another serious warning about calcium

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by IanH, Feb 5, 2013.

1. IanH

IanH Active Member

While calcium supplementation is promoted for bone disease, eg osteoporosis it is increasingly shown to be quite damaging to the cardiovascular system. If you take calcium then it is important to take vitamin D and magnesium. If you take vitamin d you will not need more than 400-500mg calcium supplement per day even if you at risk for osteoporosis, even less if you do drink >300ml milk daily.

Similarly it is vital to keep your calcium to magnesium ratio low, so if you take 400mg calcium daily then you should be taking at least 200mg magnesium daily.

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=More%20than%20400%20mg%20of%20Calcium%20supplements%20caused%20cardiovascular%20deaths%20in%20men%20-%20Feb%202013
  2. lesliesue

lesliesue New Member

Kale has calcium and magnesium....and a ton of other stuff. Terrific veggie! Thanks for the info, Ian.
  3. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

I think over the years there has been a little bit too much focus on calcium for bone health. It is pretty easy to get a lot of calcium in the diet.

There are other importants vitamins and minerals involved in bone formation and maintanence. Strontium, Boron, Vitamin K2, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, Selenium, and Zinc are very important.

There are also many phytochemicals, other nutrient molecules, and certain fats found in foods that have been associated with better bone health.

Steve
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

Go here first then choose the first item on the list:
    http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=New%20pages

More than 400 mg of Calcium supplements caused cardiovascular deaths in men - Feb 2013

While this is for men, if I were a woman I too would be just as cautious and anyway we do know that if you take vitamin D >2000IU daily you need only around 500mg calcium supplementation.

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Ian, thanks for the info. I'm afraid this is something I've been ignoring for awhile and will no longer!

Jam, my doctor has me taking a rather high amount of calcium and I'm going to switch to the Rainbow Light product on your recommendation. It looks very good.

I've been taking a lot of magnesium for many years but a lot of calcium too ---

Mary
  6. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

More info here :

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/02/04/calcium-supplements-heart-attacks/1890897/

jam - please clarify, 800mg D3 is incorrect.
  7. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Dr. Teitelbaum's new book, Real Cause, Real Cures.... talks about the issues of Calcium supplementing and the latest research. Most of us get enough Calcium in our diets through dairy and veggies. I was surprised by some of the research since we have heard for so many years we need to take Calcium for our bones. Dr. T.'s new book is a good read and reference book on body health and needs.
  8. IanH

IanH Active Member

While this study didn't find the association for women, previous re-analysis of the WHI study by Dr. Mark Bolland (University of Auckland NZ) found such a relationship. This study suggested that people who take vitamin D must not take calcium greater than supplied by diet alone. Or, I suggest, no more than 400mg for bone-at-risk people.

Anyone taking greater amounts of prescribed calcium but who take vitamin D privately should resolve this issue with their doctor.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Told me to stop taking my calcium supplement. It is also implicated in some cancers.

Love, Mikie