Another question - rhuemitoid factor - blood work results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovinlifeinAK, Oct 6, 2005.

1. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

Just got back from the doctor to go over the blood work the back doctor wanted and my rhuemitoid level is elevated, as well as the one for inflamation. Doc wants to focus on getting answers for my extremely elvated estrogen level, which I posted a few days ago.

I am just curious what it could mean, as all my blood tests for inflamantion, etc, had all been in the normal range.
  2. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

he wants to get my estrogen level (which is at 2066, normal is 400-800). My RA #: 28.6 (high norm 13.9), I can not remember the other inflammtion #. I hope he gets ahold of the endo doc soon. Pain is becoming unbearable. My joints and muscle. Then the bloating everywhere.
  3. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

for replies - maybe???
  4. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

5. lisadot

lisadot New Member

I don't know lovinlifeinAK. What did he tell you? Anything about your thyroid levels at all? I think we'd all be guessing, as I've done in the title what could be the true problem. And I totally understand and empathize with you about it being scary not to know what the heck is going on with your own body. Do you have any family history of arthritis?

I just read your bio, and I am glad you are with someone who sounds loving and caring this go-around. I hope he can support you through this time of waiting. It sounds like you've had more than your fair share of pain - emotional and physical. We were born into a family, we didn't pick them. I can relate there. Friends we chose.

(((((((lovinlifeinAK))))))))

lisadot

6. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

re: thyroid after 9 months of regular checks and getting my thyroid back to the level my body likes, it to has suddendly gone on the high end as well. I suppose I will have to wait till my Friday appt with the endo doc. I will give you an update.

I have my reg doc baffled as I am already on .2 mcg of synthroid.
  7. Musica

Musica New Member

Most regular docs aren't very well versed in rheumatoid arthritis. Just because you don't see damage yet doesn't mean it isn't occurring. Let's see if I can explain some stuff here.

First, rheumatoid factors can be negative and yet you can still have RA, since there is such a thing as "seronegative RA". Meaning, the rheumatoid factor is not in your blood, but the immune system is still working against you. The immune system gets confused and thinks our body is the enemy! So, it attacks synovial linings and soft tissue first, mostly in the smaller joints to begin with. You might not see much happening except maybe some swelling, but you probably would feel pain around your joints. And they usually mirror each other - both hands, both feet, both ankles, etc.

I had a RF of about 136. It was definitely high, but some have them 500 or more! Some people can have a positive RF but never develop RA, either. It just means that the potential is there, but it might not develop into anything.

If you are having swelling and/or pain around joints, especially on both sides of the body, do have a rheumy check you over. Blood tests are only part of the evaluation, and mostly help confirm what the rheumy thinks from exams and patient history. Labs are not the whole story, even if rheumys like them because they are such an objective finding! My rheumy says what I tell him counts more than anything else.

If you have a positive RF, or pain on both sides of the body with swelling, I would strongly encourage an evaluation for RA. FM may be as painful or more painful than RA, but your immune system isn't eating away at synovial tissue and joints like with RA. Once the immune system eats through synovial linings, it starts in with the joints, which causes the textbook deformities. There are such good medications now, though, that in most cases those deformities no longer have to occur. But it requires early and aggressive treatment if you do have RA.

Also, inflammatory markers such as SED rate and CRP (C-Reactive Protein) change in all of us. They rise if we are fighting off an infection, cold, flu, etc. Also, inflammation shows up if it has been like that for awhile, not just if you have inflammation for a day. You can have RA and not have high inflammatory markers if there isn't a lot of inflammation or it hasn't been going on for awhile. Inflammation is made up of pain, redness, swelling and something else I can't remember. Swelling and inflammation are not the same thing.

Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2005]
  8. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

he says with the stiffness, swelling, pain in my knees, hands, feet and ankles. Along with having Graves Disease, which is an autoimmune disease that RA is diffently a factor. He gave me an anti inflammatory I can not remember the name. It seems to be helping with the stiffness.

Rhuemy in this state will be a challenge. The last one I saw couldn't hardly see, he also asked his questions at least 3x's - forgetting completly that I had just answered them a second ago. I think there is another one that is coming here....

First I have to get my estrogen back down to normal. But really good advice that I will follow through with. SOON!! Thanks guys
  9. spasco

spasco New Member

You should be tested for Ankylosing Spondilitis. THis has a rheum factor and is somewhat similar to FMS, at least in the pain sector. I don't know all the ins and outs of AS, but I know someone who has it and keeps it somewhat under control via exercising faithfully. He said that if he misses one day, he pays for it dearly. It is worth the tiem to ask some ?'s.

God lbess! Stephanie
  10. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

thanks for the info, I will look into that. Already researching Cushings, why not research other things.
  11. sues1

sues1 New Member

A person with rheumatoid arthritis can also have Fibromyalgia or any other arthritis. My brother has severe
    rheumatoid arthritis. His Dr. is one of the top ones in the country has researched Fibro extensively tying to find a connection. He asks my brother many questions about me on his visits. So far no connection. The Dr. that Fibro hurts more.
    Yet I do not have the twisted limbs and hands and all.
  12. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

Rheumatiod is auto immune disease as well. I do not have any twisting yet. But I tel you what do not TOUCH my knees!! oh and my hands as well.......
  13. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have a slightly elevated rhumetoid function, but the dr wasn't very interested in the results & wouldn't even give me a clear answer as to what the 'rhumetoid function' was *rolleyes*
  14. Nanledaroe

Nanledaroe New Member

I was diagnosed with FMS several years ago but, for a while now, I've been thinking that there had to be something more going on with me. I found a new internist who was highly recommended and made an appt. with him. He has done numerous tests and x-rays and just diagnosed me with Rheumatoid arthritis. My rheumatoid factor is elevated (not sure of the exact number) and he said that x-rays show some bone deterioration in my joints. He put me on methotrexate and I've been taking it for 2 weeks now.

He also ordered a pelvic ultrasound, which found a uterine fibroid. I'm very happy with this new dr. because he's uncovering things that have not been found previously.
  15. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I wish I could help with your question, but no. I just wanted to let you know I think it's about time for new things to stop coming up. Enough! I'm sorry you're having to learn all this new stuff. Hope you're feeling ok today.

Here's a hug!

Francie
  16. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

thanks for your well wishes. I am with you 100% on that fact....no more new conditions PLEASE .... LOL