Another Question, Hysterectomy and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DonnaTerr, Aug 9, 2005.

1. DonnaTerr

DonnaTerr New Member

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago , I have since spoken with a few other women, who also developed FMS or CFS post hysterectomy. Is this just a mere coincidence or are there others on this site who have had the same thing happen? thanks.
  2. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

Good question. All I know is that I was fit and healthy going into my hysterectomy 91/2 years ago, and have never been well since.

Even my gynecologist admitted that he thinks the surgery was what triggered my fibromyalgia.

I am seeing a naturapath who has fibro and has done extensive research on the conditon. She firmly believes that there is a definite hormonal connection in many cases.

She even said that had I not had the hyst, I would probably still be healthy and robust. When you lose your uterus, your body can no longer produce progesterin. I know that even though I was only 41, and my ovaries were left, they went into a kind of shock, and I started having hot flashes for a time after the surgery.

Things leveled out for a while as far as my hormones, but now, at age 50, I am in full blown menopause, as I have so many symptoms.

She has said she's seen many many women who develop fibro after a hysterectomy, and I have to agree, it' just one of many causes.
  3. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

My best friend had a hysteroctemy in her late 20's and developed chronic fatigue that lasted for a few years afterward.
  4. DonnaTerr

DonnaTerr New Member

Thanks for the reply Marji. I too left my ovaries. I also had the brief hotflashes. I have also had so many problems after my hyst. I had it at 33 for early stage cancer and hemorrhaging. I actually had an easier time with that because once they removed my uterus, all those problems ceased to exist. Yet since my surgery I have never had the same energy level, and in the last 9 months no longer feel comfortable in my own body. Other women I have spoken with said they too were diagnosed with CFS or FMS after hyst's. Ahh to be a woman.
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

It's all in my bio. That may be why I don't have any CFS sympoms. Mine was trauma-induced from the surgery. I have read that FMS developed after a hysterectomy is more common that we think.

I feel that there is no viral component to my FMS. No sore throats, swollen glands or fatigue beyond the normal for a person who is pretty inactive. Just pain!!!

I would like to know how many here only have FMS symptoms. I would hazard a guess that their FMS was trama-induced and not viral. I think you have to look into your history with this before you start treating viral infections if there is no basis for it.

That's why I don't think the FFC's would be worth the money for me. They seem to treat viral symptoms and I just don't have any.

Looking forward to seeing how many have a hysterectomy trigger.

Take care, Sally
  6. gfe281f

gfe281f New Member

My symptoms also have no viral component, did begin after my radical hysterectomy at age 38, have continued to intensify to increasingly disabling pain. I also have symmetric osteoporosis which has advanced much faster since the hysterectomy. I believe there is a connection here, believe it's unfortunate that hysterectomy has been viewed as a medically insignificant event for so long by the medical community.
  7. chazzsmom99

chazzsmom99 New Member

I had one in 1999, then in 2003 I had breast reduction surgery. I believe it was the breast reduction that triggered my FM. I walked out of the hospital with a serious staph infection that came from that hospital. After several rounds of antibiotics (some were IV), it cleared up. 5-6 months later was when I started developing symptoms of FM. Maybe it's not just a hysterectomy surgery, just major surgery in general?

Peggi
  8. taniar

taniar New Member

I totally believe hysterectomy can bring on FMS.

I used to belong to a support group and found that
    I had a C-section then developed FMS, others had that
    after miscarriage, difficult child birth, and accidents.

9. Vada

Vada New Member

I had my vaginal hysterectomy in 1997 and was diagnosed in 2001 with fms. However, it is thought to have be caused by trauma throughout my childhood. LaVada
  10. pmj952

pmj952 New Member

Hi All!

I had a complete hysterectomy in 1996 and developed FMS immediately afterwards. I came home from the hospital unable to sleep "normally". Went from there to complete insomnia. It's been downhill ever since.

None of the bagillion doctor's I've seen will concur with this theory, but I can tell by this thread that many of you seem to have the same experience. :(
    Deb
  11. Musica

Musica New Member

I know the people who tend to answer these types of questions are the ones who have affirmative answers - yes to FM problems after a hysterectomy. HOWEVER, I am still on the brink of being dx'd with FM and am waiting to have a hysterectomy.

In fact, I posted about hysterectomy and FM not too long ago.

I believe my OB GYN told me I wouldn't need progestin if my ovaries are taken, since I would no longer have ovaries that need to be stimulated. (I think that's what he said, but I wouldn't bet on it.) I would only need estrogen, which is good for the heart, building bones, etc.

Where I am right now, I have rheumatoid arthritis under control but ongoing symptoms. Rheumy and I finally talked about an FM diagnosis at last visit. He (and PCP) think it is possible my very large fibroid may be pressing on nerves or something and causing pain, so they would like to see the hysterectomy to see if it actually reduces the pain level. Of course, from what you all are saying, the opposite could be true. So this hysterectomy on Oct. 12 could either make things better or worse, but it sounds like not the same.

Yet, rheumy wants me to take care of known problems that could be creating symptoms, instead of him ordering tests to rule out unknowns like Chiari malformation or a necrotic pelvis, which is what he has been doing to try to reach a diagnosis. So how can I not do this?

I must say, it is a little scary to think that I may have FM "lurking" or early on, that maybe become much more symptomatic after surgery. What kind of doc would be able to best address hormones and FM? Do many OB GYNS know about this?
  12. Musica

Musica New Member

I know the people who tend to answer these types of questions are the ones who have affirmative answers - yes to FM problems after a hysterectomy. HOWEVER, I am still on the brink of being dx'd with FM and am waiting to have a hysterectomy.

In fact, I posted about hysterectomy and FM not too long ago.

I believe my OB GYN told me I wouldn't need progestin if my ovaries are taken, since I would no longer have ovaries that need to be stimulated. (I think that's what he said, but I wouldn't bet on it.) I would only need estrogen, which is good for the heart, building bones, etc.

Where I am right now, I have rheumatoid arthritis under control but ongoing symptoms. Rheumy and I finally talked about an FM diagnosis at last visit. He (and PCP) think it is possible my very large fibroid may be pressing on nerves or something and causing pain, so they would like to see the hysterectomy to see if it actually reduces the pain level. Of course, from what you all are saying, the opposite could be true. So this hysterectomy on Oct. 12 could either make things better or worse, but it sounds like not the same.

Yet, rheumy wants me to take care of known problems that could be creating symptoms, instead of him ordering tests to rule out unknowns like Chiari malformation or a necrotic pelvis, which is what he has been doing to try to reach a diagnosis. So how can I not do this?

I must say, it is a little scary to think that I may have FM "lurking" or early on, that maybe become much more symptomatic after surgery. What kind of doc would be able to best address hormones and FM? Do many OB GYNS know about this?
  13. Dara

Dara New Member

The day of surgery I was given HRT and after recovering from the surgery I felt great.

I had large fibroid tumors, that did turn out to be malignant.

But I did have FMS before the hysterectomy. I felt better after the surgery because I no longer had the extensive bleeding and pain every month. The periods were lasting as long as several weeks. It was a relief to finally put an end to it.

But, since they took my Premarin away from me about a year ago, it is hell. I have very bad hot flashes and would do anything to be back on the Premarin.

Dara