ANOTHER QUESTION RE: WHEY PROTEIN POWDER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I just bought "Whey to Go" - a whey protein poweder by Solgar. I bought it in vanilla because it's lower in sugar than chocolate. Well, I had it in a glass of milk this morning. Not only did it taste like crap, but it made me so nauseous all morning! So, now I have this stuff that makes me sick and tastes awful - what do I do now? I've spent so much money on supplements and things, and I don't want to throw this stuff out, but it tastes awful. What should I do?

Annette2
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry that this stuff is making you sick. I take the ImmunPlex sold here; I have it on auto ordering. It is vanilla, but they also have chocolate. Dr. Cheney recommends the whey sold here.

I mix mine with milk, with low-carb fruit juice for a smoothie, with diet (Splenda) orange soda for an orange Dreamsicle drink, and with cottage cheese with SomerSweet and cinnamon for a pudding-like mixture (my curds and whey :)

I hope you can find a way to use your product because the whey is so good for your immune systems. Are you allergic to dairy?

Love, Mikie
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I don't think I'm allergic to dairy. I like the chocolate flavored whey, but it has more calories than the vanilla. This vanilla just tastes like crap. I don't know what to do. I can't keep spending money. I thought I'd try it in milk first, because it would be better than putting it in water. But I can't stand the taste. I only drink water and decaff coffee. I stopped drinking juice. I suppose I can put it in cottage cheese - maybe it won't taste as bad. How much do you put in cottage cheese?

Annette2

P.S. - I know this sounds stupid, but how can you tell it is helping you?
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2003]
  4. Pippat

Pippat New Member

Do you think that you could tolerate it in your coffee? Every now & then? Pretend that you have a french coffee. LOL Pippat
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'll tell you - the way it made me feel this morning I'm ready to throw it out the window! I think I'll try it in cottage cheese with cinnamon. At least I can hopefully hide the flavor that way. Do you take whey too?

Annette2
  6. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

I switch between chocolate and vanilla whey protein. I use a blender and mix them in milk, but I put half a banana in the vanilla. Makes a big difference. :) You can also use fresh or frozen strawberries, blueberries, etc.

As for knowing whether it helps you or not, go by how you feel. My blood sugar stays stable all morning until I have lunch, which is a big factor for me. And I have more energy because of the high protein content. If I have too many carbs early in the day... I'm crashing by noon. :(

Let us know how you make out with the stuff!

Cheryll
  7. Solstice

Solstice New Member

I considered posting a question about a protein powder yesterday.

I am hypoglycemic. And I think this protein powder would help me. Am I right?

However, I am not sure if I am allergic to wheat or dairy. And I don't want anything that has any dyes or sugar or anything else unnatural. Is there such a product to meet all the above criteria???

Yesterday I had for breakfast a piece of cantelope, then an half hour later some yogurt with granola with raspberries. It must have been too much sugar for me, cuz I could not function the rest of the day.

Do you think protein powder would help me?? Anyone???

As far as this protein powder that you have now. I would throw it out if you don't like it.
    I know how discouraging and expensive that is though. I don't always take that advise myself, but should cuz I have cupboards full of supplements and other crap that I bought and now don't even remember why. We get so desperate that we want to try everything, and it does get expensive.

Solstice
  8. memaw

memaw New Member

Annette2, mixing them might make it more palatable for you. I use NOW brand and while I don't really like any of them, I find the vanilla ok. Also, if I mix it with more liquid, it helps. The protein will help you to stay away from the sweets and carbs that aggavate our ailment.
  9. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm going to do that - mix chocolate and vanilla. I put some of the vanilla in my cottage cheese. It wasn't great, but better than drinking it. I think if I mix the two flavors it will be more palatable.

Solstice - to answer your question - I like the protein powder because I have hypoglycemia too and if I drink it I'm sure to get my protein and not get that funny feeling when my blood sugar drops. I use "Whey to Go" which is made by Solgar. I love the chocolate flavor. There is nothing artificial in it - you can look on-line and read what the ingredients are. There are others, and I think Mikie said there is one from the Immunesupport website. Also, if you do a Search for "whey" you'll find lots of info about it.

Thanks to everyone - I'm going to stick with this until I don't get sick!

Annette2
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have used unsweetened cocoa powder with it and sweetened it up with SomerSweet or Splanda. I also sweeten it in the cottage cheese. I put one scoop in the cottage cheese just like in a drink.

I think it is helping me because I am better all over and I know that wouldn't happen without building the immune system back up. Same with the colostrum.

BTW, if you use it in coffee, make sure it's iced coffee. It shouldn't be heated. I use strong coffee/decaf with lots of half and half and sweeten it and pour it over ice for a nice cold frappucino like the expensive stuff at the store. I have't tried putting my when in it but I bet it would work fine. You can add the cocoa powder for mocha too.

Good luck with this stuff.

Love, Mikie