Another stupid question from me....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen55, Feb 2, 2003.

1. karen55

karen55 New Member

How long does a *flare* generally last??? I was under the (mistaken?) impression a week or so? I've been feeling so much worse for several weeks. I attributed some of it to the unseasonably cold weather we had, but that's past for now. I had one day early last week where I thought I was getting better. Not so. This is so miserable. I'm reading books on candida and diet, I'm trying every I can think of. I'm taking more supplements. I've never hurt so much in my life. I feel like I'm moving at the pace of an 80 y/o right now.

Karen
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are no stupid questions. Flares, like everything else with our illnesses, are different for everyone. My own flares are of varying durations. For me, it all depends on how run down I am when the flare starts, whether I have been exposed to something toxic, my diet, and the weather.

Love, Mikie
  3. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Dear Karen:
    I used to have normal "flares" of a few days or week, but now the "norm" for me is weeks to months of severe pain. So I now look at flares in a different way. I look at times of normal baseline pain as normal, and the other as severe flares. The normal time is less and less, and the so called flares are now the norm and last a long time.
    I know this sounds crazy, but don't know how else to explain it.
    sue
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

I use to have flares that would last just a couple of days or so and I could still work during that time. For over the past year I feel as if I have been in one continual flare. I do not have any pain-free days at all anymore, it is the normal way for me now. I also think that as we get older it gets harder to tolerate the constant pain. I remember a doctor told me once that as I got older the Fibromyalgia would start to subside, well - I have to totally disagree with that opinion, it certainly isn't happening for me.

Dara
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I am the same way. It used to be, my flares would last maybe a week or so, and then I would feel fine. Now it's the other way around. My flares last a few months, and the good times are less and less. I don't believe the doctors who say FMS is NOT a progressive illness - I think it is very definitely progressive!!!!

Annette2
  6. seaview

seaview New Member

But, unfortunately I have no encouraging words since I have been in awful pain for 4 years now....Before that it was grin and bear it.....for 15 years...Very sad considering I am only 40. So, take care of yourself and keep searching for what will work for you....Blessings Kathleen
  7. Seagull

Seagull New Member

from one part of my body to another or several parts at a time. They can last from a few hours to several days and even weeks. And, changes in the weather can bring them on, for me at least.
  8. karen55

karen55 New Member

I think I can cope with this a little better now, I think I have a little better grasp on what's going on with my body now. I guess I just *assumed* that a flare would last a few days or a week at most. I'm trying to be cheerful right now, or at least to not complain too much. Probably shouldn't even worry about that, huh?

I go back to the endocrinologist tomorrow, hopefully will get some more info on this IGF-1 deficiency, find out how they want to attempt to stimulate it's production, etc. I see my osteo on Friday, can't wait for that appointment, he's the one who is actually treating me and prescribing my meds for the FM.

Hopefully we will ALL have a better week.

Thanks again, for the continued support.

Karen

[ advertisement ]