Another question about SSR withdrawal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Jun 12, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

If you read my post from yesterday, you know I have stopped taken Effexor XR which I only took for 2 1/2 weeks and reacted HORRIBLY to it. I was trying to taper off 10 mg of Paxil which I've taken for years and not doing well doing that either.

I've decided to stop the Effexor and go back to my normal dose of Paxil.

My pain has really increased this afternoon, and I am wondering if it is from stopping the Effexor. I don't know if it was really helping with the pain or this is just a side effect of my poor brain's serotonin being so messed up.

Has anyone else experienced this - increased pain after stopping an SSRI? Going back on the Effexor is NOT an option as the mental side effects were not worth it.

Thank you,
    Julie
  2. place

place New Member

I kinda have lost track of the AD, but when I first started taking Nortriptyline, I'd say the 10 day, I forgot to take it. The next day I was in more pain then I have ever been in my life. It was all the same pain places but intensified! I think our bodies become efficent and dependent on the drugs. Good luck!
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Julie,

Increased pain is the primary symtom I have as I wean myself off Celexa. Incredible pain the likes of which I never had with CFS.

I suspect that you should have tapered off it more slowly because I've heard that Effexor is a tough one to quit even after a short time. Keep me posted, will you?

Good luck to you.

Marta
  4. starmom

starmom New Member

Do yourself a favor and google effexor withdrawal. It is one of hte toughest meds to withdraw from, can take MONTHS! Even ifyou were only on it a short time. And missing a dose sends you into withdrawal, horrible.

I took it for a while and suffered while taking it, and while coming off of it. Prozac, sometimes just a single dose, can be very effective while coming downoff of another SSRI. Prozac stays in your system longer than most of the other SSRI's, so it doesn't have as bad a withdrawal.

Good Luck!

Susie
  5. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I thought I was dying. The side effects of being on it were bad enough. I only took it for 3 weeks, but it took me 4 weeks to get off it. The whole time I was sick with fatigue, nausea, migraine, mailaise. I dont know how I made it into work at all.

Also, a warning... even if you do taper down very slowly.. when you take the last dose, you should be prepared for a rough week. To get the doses small enough was breaking open the XR capsules and counting out the tiny balls of medication. There are a couple hundred and I took about 25 on the last day.

I then had a week off work - uncontrollable sobbing. I literally cried all day for about 5 days. Just couldnt stop it. But I had researched it on the net, so I knew that it would pass. Just had to remind myself of that.

Be careful with the taper, dont do it too quickly, People with CFS have very sensitive CNS.

Take care
    Michelle
  6. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I was just reading these posts because I am on Effexor XR and have been for about 8 years.

I see my CRNP tomorrow for a med check and am going to talk to her about going OFF the drug!

Glad I have been informed as to what may happen if I choose to do this.

Think I'll google too!

Gentle Hugs,
    CockatooMom
    "E"
  7. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Yes, I have read that Effexor is the worst one to taper from, and Paxil is not much better. I hope you can call your doctor and maybe take something to help you deal with the added pain this has caused. Maybe a little Xanax to get you through this. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Laura
  8. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

And I forgot to mention that ever since I took the Effexor my sleep has been terrible. This was last September - I have not slept normally since then and I believe that this in part caused my relapse in Dec 05.

9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I can't take SSRI's, but I've been trying to wean off Wellbutrin for over a year. It took me that long to clue in that my pain rises whenever I lower it. I wasn't making the connection, because at first my w/drawal symptoms at the higher doses were always very obvious crushing fatigue. I'd be so glued to the couch that I din't move enough to need much painkiller. but as I got lower the fatigue side effect went away and I thought it would be smoother sailing.

I just didn't think a dopamine enhancing a.d. could do that. But it seems you can't tamper w/ any neurotransmitters w/out trouble. And we have a pain amplificaiton disorder and stress seems to aggravate it too. No one would argue its super stressful to come off an a.d. I've heard Effexor is one of the worst here many times.

Jeanne
  10. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

Hello Julie,

I was going to post a message re effexor withdrawals, and decided to do a search first. Good thing I did.

I took Effexor many years ago, and stopped, but can not remember how I felt then, but this time has been no joy ride!

Severe exhaution and fatigue, sometimes no sleep at all. Maybe my message should be changed since you sleep when you have nightmares! I have headaches all the time. Pain has worsen. I feel like a Zombie most of the time.

I thought we are suppose to wean off meds. I was taking 150mg, and doc did not have me wean off the effex? I was taking Lyrica as well, and needed to stop due to adverse effects. He had me wean off that one? He put me on Cymybalta, so not sure if this was suppose to help with the effexor withdrawals?

At least I know that I am not going crazy, and that I am not alone. What an awful feeling!

By the way, I wonder if one rides it out?

Sincerely
    Chungiedolor
  11. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

You haven't posted in a couple of weeks and knowing how hard this effexor rehab thing can be, I'm concerned to hear how you are.

Drop us a line, just a word or two, would you, hon?

I'm still trying to get off the last of this horrible drug...can't quite face the suffering of stopping it altogether, though with the help of amino acids I'm down to 35mgs, thank goodness.

When I am feeling a little stronger, I'll stop taking it altogether and, as my doctor says, "try to tough it out" for the weeks it will take to stop feeling so sick.

Best to you all - hang in there!

Roseblossom
  12. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I'm so sorry you're feeling horrible. I am amazed your dr didn't tell you what it'd be like if you don't wean slowly from effexor.

Have you called the dr's office to tell them how awful you feel? They might have some ideas, or at least an explanation...

Also, someone here recommended a good website called crazymeds.org.

Roseblossom
  13. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I am OK but barely. I haven't been here as the withdrawal has been hell and it's hard for me to concentrate on the computer. The awful thing is now my Paxil is affecting me the same as the effexor did, and I am going to have to probably wean off of it too. So, I am probably in for another withdrawal. But I plan on doing it much more slowly than I did the Effexor. But I know I can't stay on the Paxil, as every time I take it now, within an hour I am having a panic attack and having to take xanax. Thank God for Xanax! It's like my brain is just saying it is sick and tired of these AD's. Paxil has never affected me like this before, but the Effexor incicent seems to have really changed my brain chemistry.

Thank you for thinking about me. I'll be OK, I'm just having a hard time sitting in front of the computer.

The really, REALLY weird thing is that my pain level has been LOWER through all of this. It makes me wonder how much taking Paxil over all these years has actually CAUSED my pain. Maybe it will be a blessing to be off of all this crap.

I have an aunt who is brilliant and has a TON of knowledge about these drugs (WAY, WAY more than the doctors - she has worked on psych units and seen patients go through this) who is helping me through this every day. Talking to her every day has probably kept me out of the hospital.

I also have had a lot of help around the house and with the kids PRAISE GOD, or I probably would be on the psych unit.

I hate these damn drugs!!!! And I am NOT anti-drug! But these SSRIs are awful. :(
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2006]
  14. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

For your response. I have been so out of it that it never occurred to me to call my Doc. Doc appeared to be a little miffed at the last appt since the lyrica did not help me. Maybe, he was disappointed as much as I was. I normally ask these type of questions at my appointments, but brain cells have deterioated. I did call and leave a message today.

I am just so tired and exhausted, and tired of being sick. I have started to see a counselor. In addition to suffering this dd, adverse effects, I also have non-compassionate and non supportive sisters.

I am not sure what has hurt me more! But I appreciate your response. We are all fortunate to have this message board.

We can stand on our heads and the non-believers will never get it! Milkie is right, we need to take care of ourselves, because it only hurts us in the end. I hope to be able to regain my strength, so that negative comments go through one ear and out the other! But I hate these withdrawals!
    Thanks for listening!

Sincerely
    Chungiedolor

15. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I hear you guys - it is horrid. Keep repeating to yourself that it's temporary, that you will feel better eventually.

And remember that every day that goes by, a little more of that bad drug residue seeps away.

Drugs can be a wonderful tool; they just have to be used so so carefully. And we have such a heightened sensitivity to them, which many doctors don't seem to understand.

I know that just suffering this drug-related stuff is bad enough; and under that we're still dealing with all our CFIDS symptoms; and then add to that all the usual life-related stresses... Blergh!

(ChungiDolor - if you can avoid your unsupportive sisters that'd be good.)

Breathe deep and be very gentle with yourselves. Hang in there.

Roseblossom