Another Sick German Shepherd

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by findmind, Oct 19, 2007.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

One and a half years ago my DP and I came home and found our old Shepherd had died by our patio entrance door. It was devastating.

Now, her 7 year old companion and our other beloved Shepherd has a tumor that is growing slowly and pushing her esophagus aside, closing it off.

It is terrible. There is no hope for her. We are feeding her a liquified diet in the blender, but she's throwing up 8-9 times a day.

Vet says she's in no pain as of yet, and if we can keep enough food in her (6 times a day!..we are so tired) plus all the pills, she may last 3 months, maybe less, maybe more.

It is sooooo hard to watch a loved pet die slowly. We are a crying mess. Of course then we flash back to our other one that died.

Just wanted to tell you all...
  2. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i am so sorry to hear it. i really am. hugs to you.

bigmama2 (another dog lover)
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

I am so sorry to hear this, I know how your dogs mean to both of you. My heart goes out to you. It is hard to watch them suffer so and even harder to see them go.

She will let you know when it time for her to go-take care hugs and prayers to both of you-Carla
  4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your dogs. It is difficult.

However i do want to offer a this point, and i hope it dosen't sound heartless to you.

I too found my 10 year old Great Dane streched out dead on my front porch about 2 years ago. And i do miss her.

But i new she was old, and i was so relieved that she died peacefully. I was dreading the thought of having to haul her in to the vet and have her put down when her "time" came.

Lying on the porch in the sun was her favorite place to be.
    I'm glad she did not suffer.

5. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I an so sorry about your fur baby. I am a dog lover too. I have 4 yorkies in the house and a great dane who gets to come in and out. The other post brought back memoriers of my most beloved dog. His name was Lucky. He would back up to the couch and sit on my lap with his big ol' butt, haha!
    Great Danes are not one of the healthiest of breeds. They don't usually live past 7-8 years. One day I had let hi out in the back yard and found him later that day, just dead under the front porch, his favorite hangout. I had noticed his feet were a bit swollen, so I think he died of heart disesae.
    Anyway, now I have a 6 month old merle female Great Dane. She is so sweet, lets my 3 year old crawl all over her!

Sorry about your pet, I know it does hurt terribl since pets are like family members!

Take Care!

6. mezombie

mezombie Member

I am so sorry to hear of this. It seems you are being hit with one thing after another, doesn't it?

I know how difficult it is to watch a beloved pet like this. Our family dog was failing and I had to travel to my mother's to put her down because she couldn't handle it. And my own first cat died of heart disease at the tender age of four. It was so very hard to deal with.

But I (and you!) know you are strong and will get through this.

I am sure your dog appreciates everything you are doing for her.

Take care, my friend!

7. findmind

findmind New Member

Your caring and concern are so very touching and supportive, thank you so much!

She is doing amazing well this past week, on the food we are liquifying in a blender. It's really a "mush" and she's only thrown up once this week, what a blessing that's been, our tile floors are going to fade away from all the mopping!

Am going to post another question about feeding her, maybe someone can help us with the very difficult liquifying part, as the blender is soooo hard to use for her dry dog food.

Look for that post, ok? Maybe some of you know how to do it more easily.

Again, your friendship and support are so wonderful!

There's always hope!