Another story - mystery illness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rge, Jan 22, 2003.

1. rge

rge New Member

All
    This is a post I have on my yahoo group - Fluoride Poisoning .

Ron Eheman rge@uplogon.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lived with this problem associated with Fluoride for nearly 20
    years, however only within about the past 3 years has it been equated
    to a Fluoride problem.

I've been through a lot: IBS, uncontrollable muscle spasms, chronic
    fatigue, skin eruptions, and hypersomnia. All of these problems
    having idiopathic diagnosis.

Until about 3 years ago, after spending a great deal of money on a
    sleep study only to be diagnosed with hypersomnia...idiopathic
    hypersomnia (a great propensity for sleep existing of unknown
    origin.) While on Ritalin for the hypersomnia, I began my log book
    to determine when the Ritalin would work, and when it wouldn't. The
    patterns in the log were pretty hard not to notice. While there were
    no patterns for when I took the Ritalin and when or how much I'd
    sleep, there was a pattern for the times and amounts of sleep I slept
    vs. the foods I ate. Through research and process of elimination of
    the various things I would ingest, Fluoride became the leading
    culprit for my ails.

So, with this information at hand, the study began. I removed as
    much Fluoride from my diet as possible, while attempting to continue
    the same diet of everything else. This meant no fluorinated water,
    or foods cooked in, packed in, or containing fluorinated water. In
    about a week or so, the results were black and white. The fatigue
    was gone, the long sleep spells were gone. I was cured...or so I
    thought. At my doctor's request, I reintroduced fluoride back into
    myself to see if the symptoms returned. While not his idea, and
    probably not one of my smartest ideas either, I took a small amount
    of fluorinated toothpaste, and ate it. Within an hour, I was in pain
    with cramps, presumably from the toothpaste. Shortly after that, I
    was ready to sleep. I can't recall how long I slept for, but for the
    next few days, I was back to my old self...sleeping more than I was
    awake. That was the last time I tried a stupid thing like that!

So am I cured? No! I am much more sensitive to the Fluoride today
    than I was 3 years ago. More sensitive than ever before. The
    slightest bit can set off a severe bout with fatigue which may only
    last a short time or could last many hours. I have to avoid drinking
    the fluorinated water, avoid eating anything cooked in it or made
    with any substantial amount of it, even bathing in it for any length
    of time brings me down. Similarily to a diebetic, I must constantly
    watch what I eat and drink. I cheat occasionally, and usually pay
    the price for doing so with excess fatigue or sleepiness. But for
    the most part, I have control of it, and it is great to be alive
    again. I used to sleep 80 - 100 hours per week (12 - 14 hours per
    day,) now I sleep less than half that time, and am alert and ready to
    go when I'm awake! And while it may seem strange, sometimes when I
    am ready to go to bed, but am not tired, I'll cheat on my diet, just
    to make it easier to fall asleep.

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am also somewhat sensitive to fluoride. I cannot use the fluoride rinses at the dentist or I get really sick. I recently had to use a heavy-duty fluoride gel for a sensitie tooth and it kept making me sicker and sicker til I finally had trouble breathing, so I had to quit it.

I may go back to brushing my teeth with baking soda and peroxide although the toothpaste doesn't seem to cause me problems at the smaller amount. However, even a little bit at a time might be making me sick too.

I recently had a bad reaction to Cipro and wonder whether it has fluoride in it since it's classified as a fluoroquinolone. Perhaps Madwolf will see this and have some input. Poor Madwolf; he's got more patients here than in his own practice :)

Love, Mikie
  3. rge

rge New Member

Micki et al

Fluoroquinolones - People are having ADR's to all the drugs in this family of antibiotics.

A google search on CIPRO FLUORIDE - pick one of the over 1,000 web sites that come up. Here's one

64.177.90.157/pfpc/html/cipro.html - don't forget to put the http:// in front! This is a long paper - these are excerpts:

WHAT IS CIPRO?

CIPRO is ciprofloxacin, a fluorinated quinolone, belonging to a class of fluorinated antibiotics which also include enoxacin, fleroxacin, temafloxacin, grepafloxacin, norfloxacin, sparfloxacin, tosufloxacin, lomefloxacin, ofloxacin, etc..

Fatal liver failure associated with ciprofloxacin was reported in the Lancet in 1994 (7, 8 -> 150 more related refs).

Ciprofloxacin has been implicated in several cases of acute renal failure and is the most established fluoroquinolone to cause such renal dysfunction (4, 9, 10, 11 -> 96 related refs).

FLUORIDE

The most common side-effects reported due to CIPRO (2-16%) are gastrointestinal in nature and equal those reported when children accidentally ingest "too much" fluoride from their toothpaste - such as nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Why?

Ciprofloxacin administration results in elevated serum fluoride levels (12). In a series of tests evaluating the safety of ciprofloxacin in children, serum fluoride levels increased after 12 hours in 79% of the children; on day 7 the 24-hour urinary fluoride excretion was higher in 88.9% of children observed (12).

Just as in the case of Baycol and other fluorinated drugs, CIPRO can cause musculo-skeletal disorders such as rhabdomyolysis.

Just like BAYCOL and other fluorinated drugs, ciprofloxacin is a potent inhibitor of the thyroid hormone-regulated P 450 enzyme system in the liver. Of all fluoroquinolones, ciprofloxacin and enoxacin have shown the greatest inhibitory capacity (4).

P450 IA2 prevents the metabolism/inactivation of methylxanthines, thereby causing increased serum concentrations of drugs like theophylline and caffeine, which in turn causes excess CNS and cardiac stimulation. As mentioned above, CIPRO also elevates serum fluoride levels.

While the FDA in August 2000 approved CIPRO as the first-line treatment against anthrax, a few months later (October 2000) it asked Bayer to remove BAYTRIL - its equivalent for animals.

PHOTOSENSITIVITY

Photosensitization can result when light interacts with chemical agents in the skin and eyes. This process can produce undesirable clinical consequences, such as phototoxicity (i.e. exaggerated sunburn), photoallergy, or photocarcinogenicity. People receiving CIPRO or any other fluoroquinolone are warned on the product inserts not to expose themselves to direct sunlight. Rashs develop on the areas exposed.

Upon UVA-irradiation the "fluorine" of numerous fluoroquinolones such as lomefloxacin and fleroxacin, are "lost" as fluoride (36).

OTHER CIPRO SIDE EFFECTS (29):

Abnormal dread or fear, achiness, bleeding in the stomach and/or intestines, blood clots in the lungs, blurred vision, change in color perception, chills, confusion, constipation, convulsions, coughing up blood, decreased vision, depression, difficulty in swallowing, dizziness, double vision, drowsiness, eye pain, fainting, fever, flushing, gas, gout flare up, hallucinations, hearing loss, heart attack, hiccups, high blood pressure, hives, inability to fall or stay asleep, inability to urinate, indigestion, intestinal inflammation, involuntary eye movement, irregular heartbeat, irritability, itching, joint or back pain, joint stiffness, kidney failure, labored breathing, lack of muscle coordination, lack or loss of appetite, large volumes of urine, light-headedness, loss of sense of identity, loss of sense of smell, mouth sores, neck pain, nightmares, nosebleed, pounding heartbeat, ringing in the ears, seizures, sensitivity to light, severe allergic reaction, skin peeling, redness, sluggishness, speech difficulties, swelling of the face, neck, lips, eyes, or hands, swelling of the throat, tender, red bumps on skin, tingling sensation, tremors, unpleasant taste, unusual darkening of the skin, vaginal inflammation, vague feeling of illness, weakness, yellowed eyes and skin.

CIPRO causes fluoride poisoning. Will any practioner know how to deal with this, considering that the ADA has shielded all from proper knowledge of fluoride toxicity?

Andreas Schuld, Wendy Small, Trent Harris
    Parents of Fluoride Poisoned Children (PFPC)
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

[This Message was Edited on 01/23/2003]