Another Question-Anyone have pitting edema?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Sep 21, 2002.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

By pitting edema I mean the type of swelling that you poke your leg and leave a deep impression. I can actually feel the fluid under my skin. Anyone remember those Stretch Armstrong dolls? They were made of some sort of material like a mushy hard rubber, that is what my leg feels like mushy hard rubber. It is weird! Anyone else? Or anyone know possibly why?

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  2. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

By pitting edema I mean the type of swelling that you poke your leg and leave a deep impression. I can actually feel the fluid under my skin. Anyone remember those Stretch Armstrong dolls? They were made of some sort of material like a mushy hard rubber, that is what my leg feels like mushy hard rubber. It is weird! Anyone else? Or anyone know possibly why?

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  3. Pixie_Dupree

Pixie_Dupree New Member

Good Morning Teresa...

I have had the same thing that you are talking about...
    It is only in my left ankle and leg...it stops just below my knee...I've noticed that it happens when I've been on my feet allot in a day...but why it's not both leg's I don't know...

It doesn't hurt...
    I did show 2 of my doctor's...one thing I always try and remember is that all of my doctor's know as much as I do about fibromyalgia...some of them have admitted that through my research I know more then they do...as it is right now I'm telling my doctor what I want to try for treatments,and with his supervision I am...I wish at times I had something to fall back on that said,"this is the way you do this",but,I have to realize that we are the one's that are writing the "cure" so to speak...we are the pioneer's...

For 7 year's I have told my docotor's that I think that fibromyalgia is some kind of an infection,because I always have pus in my eye's...through out the day...I can always wipe my eye's...I can taste it...like when you have a sinus infection...but...nothing was done...now...all these years later it's being studied that fibromyalgia,cfs,and gulf war illness are all interliked...so...in time I am sure that there will be an answer to all of the question's...

If you remember back 7 years ago the big thing to treat fibromyalgia was to give antidepressants to raise the seritonin levels in our brain...well...come to find out that wasn't meant to help the fibromyalgia...seritonin is the "well being" chemical that our brain produces...so in my opinion the doctor's gave me antidepressants to make my brain feel good so I wouldn't care about the pain...the only thing they didn't think about was that I waasn't depressed,and the antidepressant had an adverse effect...I sat in bed and cried all day...until I figured out it was the antidepressant that was making me sad...it took me 4 months to get off that drug(PAXIL)...and they said that Paxil wasn't addictive,well I beg to differ...for me it was...

Boy...did I ever get off on a run here...I hope you don't think I'm a weirdo...THESE ARE JUST MY OPINION'S...they're thing's that have happened to me during my treatment of fibromyalgia...so,there's no data anywhere on what I just talked about...

I will never give up,and I will never give in to this disease...I will keep looking,and talking to other's like myself...and I know that together we will find the answer...

Thanks for taking the time to read this very long post...
    sending you gentle hugs and angel kisses...
    Your New Friend...Pixie Dupree ;-)
  4. mvock

mvock New Member

Hi Teresa:

This is either amazing or creepy. Ive been awake a good part of the night thinking (worrying) about how bad my legs and ankles are swollen tonight. No kidding! I came to this board and plugged in the search word "edema" to see if someone could give me some insight.
    My legs are always as you describe..rubbery, but this past week my ankles just won't go down. I'm drinking glasses and glasses of water and elevating my legs. What else is there?
    Maybe someone will have some ideas for us. If not, at least we aren't alone!

Take care,

Mark
    [This Message was Edited on 09/22/2002]
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I have been on a diuretic for more than 20 years now and I'm only 27! In spite of this, after I've been on my feet all day (I'm a nurse) I come home and my legs look like tree trunks all the way down. I do not urinate AT ALL during the workday...I have no urge to in spite of the massive amounts of water I drink now that I've stopped the diet drinks. However, when I come home and elevate my legs higher than my heart, I get the urge to go to the bathroom after about 20 minutes and then I go often. The pitting edema is a symptom that all is not well. Are you eating a lot of salt? Watch out for soups and read all the labels because a lot of foods have hidden sodium and can really cause the edema. In my case, the pitting edema is from renal insufficiency and my entire cardiovascular-renal system is out-of-whack. Sitting down is even worse than standing for me; the ONLY treatment for me is: low salt diet, bedrest, less fluids during a crisis, diuretics, adequate protein in my diet and plenty of vitamins.
    I hope you'll be able to use some of this info. to alleviate your edema!
    Love,
    Kady