Another Question - Flushing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Oct 6, 2002.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

When I have immune reactions after eating foods, taking meds, etc. I have severe facial flushing and throat/gland swelling. My doctor calls this mast cell activation which I now pretty much understand, but was wondering if this is common????
  2. TerriM

TerriM New Member

When I have immune reactions after eating foods, taking meds, etc. I have severe facial flushing and throat/gland swelling. My doctor calls this mast cell activation which I now pretty much understand, but was wondering if this is common????
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It was thought for awhile that I had a rare form of cancer called Carcinoid Syndrome because my whole body would flush and swell up a bit, sometimes for days, accompanied by diarreha. My face still flushes, but not as much since I started taking a drug for my high blood pressure that also suppresses the sympathetic nervous system (Catapres). I did research on this and asked my doc if I could try it. It is an older drug and MUCH cheaper than the new BP drugs.
    I've also noticed a possible connection between eating a lot of acid foods like citrus and tomatoes and coffee or soda and having this flushing. Try eliminating them for a bit and see if it helps. If it is allergic, rather than neurological, you might try a Quercetin supplement, or mixed bioflavonoids with vitamin C and stinging nettles and see if that helps.
    Klutzo