Another Really Cool site Find your hometown?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Oct 19, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Gang

If you visit this site you can locate your state (in the USA), your county and maybe your hometown. See old postcards from the days when they cost a penny.

When I was a kid a postcard cost a nickel, but it only cost a penny to mail it.

If you go to Fillmore County in Minnesota, you can see the cave where "I Was a Teenage Cave Guide." There were three hundred and seventy-some steps in the cave and I took 3-4 tours a day. Now I couldn't do it once. Ain't life funny?!

2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I looked up your cave and I looked up my was older than what I remember, but still fun!
  3. rockgor

Can't believe people have no interest.

Maybe I shoulda used a more provocative title like: How to Change your man in 3 Easy Steps.

4. rockgor

I found the courthouse. Sort of hodge-podge neo federalist style. Is it still there?

I used to work for the county in Minneapolis, but we were across the street from the courthouse. We would sometimes have people wonder in w/ vague stories of someone in the courthouse telling them to come and see us, the welfare dept.

"Do you know why you were told to come here?"
    The answer frequently was,"No".

I love postcards, especially old ones. Used to have hundreds, but I've gotten rid of most of them over the years.

You are great. Wish the scenery was here.

5. victoria

victoria New Member

there were none for my hometown.

Or the town I live by now.

Or the county I actually do live in even...

Nor do I have any to contribute.

Oh well... it was neat anyway, Rock!

6. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I cannot get on the website it keeps coming back that the website is no longer available?? any suggestions?

Darn it! :) I really wanted to check it out ....I love stuff like this!

7. rockgor

Doxy, don't know if this applies or not. Lately I've gone to some websites and get a message the address is no longer good. But there is also a new address to click. Maybe that will help.

Linda, I got rid of my cards for several reasons. One was beacause I moved so often. And now I'm old and it's the time of life for getting rid of things.

But mostly cause I sent them to my mother. As soon as I got out of college I moved far away from my dysfunctional family. I sent my mother a greeting card 3 x a year: Mother's day, Christmas and birthday.

But after she broke her hip when she was in her 80s, I relented and sent her a post card every working day. Started the day at the office by pulling out a postcard and dashing something off. She told me she was greatly envied by the other gals in the nursing home.

So that used up a 4 or 500 hundred cards.

Collectors are, as we all know, crazy. There is no such thing as too many. But post cards are a good thing to collect. Not very expensive; take up little room; don't need much maintenance. Unlikely they will be stolen.

8. rockgor

Is that the way the hotel looked when you were there? Do you know if it's still there?

Looks like your wedding was the same year I was graduated from college. No wonder I don't feel so spry anymore.