ANOTHER STRANGE SYMPTOM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deblin, Nov 9, 2006.

1. deblin

deblin New Member

DOES ANYONE EVER HAVE A SORT OF FEELING THAT THE ESOPHAGEUS CONTRACTS , ENOUGH TO WHERE IT TAKES YOUR BREATH.
    had this for awile now and seems to be getting worse, had my heart checked out awhile back so i know its not my heart.

too scared to go to doctor
  2. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Yep it's called esophageal spasm. It is horrible and very very painful. Talk to your Doc about it and tell him that's what you think it is, he or she can write you a prescription for Hyoscamine. It will help calm down the esophagus spasm.
    So sorry you have that it. You should go to the Doc though to get checked out. I'm not a Doctor but I play one on TV, ok so that was a bad joke but really go to the Doctor!
    (((soft huggies)))
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2006]
  3. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

Years ago, before all this stuff, I had a lot of heartburn and didn't get it treated. I finally got spasms when I would eat or drink. My esophagus had eroded from the acid and was no longer functioning well. I was put on Protonix and it eventually healed fairly well, but I'll be on the drug forever. The damaged cells in my esophagus were replaced with intestinal cells instead of esophagus cells, and they are much more suseptible to cancer. It's called Barrett's Esophagus, and I have to have a camera down my throat every couple years to watch it.

My wife learned from the experience and as soon as she started with spasms she got on over-the-counter Prilosec. It isn't strong enough for me, but she is well controlled now.