to go to a meeting or before the ALJ don't blow dry your hair or put on makeup.

Take your time. First answer your questions on a separate paper to make sure you answer consistently. Then ask someone else to fill out the questionnaire so you can say someone else had to fill it out.

Good luck.

Dee
  7. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

i read all your replys and I really appreciate the support.. I will give it my best - there are days when I can carry a jug of water and days it hurts my wrists so bad I can't- so I will go by my worst days which you all no are more - I will put my bottled up good days in the back of my mind...

I see my therapist on Tues. -I'll see if she can help me with some of the questions...this is just the beginning, I know and I already talked to an attorney.

I finally broke down and seen my old chiro- he told me my shoulders, neck and back were really bad shape- don't know how bad the damage is - can you use the notes from a chiro??? I cannot afford to get the tests done- no insurance for myself anymore.. My regular MD has alot of history on my mental abilities and some blood work and the pain which I started complaining about a few years back.

Sorry, so winded - I just need to talk to people that have been there.

Bless to you all-
    Janet
  8. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

bump bump- busy day today- I live in NY state and god is it humid today.... plus we had alot of rain- but I am bumping this- does anyone know if chiro can have say with SSDI - I just went to one last week- and he said my neck and all were in really bad shape....