Another question.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeavenlyRN, Feb 1, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

How do you deal with insomnia? It takes me a loooooong time to get to sleep. Once I do get to sleep, without fail I wake up again in 1 hour - wide awake and not able to get back to sleep for hours.

How do you all deal with this?

ps.......I don't like tea or warm milk!!!
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

i have small radio with headphones. Talk radio stations can relax me to sleep.
    alot of good informational stations too.
  3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Good ideas! I like the talk radio stations too, just seems like I can never get good reception on the ones I want to listen to.

Aussiewoman, I also like drugs! I think after having this crappy illness for so long, I like the usually quick fix that drugs can give me! However, I have started seeing a Naturopath in an attempt to get off some of the drugs I am on and of course, those remedies are a little slower to work. I am finding myself becoming very frustrated that things aren't happening faster. I want to feel better and I want to feel better NOW!!! (Don't we all?!)

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

-very dark room
    -cool temp rm
    -white noise
    -getting off the computer awhile before going to bed (I'm obviously not good at following this one!)
    -when I have had several nights in a row where I just cannot sleep, I will take one of the following for a night or two (& I alt which ones, or they stop being effective): L-tryptophan, Benedryl, Kava Kava (once in a real long while I will also use Flexeril, but I really try to save it for the times when my muscles are really, really knotted up, bc it is the only thing that works when they get really bad and since I can't take most meds, I don't want to take it too often and have it lose its effectiveness....however, it does help me to sleep)
    -other things that help some people, but not me, are valerian and melatonin
  5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I read or go online. When I have insomnia nothing works. I just have to get through it until I can sleep again. :(

6. JLH

JLH New Member

Have you ever had a sleep study done?

If you haven't, I would have one done before I started experimenting with different meds at night. But that's just me.

I would take the advice of some of the others, too. Reading always makes me sleepy. Then I go to bed and always have my TV on all night. It never fails, when I am listening, or watching, a show that I really want to see, I always fall asleep! Thank goodness I have a DVR in my room and I can finish up the program the next day!
  7. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

JLH - I had a sleep study done about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I have mild sleep apnea and no interventions were needed. My husband had one done also and now has a c-pap machine.

I know what you mean about the TV and falling asleep during a show you want to watch! Never fails, does it?

Guess I'll just keep trying different things - hopefully without the use of meds.

Thank you everyone for your ideas.